Interesting Ford Full Size Transit Ecoboost

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Everything I had heard about this van is that it would be front wheel drive. Looks like that might be wrong...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You guys wait until they come out with the right info.

The problem with the 3.5 is the longevity of the engine is no where near what one would expect. It is an aluminum block and head with an overhead cam and it seems to have the same issue with head gaskets as the 3.0 the design used.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Why don't you just tell us.

LOL...Anyhow..Yea the 3.5 is such a "piece" that won't last that Ford as used it since 2011 in the F-150, in 2012 they offered it in the Explorer and the Edge....it is best selling 6 cyl across the board when compared with Chevy/GMc and Dodge trucks....I mean i really don't understand why Ford would risk putting such a "piece" into sooo many units with the risk and chance of them not lasting and having to make massives repairs..what are they thinking....

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have seen recalls in the millions of units. Not saying the ford engine is bad (I honestly don't know. only seen the badge on a truck) just saying poor designs and parts can and do get in to the supply chain in HUGE numbers. (Caddi northstar engine comes to mind, fords 4.2 V6, fords 5.4 heads and spark plug problems)

That said. By the time this transit is in my price range, the engine will be well tested ;)

I'd rather have a front wheel drive unit with a diesel engine. The lack of drive train to the rear should allow for a lower floor. I could be tempted to borrow or sell of some stock to buy one of those.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why don't you just tell us.

I just did.

Dennis, the engine is new, the design is old, they have had problems with the 3.0 aluminum block/head design in both the real world and in testing. Just because it works in a pickup, which isn't used like we use the vans, does not mean there won't be problems. So I will be laughing at you guys when you get the bill for replacing the head gasket and find out that includes an engine. By the way they have a great track record of having the best engines out in the market, the 6.0 is a good example.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What was i thinking...I and others should have know that greg had the access to Fords testing data and the repair claims be they warranty or customer pay to these 3.5 "pieces".....For me to call into question gregs statements was just foolishness on my part, please forgive me....:rolleyes:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
....I mean i really don't understand why Ford would risk putting such a "piece" into sooo many units with the risk and chance of them not lasting and having to make massives repairs..what are they thinking....

......By the way they have a great track record of having the best engines out in the market, the 6.0 is a good example.

Just when I was fixin' to respond to Dennis over this statement.....I ran across what Greg said.

You were being Funny....Trying to Make a "JOKE"......RIGHT??? :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well you know I am. The fiasco that was the 6.0 has a lot of people hesitant about a ford in their future and what is really laughable is how there is a fawning about something that no one has a clue over or remembering the basic buying rule - don't buy something that has come out but wait for three model years - at this forum.

As to answer your question dennis, yes I do have access to that info as much as I can stop in at their Allen Park testing facility and see what's going on. Can you?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Ford must be operating under the old adage If its not broke, fix it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
Well you know I am. The fiasco that was the 6.0 has a lot of people hesitant about a ford in their future and what is really laughable is how there is a fawning about something that no one has a clue over or remembering the basic buying rule - don't buy something that has come out but wait for three model years - at this forum.

As to answer your question dennis, yes I do have access to that info as much as I can stop in at their Allen Park testing facility and see what's going on. Can you?

The 6.0 diesel engine, as well as the awesome 7.3 diesel engine, both used by Ford, but manufactured by International.They both were never a Ford engine.The new 6.7 diesel is designed and made by Ford.The 6.0 was a replacement for the 7.3 as an answer to the 7.3 not meeting the requirements by the EPA.go to powerstrokehelp.com for references.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Guido I understand that, from what i was told the 7.3 could have met the EPA requirements but it was at the end of it's life cycle which made it an easy decision.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
greg334 wrote:

Nope my connections with Ford are in building 1 & 6 on the Roush Campus....:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Really, well that's good to know. Then you will understand that there is a difference between rumor and fact and would been told the same thing I was about it.

Honestly you guys are funny.

guido4475

Not a Member
I am typing this word for word from the article from Heavy duty trucking magazine, (The engine part) January 2012 edition. The article is about the demise of the Econoline van, and the replacement Transit van, which will be made in Kansas City.It was first introduced in Europe in 1955.It will be 300# lighter, and get 25% better fuel economy."And is presently powered by three small diesel engine engines.The larger configurations will be built here, and one or more of the diesel engines will be used,probably along with a gasoline engine."The manual transmission, which is standard in the european models, are being debated for here, leaving the automatic as standard equipment.Someone I know with a great wealth of knowledge told me there are 4 or 5 of them sitting at some Ford facility off of 94, in plain sight, unsecured.Can anyone go and see what engine they have??? lol...