international class 8 truck

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Alumi bunk has a few low mile international HT530 trucks with 310hp engines Allison transmissions and 84" sleepers. I am told they are class 8 trucks with 5/500,000 mile warranties. Are these really good trucks, true class 8. Do they compare to Freightliner or sterling

Thank you

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It may be a good truck but remember one very important thing; service.

The problem is if you are in BFE and the truck breaks down and needs Internation specific parts, where is the nearest dealer?

I can't find ht530 anywhere, and their web site has a lot to be desired what a slow painful mess that is. Maybe I am missing something but would the truck be a 9x00 or 7x00 model?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say the 8 to 9000 series are class 8's if that is what you are looking at. You could call a few other dealers with that setup and see how they would classify it. Might be a class 7 with a class 8 drivetrain?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
That may be the engine classification. I think it is comparable to a freightliner m2 112. It does not have the large bumper and swept grille and headlights of the 4300 series. it does not look much larger than most class 7 trucks I have seen. The trucks are on alumi bunks website. The sales rep says they are class 8 trucks with 5/500,000 mile warranty. It is a 33,000 gvw single axle. It has a jake brake.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh...

All that have are 7500 which is a Class 7 truck.

HT530 is a wet sleeve engine.

If it is the $73K truck in their inventory (2004 7500), I would look for a real class 8 and some other way to finance.

One other thing, where is the warentee coming from? Alumibunk or international?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The truck I have is an '04 7500 with a DT433 engine (350 hp I think), a 10 spd tranny, 84" AB special (which feels like a cave). Sounds alot like the truck you're talking about. It's around the size of a FL106. However, this one only had a 2 yr/200k warranty on it. If they tell you one thing about the warranty, make sure you read the fine print to make sure it's fact.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
The HT530 is a larger version of the DT466, Same block, bigger bore and stroke, The HT is for High Torque probably in the 900 to 1100 ft/lbs range, 530 is the cubic inch displacement. A lot of the overnite freight haulers use these with a single axle Navistar tractors pulling doubles, as stated earlier it is a wet sleeve engine.
I am not sure if this engine survived the 2007 clean air standards

I would consider this to be more a class 7 engine; not enough torque for an over the road class 8 tractor But probably an excellent engine for a straight truck in any occupation.