Insurance?

BHXpress

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
We are currently with Progressive and it's ridiculously high! For two drivers and two sprinter vans, we are paying ~$16,000/year. *We only have Sprinter Vans*... Who is the best insurance provider for this type of vehicles???

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We are currently with Progressive and it's ridiculously high! For two drivers and two sprinter vans, we are paying ~$16,000/year. *We only have Sprinter Vans*... Who is the best insurance provider for this type of vehicles???

Are you guys running for multiple carriers? Why don't you just find one good solid carrier who can keep you busy and your insurance should go down to like 2k per year for both of your trucks combined. I've been out on the road for many months now with a larger carrier and my bobtail insurance is merely 120 dollars a month.

I got me one of those fancy Penske trucks. I might put some pictures up in the future. I just got back to California for a much needed three week break. Then it's back out on the road. I've been reading in here from time to time, but just decided to stay out of the drama. I'm making more money and with less stress as a driver than I ever did as a dispatcher. I can turn my phone off when I'm on a three week vacation and I don't even have a care in the world.

I found a non-narcotic pain med that works wonders for me. It's called Gabapentin. It has allowed me to be able to drive again and regain some of my lost mobility. The blood thinners protect me from getting clots while sitting for long periods of time - so all is good. I'm probably safer than most of you because I'm on blood thinners. Business seems to be going well for the bigger carriers. I'm not so sure about the smaller ones though.

I'm so glad I got out of the multi-carrier deal. It was too stressful for me. I'm going to stick with the bigger companies where no one knows my name. I love it. I actually prefer it that way. When I **** off someone in dispatch, they forget about me in fifteen minutes. It's wonderful. I can turn loads down without some company owner whining to me about how he can't pay his light bill in the office because I turned down some stupid short load. I also don't have to worry about being dropped by my carrier because I'm taking three weeks off. I used to pay the liability and cargo insurance just to get dropped from On-Dekk because I supposedly took too much time off. What happened to being a true independent contractor?

Any how, things are good. I'm gonna grill me some steaks, go see a few doctors, and then head back out on the road till Christmas time. I hope the rest of you guys are doing good out there!

The Blizzard!

Last edited by a moderator:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to pay the liability and cargo insurance just to get dropped from On-Dekk because I supposedly took too much time off.

You too, huh? I had a kick butt week with Express Logistics back in January; On Dekk got peeoh'd and let me go. By text message!

Unfortunately for me, I can't get a med card because of my right eye, so I'm not good enough for the big name carriers. I like Express a lot, but it is hard toting the note for Progressive, I have to admit. Especially if I sit a lot, like I have this month.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What kind of fancy Penske truck did you get?

2011-PR-Aug-NCWTS-Kligerman.jpg

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter

Progressive quoted me right around the expo a rate of $14k a year for 1 ford E250.

guido4475

Not a Member
Progressive quoted me right around the expo a rate of $14k a year for 1 ford E250.

This is what I do not understand. Using 75,000 miles as a average mileage for the year, 14k a year comes out to 18.6 CPM. Add gas onto that, at $3.50 a gallon average let's say, at 13.5 mpg average, that would come out to $19,444 a year gas cost, or 25.9 CPM for gas as well. Maintenance and repairs let's say at 5 cpm, and I'm sure there's some I am forgetting right now, but even so, this comes up to 49.5 CPM total. Subtract this from let's say .90 cpm pay, and you profit 48.6 cpm. I don't know....and imagine if there was some kind of van payment involved as well.....ouch.I give credit to those who are doing it this way and trying to make it work out.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
IIRC, KickStarter is young, so that would make a difference.

25 with 1 one of experience but because I have that age of 25 companies don't trust me. How's a a person my age supposed to do anything? Seems like the baby boomers wanna soak up all the profit and not allow folks my age to ever get ahead but that's my own personal thought.

BHXpress

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
Are you guys running for multiple carriers? Why don't you just find one good solid carrier who can keep you busy and your insurance should go down to like 2k per year for both of your trucks combined. I've been out on the road for many months now with a larger carrier and my bobtail insurance is merely 120 dollars a month.

I got me one of those fancy Penske trucks. I might put some pictures up in the future. I just got back to California for a much needed three week break. Then it's back out on the road. I've been reading in here from time to time, but just decided to stay out of the drama. I'm making more money and with less stress as a driver than I ever did as a dispatcher. I can turn my phone off when I'm on a three week vacation and I don't even have a care in the world.

I found a non-narcotic pain med that works wonders for me. It's called Gabapentin. It has allowed me to be able to drive again and regain some of my lost mobility. The blood thinners protect me from getting clots while sitting for long periods of time - so all is good. I'm probably safer than most of you because I'm on blood thinners. Business seems to be going well for the bigger carriers. I'm not so sure about the smaller ones though.

I'm so glad I got out of the multi-carrier deal. It was too stressful for me. I'm going to stick with the bigger companies where no one knows my name. I love it. I actually prefer it that way. When I **** off someone in dispatch, they forget about me in fifteen minutes. It's wonderful. I can turn loads down without some company owner whining to me about how he can't pay his light bill in the office because I turned down some stupid short load. I also don't have to worry about being dropped by my carrier because I'm taking three weeks off. I used to pay the liability and cargo insurance just to get dropped from On-Dekk because I supposedly took too much time off. What happened to being a true independent contractor?

Any how, things are good. I'm gonna grill me some steaks, go see a few doctors, and then head back out on the road till Christmas time. I hope the rest of you guys are doing good out there!

The Blizzard!

My long-term goal is to be off the road. I feel like I cannot achieve that if I lease onto a company. The way I am trying to do it is obviously much more stressful, but I feel that it can also lead to something better.

Anyways, does anybody have any suggestions for the insurance company? We cannot pay close to $16K/year.