Inverter help!!

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know anything about inverters? We do not own the truck and are trying to find a solution to our issue if possible before getting a shop involved. We have a tripac generator with the 1800 watt inverter. Has worked perfectly until this afternoon. I exclusively use this inverter to cook our meals so I'm getting stressed now lol.

We've never used more than one item at a time, and highest rated appliance we've used was 800 watts. Always have generator going and turn inverter off when not in use. Like I said, runs perfect. We've been sitting a few days, running generator to power items and cool us down. Decided to try the TV and small DVD player on our little table instead of the cubby area and plugged it into the inverter. This is when the trouble started.

Now it flashes the code that means overload and has the red light for a fault. Unplugged items, ran the generator to make sure it was charged, and now even if we turn the inverter on after a few seconds with nothing even plugged in it says the same code . This code means overload or short circuit at the output. How or what could we do to look at this? Is this complicated and only a shop should even attempt it?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wouldn't attempt to diagnose the problem, but I would recommend spending some time on the Inverters R Us site to learn something about this invaluable part of our equipment. It will help you determine what size inverter you should use, and how to avoid problems.
Hope you get it resolved quick - we really do depend on the inverter, every day.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, not going to try and fix it. Just curious if anyone knew about them. I know it wasn't overloaded. I always check the appliances I use and I use way under what it can deal with. Something just decided to go haywire today for whatever reason. Guess the Max burton stove will be in use for the next few days lol.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's always good to have a Plan B, lol. If worse comes to worst, you can always use the microwave at the truckstop or convenience store, now & then. ;)

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
Now it flashes the code that means overload and has the red light for a fault. Unplugged items, ran the generator to make sure it was charged, and now even if we turn the inverter on after a few seconds with nothing even plugged in it says the same code . This code means overload or short circuit at the output. How or what could we do to look at this? Is this complicated and only a shop should even

First, I would check the circuit breaker box in/for the sleeper. Just turn them all on and off. Also depending on your inverter there are external fuses on it. They look like little white buttons. The other thing you can do is undo your truck battery cables and reconnect them. Oh, and don't use that same plug anymore. If you can't get it to work, you might want to get the batteries tested. Trust me, if I can do it so can you. Doesn't take long at all.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's one of two things: The inverter has finally died. It happens.
Or, it's not getting enough juice from the generator. It might be a circuit breaker or a fuse, but generally when those blow the inverter won't have any power at all, certainly not enough to flash an error code. Could be a loose connection between the generator and the inverter, or the generator isn't outputting the proper amount of power.

My money is on a dead inverter.

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
It's not just those 2 options. I had the same code and I was able to fix my own. I don't even have an apu on my truck. Mine was a battery problem.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
APU / generator / battery
All are different names for "power source."

Just out of curiosity, what s your problem, and exactly how did you fix it on your own? My money is on not being enough juice from the battery (power source).