Interesting Email

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The point I was trying to make and it got lost because of another issue is that the average contractor may not be the one who is hurt by declining rates if they decide to weather the storm as much as the one’s who decide to make rather large expenditures in fancy equipment to do the same job.

What I mean is that many of us ‘poor’ truck owners didn’t chase the dream and buy $100K plus piece of equipment with a super apartment on wheels to do the work. I, like many others took the minimalist approach to life on the road and sacrificed the satellite TV, shower, fold out table and other things so we don’t have to worry about my monthly payment as much as the other guy who has three times the truck payment as I do for the essentially the same capabilities than I have.

My only disadvantage in comparison with others is I am a single operator and this is the only place where many with these apartments on wheels have the advantage over me.

I think leaning operations at the time would be sufficient enough to deal with declining rates for most, but at the same time I see a true disaster brewing on the horizon within the FedEx by using this path to capture/retain customers – including what is mentioned about the email.

As Dave mentioned, “The big difference I see is that a lot of specialized freight like WG/reefer is really starting to drop their rates.†which is true. I had a run this past week that should have paid $700 minimal but only paid $550 when all was said and done. Knowing the customer very well I assume that FedEx offered different options and they with their arrogance settled on the same service discounted to prevent them from shopping around. In the case of my run, I know there were two WG trucks closer and I know both refused the run so it was handed to a surface truck to take care of. Tie this in with the issue of discounting customer services within the same company, like LTL opposed to CC opposed to what ever and you may see a reduction in the overall fleet and a possible elimination of WG as we know it in order to shift the work more to surface owners who can handle specialized shipments so not to worry about the discrepancies of WG rates opposed to surface rates or the possibility of no FedEx trucks handling the shipment at all.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I also received this e-mail and was surprised that not only was there no mention of Custom Critical in the ad, but a strong sales pitch from Virginia Albanese as president and ceo of Fed Ex Truckload Brokerage.
I see this as some of the others have remarked, that Fed Ex is trying to get every load and is not concerned whether it is expedited or not.

As long as they have contractors willing to wait on every corner for an expedited load they will not try to push this division. After all it costs them nothing to have these trucks sit at the ready.

This is just another chapter in the changing expedited trucking industry.

just my opinion

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A "few others" Dave. You really should get outa the house more. You really need to see all the colors flying out here these days. Interestingly "we" can do it every bit as well, or, better and, a lot more economical. I only have 1 stockholder to satisfy. Me. Don't have any over priced CEO's or department heads etc. So there you may have it. Dunno

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I guess I'm like Leo. Are you guys saying that one side of fed x is bidding cheaper rates against the inhouse expediters at fed x to keep their custormers from going to other carriers.. Sounds like a SWIFT move to me..Sorry if I interpeted it all wrong..

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
free to fail,you with the ordinary truck,if you feel that way, then my suggestion instead of flaming fedexcc,try making it at one of the other expediters,running solo,you will cry about them too

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Col,

I was primarily refering to reefer loads, which I don't believe you do. Maybe that changed? Everything else whether WG or other, you and many others can do. It is just a matter on what kind of scale.
You are correct in that their profit margin is higher on a second source. The start up of a brokerage service didn't happen by accident.
They have always brokered loads, but they are doing it now on a larger scale.
I surprised they don't give their own drivers access to these loads?
When it's busy, it will be raining diamonds, but when it is not, they will protect their botom line and keep their trucks loaded first.
I would do the same thing.
It is a tough situation when you are competing with outside competitors and their own company trucks. CC may be managed seperately, but you can bet your bottom dollar, the revenue isn't.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
>I'm curious how long this post will stay on the board.

97.5 Hours and counting....

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they wouldn't mind having a British accent.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I hate the country, all those animals walking around un-cooked.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
First let me say if you feel i was flaming them you are incorrect i stated facts to support my (and i mean my!) perspective. i feel that this thread is indicative of where Fed Ex is going. All about booking the loads and getting the freight regardless of how the well the owner operators are doing. the owner operators bear the bulk of the cost associated with discounted freight rates. We eat the dicounted freight rates, discounted fuel surcharges, and the no toll loads. Now we are going to be in competition with the very company we work for! Frd Ex has got all the infrastructure and buying power to make LTL pricing very attractive to the consumer over expedite.

Lets face it Fed Ex could care less whether you the owner operator are successful or not... plenty more where you came from, they run two training sessions a week, and expect only 20% retention rate after 1 year. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that they need owners to run cheap freight and are willing to have a high level of driver attrition to accomplish this. after 3 weeks i have already got some pressure on acceptance levels. I told them i could care less what they felt about my acceptance level, i am not hauling cheap freight period. AND YOU SHOULDNT EITHER! better to pass on a load that has you bearing all the costs and all the risks for peanuts.

Now if Fed Ex really wanted to make custom critical viable and benificial for both the customer and the owner operator let them treat us like ground... let us fuel for 1.24 a gallon, let us use their buying power on tires, and let us use the corporate facilities for pm work, showers ect. I would be more then happy to haul freight in the .90- 1.10 range and do some of the cheap locals. Is that even on the table...NO so dont tell me how FED EX has got my best interest at heart, it would cost them nothing to impliment such a program and benifet everyone. Instead lets push the freight LTL.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Atta boy Lawrence, keep it up there.

Hey Free, been in the business a couple months, been with a couple Carriers. Your handle on here might be correct. It seems. Be curious to see how you like your next Carrier, next month. Terrible occupation for someone impatient.

Guess I missed the refer part Dave, just can't imagine tho how some of you are still missing the 5700 or so truck association that is moving lots and lots of freight. And still hang your hat on two or three names.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are right on the Alliance. Maybe a habit, but I tend to look at owners within that organization as single companies rather than a large entity. When I talk with someone at say C & M or Nations, I don't readily think of Alliance.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
I am a believer that with change there is opportunity, where is the opportunity here? Anything positive?

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Who's counting Lawence,it's just that my first post on this subject was gone within the first 2 hours.It seems to have hit a nerve,that's for sure.I consider myself a better then average business person,by no means more then that.Looking at the figures from 06 to 07, same time periods,was enough for me to throw in the towel.I still maintain that husband and wife teams that have the right equipment and kiss the proper behind can do well at CC.I also maintain that the small fleet owners like myself,and a few others,who made the big investment in WG equipment,carried the water for CCWG for several years.And yes,we made a reasonable return.
But I'll be damned if I'm going to put in the time and effort to maintain five trucks and 5 teams and all the headaches for multiple load offers of $1.07 to $1.25 per mile on any given day.
The word at CC in April was the worst was behind us and,as Jack said in his last cheesy road video"the future's so bright I gotta wear shades".He looked the fool,and that was enough for me.The worst was not behind,it was yet to come in the name of Brokerage.I hope Jack has lots of opportunities to wear his shades.He never had my respect,and his exit was nothing more then a sign of the shift and the end of the CC haydays.
Virgina(very bright woman) has been driving the bus the last 10 years.She has always had my respect and my admiration.
I'm sure she will turn Brokerage into a big money maker for FE Corporate,and the crumbs will go to CC.Too bad.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Tallcal,
About your statement;

"I still maintain that husband and wife teams that have the right equipment and kiss the proper behind can do well at CC."

I am wondering how does one kiss the proper behind when the we are told that there are no favorites within the fleet?

Does this mean that promises of runs are made as a regular rate with some and not with others?

Hum... Er... Don't answer that I got my answer.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Once again Phil,with all due respect,the last time I called
>into CC to get a rate for an expedited shipment,the call
>went to Brokerage.I was asked a number of questions
>regarding the nature of the shipment and the time versus
>expense of looking at the various options.
>In the past,I was connected directly to CC and the rate was
>given and the order either placed or not.Since I only call
>for expedited shipments,trying to be talked out of the
>service seems a little odd when I really already know the
>service I want.
>I'm quite certain when you call Panther for a rate and to
>perhaps book a shipment they do not try and talk you out of
>their preimium service.In my humble opinion it is why there
>are so many cut rate expedite loads these days with CC.They
>were not cut rate only 12 months ago.Brokerage is offering
>options,and they are not in the owners best interest,no
>matter how you my choose to look at it.Normal drivers are
>those who DO NOT have a custom rig that costs $200,000.00 to
>put together and never complain.It's EVERYBODY ELSE!! .

Here is the link to the press release that introduces FedEx Truckload Brokerage:

http://customcritical.fedex.com/us/about/pressroom/pressreleases/press04_17_07.shtml

I don't see how this competes with Custom Critical freight in any way. In our straight truck, we have never hauled truckload freight and never will. We do not haul flatbed oversize loads. We do not haul truckload reefer loads. I'll leave it to Custom Critical E and ER unit drivers to talk about how many true truckload loads they haul, but from talking with some of them, my sense is very few. And when they actually fill a trailer with a TL load, it is with EXPEDITED or White Glove freight, not general freight. The Truckload Brokerage description says nothing about expedited or critical-shipment freight. If there is a conflict between Truckload Brokerage and Custom Critical, I'm not seeing it.

Regarding your comment about Panther, I would not be quite so certain that "...when you call Panther for a rate and to
>perhaps book a shipment they do not try and talk you out of
>their preimium service."

Consider the following quote from the front page of Panther's web site:

"At Panther, we are driven to find solutions for our customers' expedited transportation needs. That's why we are proud to offer our One Call Solution - an outsourced, total shipment and logistics management solution - for our valued customers. With absolutely no administration or transaction fees and with continuous improvement to the expedited transportation process, Panther can provide significant cost savings of 10-20% on your shipping costs."

Link to quote:

http://www.pantherii.com/

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Pretty much my thoughts Gregg.
Not quite sure why Panther was brought into this thread? Two totally separate issues. Panther services their expedite division first, and then brokers the overflow or loads they can't cover or want.
In this case, the Fed has heavy financial obligations to move their OWN equipment first. It only makes good business sense.
They have hundreds of company trucks that they will prioritize over anything else. They readily admit that, so it isn't like it is something new. It is more of a necessity when there is a slowing of available freight.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>In this case, the Fed has heavy financial obligations to
>move their OWN equipment first. It only makes good business
>sense.
>They have hundreds of company trucks that they will
>prioritize over anything else. They readily admit that, so
>it isn't like it is something new. It is more of a necessity
>when there is a slowing of available freight.
>
It is true what you say, Dave. FedEx has hundreds (actually thousands) of company trucks. But that has nothing to do with FedEx Freight Brokerage, which uses outsoruced trucks. It is also true that FedEx has had company trucks for as many years as it has had Custom Critical. But when a customer rises with a critical-shipment, exclusive-use need, Custom Critical gets the call.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
True.....I think the point he is making is that the other divisions can move many of the perceived expedite shipments at a cheaper method via their company trucks. I am sure the logic is so they don't lose a potential customer. The problem is they are taking potential CC loads and moving them to other divisions. That was his point and reason for the mailings to customers. Apparently it has some impact if his fleet of trucks was down 50 percent. That cut with a reduction in FSC, and for a fleet, that can be a significant number. That is why he sold his fleet, or how I interpret his post. For what it is worth, not the first story as of late on this topic.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually Phil it has a lot to do with FedEx Freight and possibly express. Seeing that their overhead for freight is covered in house manner (hourly employees and fixed costs) than CC, the use of the brokerage arm of FedEx could shift more work away from CC when you think about the bigger corporate picture.

There seems to be a shift in their strategy that is bothersome to say the least because the idea of ‘exclusive use’ has not been reinforced with this or the other program they instituted last year. The shifting makes me nervous because I can see more problems in all around communications as I mentioned before and a dropping in customer confidence that is being ignored.

Truthfully, there may be a select few that can’t see the forest in spite of the trees on this issue both on the road and at FedEx.