International trucks

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What does everyone think about International trucks? I have heard horror stories and great things. Is it the same as anything? If you get a good one it's good and the bad ones are bad? Is there a problem with the brand? Just want to know. Thanks, Layoutshooter

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
International has been around a long time and they have a very extensive Dealer Network. I have driven a few of them and they seemed to run ok,just don't get a dump or tow truck chassis.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I have a 9400I tractor, I've found it to be a good truck, it does not ride as smooth as the Century class did but it is much more user friendly when you do a lot of your own maintenace. It is set up so you can replace specific items and not complete assemblies. I would not hesitate to purchase another.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What about their smaller trucks like that 7500 with the HT530 that Alumi-Bunk sells alot of? Layoutshooter

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
The dt/ht530 are no longer made - replaced with the dt/ht570. These bigger engines are supposed to be based upon the dt466 design and I haven't heard of any problems with them? About a year ago I was trying to order up a "Baby 8" tractor and the international salesman told me that the smaller trucks were having problems - unlike the 9400i. Same story with the Freightliner "M2" (made in Mexico) vs. the full size models. I personally think they would be OK if not constantly loaded to max gross.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, loaded to the max? My loads lately have been 4-5 lbs!! Could run them on a bicycle!!! How often are you guys really loaded heavy out there? We seem to be more likely to load 100lbs than 10,000. Layoutshooter

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I drive a 7500 and love it! Took some time getting used to, but the ride is good, turns on a dime. Way different than the older models.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It's a city truck. The layout on the dash isn't like a big rig. Also, I don't care for the 10 spd Eaton in it... very stiff. I don't know if it's common with this truck, but we get leaking thru the seals on the top of both doors when it rains hard. Overall, I'm happy with it tho. Alumibunk's equipment on it is another story. If I decide to get another 7500, I'll get someone else to do the bunk.

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
re: the stiff Eaton tranny - My understanding is that it can take 100k+ miles to "loosen them up". Was this your first "new" Eaton? My 1995 shifts like melted butter but it did have almost a million miles on it when I got it <grin>.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When I first got in it, it had 150k on it. Had to shift without the clutch. Now it has near 250k, and it's still stiff. Not stiff as far as moving the stick, but stiff as far as having a small sweet spot.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Like a meeses ear tight? Heered of that didn't ya?

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
I have to wonder if the newer Eatons that come filled with synthetic lube just don't loosen up like they used to?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Nope... never heard that one, Col. But I seem to remember something about hoot owls and chickens. LOL