Generators Inverter or generator

guido4475

Not a Member
Ideally, you'd have both a generator and a house battery. The generator can recharge the house bank when it's running. For small loads, running a generator is incredibly inefficient, so that's where running off a house bank makes more sense. Firing up a generator to run a fan for a few hours or watch TV is crazy when you can do that off a battery bank.

Yes, you are correct, running a generator for a few hours to run just the lighter load objects is....But for periods longer than that, I think not...I would rather wear a generator out than the van engine, regardless how long the periods are of running either.That's what I bought the generator for....to take the wear and tear of idling away from the van's engine.....They say one hour of idling a diesel engine is equivalent to like 72 miles of driving..I'm sure it really isn't less for a gas engine as well....but anyway, a generator is alot cheaper to replace than a van engine, by far. Idling is just plain ludicrous in my book.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, you are correct, running a generator for a few hours to run just the lighter load objects is....But for periods longer than that, I think not...I would rather wear a generator out than the van engine, regardless how long the periods are of running either.That's what I bought the generator for....to take the wear and tear of idling away from the van's engine.....They say one hour of idling a diesel engine is equivalent to like 72 miles of driving..I'm sure it really isn't less for a gas engine as well....but anyway, a generator is alot cheaper to replace than a van engine, by far. Idling is just plain ludicrous in my book.
It's not an either /or situation of you have a battery bank and a generator. You don't have to idle the engine if you have the generator, and if you also have the battery bank you don't have to run the generator for light loads. You run the generator for heavy loads, and to recharge the battery bank. Vehicle engine not required.

guido4475

Not a Member
It's not an either /or situation of you have a battery bank and a generator. You don't have to idle the engine if you have the generator, and if you also have the battery bank you don't have to run the generator for light loads. You run the generator for heavy loads, and to recharge the battery bank. Vehicle engine not required.

Lol....No sh** Sherlock.....lmao...ya think?....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only problem is the weight issue. The more stuff you carry personally, the less payload you have available. Batteries are heavy, so's the generator. I have a 2500 series Chevy with an 8600lb GVWR. Subtract 160 lb for the generator, maybe double that for a healthy battery bank--- we're up over 450 lbs without batting an eye and we haven't even added anything else yet.

Yeah--- weight costs money, and it's a cost you have to consider.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I usa a 3,500 watt "suitcase" generator that weigh 69 lbs. and one AGM battery... which works fine in all situations... in our Promasters, which leaves more than 4,000 lbs. load capacity.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I usa a 3,500 watt "suitcase" generator that weigh 69 lbs. and one AGM battery... which works fine in all situations... in our Promasters, which leaves more than 4,000 lbs. load capacity.

4000 lbs. load capacity..... I need your Load 1 van number ....because I wouldn't haul that in MY Promaster ....and I'd like to know how this is possible with 9300 gvw....:rolleyes:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the promasters has a 4317 capacity so it could be close with no fuel.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the promasters has a 4317 capacity so it could be close with no fuel.

The 3500 ext....available cargo is 4148 .....so I guessing a very small person is driving and they stop every 40 miles and put in 2 gallons of gas and they wear the same clothes every day , have no bed , personal items or such ,,,,hmmm no that can't work... He has said it has a suitcase generator plus storage shelves built in for drivers .........hmmm...
Oh now I get it....start subtracting from 10,000 lbs. and then You can haul 4000 lbs capacity.....
What was I thinking going by the Legal GVW sticker on door stating. 9300 ......:D

guido4475

Not a Member

And let me guess....you get over 25 MPG while hauling that much weight, while pulling Jellico mountain doing 85MPH, right?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I wanted to reply, but I had to count to 27 before I did, but by that time I forgot what I wanted to say. Maybe that is good. Lol.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
4000 lbs. load capacity..... I need your Load 1 van number ....because I wouldn't haul that in MY Promaster ....and I'd like to know how this is possible with 9300 gvw....:rolleyes:
Ah... everyone knows my trucks... everyone I care to anyway. If you have a Promaster, you SHOULD know it's 9,350 GVW.

Like I've said many times, why don't you just worry about your own truck and I'll worry about mine. You don't get a vote in my corporation! :p

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The 3500 ext....available cargo is 4148
WRONG!
Printed literature is far less than the legal door sticker... probably the printed specs take into account every option, full of liquids, etc.

AND every Promaster I own has a different capacity on the door jam. The first one I bought was 4,317, the second was 4,407, the third was 4,388, the one I have at HQ right now is 4,268...

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah... everyone knows my trucks... everyone I care to anyway. If you have a Promaster, you SHOULD know it's 9,350 GVW.

Like I've said many times, why don't you just worry about your own truck and I'll worry about mine. You don't get a vote in my corporation! :p

I 'm not saying that Your lieing ...I would just like to see your set up...and see it for my own eyes...weight wise ......I am just concerned that the uneducated Newbie will read your statements and think Promaster =4000 available cargo weight....that's why I would just like to see your set up ....others at several different Expedite companies have shared their thoughts and empty scale tickets and I have only seen 1 PM that could LEGALLY carry 3,600 and it was a bare bones PM.... So if your so willing to show others what we are doing wrong ......