Instant Runoff Voting

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
During Minnesota's recent caucus, the DFL (Democratic Farm Labor) party pushed for an Instant Runoff Voting referendum to be included on November's ballot. If approved by the voters this would presumably effect municipal, county and state elections.

Are any other states considering instant runoff voting? This system appears to benefit the left and the Democratic party in particular.

If one looks at the political spectrum in this country today, it could be argued that a third party such as The Reform Party or in Minnesota The Independence Party sits in the center of the spectrum. Then obviously just to the right is the Republican Party. What party of any significance on the right lies beyond the Republicans?

Just to the left of center is the Democratic Party. Further left we find the Libertarian Party, The Green Party, The Rainblow Coalition, etc. etc.

With more parties and more candidates falling on this side of the political spectrum it would seem that instant runoff voting would favor the left.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot, please tell me how the Libertarian Party is farther left than the democrart party?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I think the media would contest the Libertarian is left because of their drug stance. However, that's in the bigger picture of no government interference, which is as far right as you can get.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Aviator

Expert Expediter
>I think the media would contest the Libertarian is left
>because of their drug stance. However, that's in the bigger
>picture of no government interference, which is as far right
>as you can get.
>
>-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Concur.

Aviator