Info on requirements of a DOT approved sleeper

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Hey Guys,
Can anyone tell me, or direct to information about the requirements or Spec's for a sleeper that would be approved by the DOT.
I am looking at building one in an Areocel but can't find any Info on the requirements to make it legal. I see some of the Van upfitters call their Van sleepers DOT legal but don't know what makes them that way. Is there some type of approval process required?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dan, I can't answer the question, but the first person I'd ask, is one who advertises their work as "DOT legal", - not that I'd trust the reply, I'd just want to hear it, lol. I'd bet someone on here can find the right answer, though :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Dan, I don't think that vans could be legal under the present rules.

But to find out what the requirements are, just pull out your little green book and go to 393.76 (page 514). you do have a little green book?

The thing to remember is that

1 - for safety, and hazmat loads there needs to be a speration between the sleeper and the box. I worked with a box manufacture and came up with a safety wall but dropped the idea because of hazmat loads I am willing to haul.

2 - like I said Vans in general can't meet the width requirement as the same with extended cabs and pickup trucks.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
DOT legal sleeper in a van is a misnomer as the vans do not fall under DOT regulations unless carrying a placarded hazmat load; therefore, any sized sleeper in a van does not violate any DOT regulations.

BTW 24" by 75" with restraint would otherwise meet the requirements