Interesting CR Unit (3 Photos)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Class 7 Vs. Class 8

Grog,
The MBE900 has been produced in brazil for a while and moved stateside (at the plant literally down the street from me). The engine is not a slightly modified version of the 60, far from it but the configurations are closer to the BT series of cummins engines - that is comes in a 4 and 6 cylinder flavor, the largest being a 7.2L version. Where the 60 is only configred is a 6 cylinder 14L engine.

The same goes for the MBE4000, it is a german designed, Brazilian Redford made engine. I know that they fitted the engine with the DDEC system for the NA market.

Also speaking of truck classes, the individual componets of the truck has something to do with the class rating of the truck but the total of the componets do. What I mean is that the GVW is the governing factor in whether a truck is a class 7 or class 8 and it is setup for the states and feds to regulate us. The manufacture can build a truck to be a class 7 with all the class 8 features, for example I know of one KW W900 that has a factory GVW of 32,000 due to the type of axle the guy wanted - and is licensed the same as my truck.

Class 1 (Gvw 0 - 6000)
Class 2 (Gvw 6001 - 10000)
Class 3 (Gvw 10001 - 14000)
Class 4 (Gvw 14001 - 16000)
Class 5 (Gvw 16001 - 19500)
Class 6 (Gvw 19501 - 26000)
Class 7 (Gvw 26001 - 33001)
Class 8 (Gvw 33001 - 150000)

As I am thinking about it, I truly feel that the departure between a class 7 and class 8 truck is not the chassis and driveline but rather the design/fit and finish. My cab, being a steel cab with little in the way of creature conforts was not intended for a ‘live in the truck’ life style like any class 8 truck.

I mean that for example my truck is a city truck and the cab is designed as such. I see FL70s in many configurations from beverage delivery to garbage trucks to street sweepers and the expediter trucks are somewhat a departure of the intended purpose of the chassis (FL’s thoughts by the way, not just mine). With this in mind, I look around at the wear in my cab and remember the trucks I looked at – what a difference between the KW T2000 with 790,000 miles on it or the FL120 that I almost bought and this truck. I have to deal with pealing elastomer epoxy painted dash (yes that is what it is - rubber paint an FL70 ‘feature’), a really horrible sub-standard heating system (that is the most frustrating system to use either you roast or freeze – no comfortable setting at all) and a number of just pain in the a** problems which are all related to being a city truck.

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
RE: Class 7 Vs. Class 8

We just started with a freightliner m2-106 84" bentz sleeper and a 22' dry box. I have to admit that I say a Kw t300 D unit and about fell in love with it. Actually would really love a Pete. Bot the Freightliner seems to be a very nice truck has a larger cab and was more affordable. I have thought that after we get settled in and have a better grasp of the business I would like to take advantage of flexability a reefer provides. (opens up to more runs). My first thought was to buy a class 8 truck reefer. But I am also concidering trading in the old box shortening the wheel base and adding a 16' reefer. Makeing the truck a C unit I could add the reefer and not have to worry about a pusher axle which I am concidering now for added stability on heavy or tall loads. and shortening the truck I could increase manuverability and I would hope that it would still open us up to more loads than a dry van D unit.
Still contimplating will probably be a year away.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I think Gregg is right on the FL series, M2's, and probably the Hino's, which I know very little. Class 7's from KW, Pete, and Sterlings essentially all have class 8 parts. Both our KW's and Sterlings have the same doors, dash, electronics etc, are the same.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I think we can simplify it even more. Truck class distinction is not a function of parts. It is a function of GVWR.

Our truck is a class 8 truck but has the same national seats in it that are seen in some class 7 trucks. Do I then have class 7 seats? What about steering wheels, hood latches, and windshield wiper motors? Can you order class 7 or class 8 types of those? Parts characteristics do not determine truck class. Manufacturer Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings do.

If the same parts are used in heavier-duty and lighter-duty trucks, that might say something about the quality and/or longevity of lighter-duty trucks, but it means nothing in determining if the truck itself is a class 7 or class 8 rig.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

Right. So then it's a pretty silly dilineation for carrier's to make. I mean, you can change the general GVW by adding a tag or pusher axle, right? And motor's,transmission's and the like can be made or special ordered in all shapes and sizes, thereby, any truck can become a million mile truck depending on your tolerence for fit and finish. Thank's greg by the way, i alway's wondered what the deal is with freightliner's dashboard paint! The FL106 has minor variance's, the size and shape of the hood and front bumper, but that's mainly to allow for the heighth of the engine, Otherwise, it is what it is, a basic city truck. Albeit a vast improvement over the 1989 international day cab i used to get started in this buisness :7

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I think the distinction between a class 7 and 8 is durability. If you take an FL-80 chassis and use it to haul 80,000 lbs, how long do you think it would last? Use a t-300 to haul an overweight jet engine? I don't think so.

Using a class 8 truck (one designed to constantly haul its max) to run 20-40k gross is kinda overkill. Thus, the truck holds up better vs the smaller class 7s over time. It's more reliable than its smaller counterpart, therefore it's given more flexibility due to age. Just my opinion.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter

I agree. There can be no question Class 7s are capable of doing an excellent job as evidenced by the number in use. They can also last a long time with proper maintenance, a little TLC and a little more luck. Class 8s are designed to haul much heavier loads than we normally handle and to run pretty much non stop. They don't have to work anywhere near their capacity in our niche and therefore are generally more reliable and cost effective.

I've thought about it alot and my next truck will be a Class 8. Probobly a 3 to 5 year old day cab stretched and outfitted accordingly. I believe I can acquire one, build it and still stay in a budget within a solos income if I mind the pennies.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

Yeah, i had many daydream's of stretching a volvo 770 before i bought my fl106. but weight issue's, (is the nose to heavy), axle placement, will the brake's work properly if i do this or that. And finally, will the bank finance this thing in the three or four different stages that it's gonna take to do this. While i was still contemplating all that the other truck fell in my lap and that was that. But it's nice to dream!