Insurance Scam

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We had a situation recently that has taught me a valuable lesson. I believe the insurance scam is called "swoop and squat" and it is so frightening. We were on our way from Laredo, Tx to Panama City. We were still in Texas (I think along Hwy 76 but not sure of the highway at this point). It was early evening and two cars pulled up beside our D Truck. The first one quickly pulled in front of us and slowed down as though he was going to take an exit. My husband was driving and he slowed down to avoid hitting the car. Suddenly the second one jumped over in front of us and came to a dead stop! Frank was able to stop the truck (amazing with a full load!)and avoid hitting the second car. If we had hit that second car, the only witness would have been his Mexican friend in the first car who is part of the scam!

The problem for me was that I was in the back fixing supper and with the sudden stop I was thrown around the sleeper like a rag doll. I ended up in a sort of sitting position partially under the dash in the front. I passed out at some point so I don't know how I got there but I broke the computer stand and the laptop! ER xrays show I don't have any major injuries but it still hurts to take a deep breath or to move certain ways.

The lesson learned is: Hold on or sit down as much as possible when preparing meals in the sleeper while moving. Also now if we have to stop suddenly Frank will yell, "DOWN" and I'll sit down wherever I am.

We are on vacation for a couple of weeks now so I'll have some time to heal but just wanted to warn you all about holding on or sitting down when doing stuff in the sleeper - you never know!! india

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well thats the problem with them them not allowing me to carry my high powered varmit rifle with scope.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I'm very glad you're ok, and this should be a heads up to all drivers. I saw a report on this a while back. In the past, this was usually done to expensive cars who they figured had good insurance. Now, it is becoming more common to pick trucks, because they know trucks are required to have high levels of insurance. Risky game of death.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reminder. I have heard of this before but not involving two cars. Thanks
God bless our Military and Vets.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, India, for alerting us to a possible danger we probably didn't know of. I'm sorry to hear about the damage to you, and the expensive equipment - hope it all gets better soon. I especially like the idea of a signal, from driver to partner, warning of an impending quick stop - it could save someone else from injury.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Glad you're OK, India. These scam idiots must not know that wrestling with trucks can get you dead, not just injured. My wife and I have been using a similar warning alert for years. Instead of yelling out "Down", we yell out "Oh Sh........t!!!!
:+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A similar scam is called a "drive down". As you come down a merge lane, or otherwise signal a lane change, a scammer will slow and wave you over and then speed up and allow you to hit him/her. The scammer will deny ever waving you over and insist you failed to yield as required.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terry...Some owners used to do just what you said in the taxi biz...Since its only a sideswipe all ya get is a paintjob and downtime.

Adding another situation: Alot of city people when turning left often encroach into the oncoming lane and have thier frontend in your lane causing you to move the the right abit...nope you take off the bumper..another sideswipe situation...And the encroacher is at fault..