Generators Inverter or generator

wings

Rookie Expediter
Hello. I am new to the business. Been in for 2 months and loving it. Have a ram pro master (sprinter style van). I wanted to add a 2nd battery and an inverter. Went to a truck store and the guy recommended getting a Yamaha generator instead. About the size of a small cooler and then you don't have to mess with the wiring in the truck. It sounds like a good way to go but I worry about theft. Has anyone gone the route of a small generator and if so have you had any theft issues? Obviously I would chain it to the truck. Thanks for the feedback.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If you are going to run an air conditioner, the answer is to have both. The generator to run the air conditioner and the battery / inverter to run everything else.

wings

Rookie Expediter
I'm going to try and go without an a/c unit and just use fans. That may change down the road. Thanks for the tip

guido4475

Not a Member
If you are going to run an air conditioner, the answer is to have both. The generator to run the air conditioner and the battery / inverter to run everything else.

Why not just get a generator big enough to run what you need it to run?

The problem with having a battery bank is that, eventually you still have to run the van to charge them back up, so really, where is the advantage? Weight? A Honda EU3000 generator is like 160#....An Oddysey battery is like 80#, just for one. Why put extra wear and tear on the van's engine, and all of it's components by having a set of batteries? With a generator, you are waiting for a load powering all of you're creature comforts from a generator, completely separate from a van's engine.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Been using my Honda eu2000 for 5+ years...very minimal maintenance. ..if I'm parked ..it's running...$3-4 per day in gas..I'm comfortable. ..powers a/c ..surround sound,micro etc...remember. .YOU are LIVING out here...be as comfortable as you can..you will enjoy it more and in turn be more successful.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If you can't afford both a generator and battery/inverter but who wants to run a generator just to charge a phone, or watch TV, or keep your food refrigerated, or run your computer, or...

Who wants to tend to a generator every so often every single time they stop? A battery/inverter allows you to just plug in... for any length of time with no hassle and virtually no cost.

Sometimes I just want to stop and sleep a few hours as quickly as I can. A fan powered by a battery/inverter is so welcome at those times.

If I'm sitting for days my generator actually charges my battery bank too! No kidding!

That's my advice...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I only installed one marine battery from Walmart. I've never regretted installing it. I power a TV/DVD set, my Espar, some fluorescent lights, a fan and my rooftop vent. Only using a 500 watt inverter. Never had it go dead in one long night. Died once in Laredo sitting for over 2 days without ever starting the van. Didn't actually die, just tripped the inverter low voltage alarm. Worth every penny I spent on it. Have it setup to charge off the van alternator when driving.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm going to try and go without an a/c unit and just use fans. That may change down the road. Thanks for the tip

That may change the first time you sit a couple days in south Texas in the summer, lol. But research the options, so you don't waste money - there's always several ways to accomplish the comfort level required.

guido4475

Not a Member
If you can't afford both a generator and battery/inverter but who wants to run a generator just to charge a phone, or watch TV, or keep your food refrigerated, or run your computer, or...

Who wants to tend to a generator every so often every single time they stop? A battery/inverter allows you to just plug in... for any length of time with no hassle and virtually no cost.

Sometimes I just want to stop and sleep a few hours as quickly as I can. A fan powered by a battery/inverter is so welcome at those times.

If I'm sitting for days my generator actually charges my battery bank too! No kidding!

That's my advice...

How difficult is it to take a cover off of a generator, and turn a key to start it? You make it sound so hard.With my generator, I can plug into shore power as well, either 110 or 30 amp service.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How difficult is it to take a cover off of a generator, and turn a key to start it? You make it sound so hard.With my generator, I can plug into shore power as well, either 110 or 30 amp service.
Ideally, you'd have both a generator and a house battery. The generator can recharge the house bank when it's running. For small loads, running a generator is incredibly inefficient, so that's where running off a house bank makes more sense. Firing up a generator to run a fan for a few hours or watch TV is crazy when you can do that off a battery bank.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

That's my advice...

My Gen is built in..I just have to open 1 door ...pull a cord..and walla. .and all the power I need. .no hassle for me..

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Thanks jimmy. Looks like a generator is the way to go. Thanks for the help

Good luck with what ever decision you make. Keep reading , a lot these old farts , oops I meant cargo van owner/operators , have very helpful advice.

jimmy

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good luck with what ever decision you make. Keep reading , a lot these old farts , oops I meant cargo van owner/operators , have very helpful advice.

jimmy

OldFart.jpg

Reactions: tseders93

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My soultion for the generator

Attachments

• 1410108831374.jpg
    1410108831374.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 77