info for the new maps

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I have made a proposal to panther about added value info to the v/t map page and I want to know what you guys/gals think about it.
1. That you should be able to highlight any terminal and see the following
2. Board position
3. Load count
4. Truck stops
5. And to see the truck numbers of the other trucks on the board. The reason for this last one is how often have you talked to a friend only to find out that one day last week you were a mile apart if you could see the truck numbers you would know it and visit while waiting for a load
Please leave feedback for me on this thanks

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Two years ago on council I requested an IM type add on that would allow drivers to locate specific truck numbers they add to their buddy list. For security/privacy reasons it was felt that showing the location of every unit number to every unit wasn't a good idea. The IT director was very enthusiastic about it and called it a fun and interesting project. His comment was, paraphrased now but very close, "they'll be fighting over who gets to work on this one". I believe the reason it hasn't been touched in two years is because it doesn't directly generate revenue for Panther.

Unfortunately management vision, not just Panther but everywhere, is somewhat myopic when it comes to things like the value of morale etc. to the company. Ideally they would set up a system that allows keeping track of your friends, perhaps showing them as a certain color star on the map just like it does for your own truck and the boards. Additionally, there should be a real time indication of the number of units of each type on every board. Yes, it should be available while under load, the reason being that if someone is on a 2000 mile run they may want to monitor (will, if they're smart) the activity on two different boards they can choose from after POD.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree completely, Leo. Keeping track of other trucks is import when the fleet is self-positioning, but also in keeping moral up.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
One thing I think we should be able to see is how many trucks have been dispatched on actual loads. Say sitting here in Salt lake City, Ut number one on the board with 2 trucks behind me. NOw I check and the 2 trucks behind me are not showing on the board anymore. Did they get loads or just leave on their own? That to me would seem to be useful info for the drivers to know. And what size trucks are there and getting loads.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That information is possible but I don't know what it would take to program it. Landstar has a system that gives detailed online data for any of their locations. It's been so long I don't recall much about it but it was comprehensive and covered all unit sizes for a 30 day period I believe. It was good to see all because if the next size smaller unit moved a lot you might be better off staying put and moving soon at that rate instead of taking a long hike on your own to get to where your size unit is busy. FedEx gives that information via telephone but afaik only for a specific calendar day that you choose so to get a month's total you'd have to listen to 30 recordings. There's no way for them to provide an ideal system because there's no such thing. There is a way for them to make it much more helpful as well as morale boosting. They just have to choose to make it happen.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We've been at home, went back into service this morning. On the Drivers Web, the old maps are still showing. I can see the new boards, but the map is the old one.
Anyone else having this problem?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pelican they have not touched the online maps.

I agree we should be able to see the online boards when under load. It would be a huge help in planning ahead.

I personally think the boards right now make very little sense. I just cannot believe if we empty in Cincinnati that they expect us to move to Lexington and then have a 50% chance of having to run right back to cinci to get a load. I am sure there are plenty of other examples like that but that one has jumped out at me. I don't understand why they just do not show the cities with a load count worth moving to or staying in when your empty. They could keep the boards as is now but just include cities in that board with some load action.

It would not be hard to make info pop up on the maps themselves or in a popup window when you mouse over a city. Basically anything in the database can be shown in the online section. I think it would even be neat to go so far as if a driver opted into it their phone number would show on the truck list on the board position page.

I think sometimes a company limits info becuase they are afraid it will lead to more *****ing by drivers about loads etc. It is true in some cases but in MHO the more info you give to drivers the more it will help the company and it's customers overall. This is a case of the pros out weighing the cons.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Xiggi, I must have misunderstood. I thought that the maps had been updated on the owners web, but not the drivers web.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I honestly do not know about the owners web. Maybe I was out of place using the term online maps sorry. I know the drivers web ones have not been changed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The owners map is showing where the "virtual terminals" are.
Not really sure if that is a final version or not?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The owners map is showing where the "virtual terminals" are.
Not really sure if that is a final version or not?

So does anyone know who's in charge of updating the website with the new information? I would imagine it's simply a matter of not transferring the new web pages to the drivers side. Maybe they don't realize there's a problem?

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
I get the same maps on the owner site and my driver web but this may because I am owner on 1 contract and drive on another?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I sent a message, and the response was "we're working on it" :rolleyes:

How are we to make good decisions without ALL the information?:mad:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If it showed where trucks were sitting it would be cool.
Thanks for the link Turtle, I don't feel quite as in the dark as before, at least I have an image of SOMETHING!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, it does show where the trucks are. Well, at least the trucks in the owner's fleet, anyway. It won't from that link because you're not logged in on the OwnerWeb (that's why you get the time-out request error). I don't know, but I would imagine that when it becomes live on the DriverWeb that at least that particular driver's truck would show up.

When you log in to the OwnerWeb and look at the maps, it will show all of that owner's trucks. What is should show is the location of all of the trucks, same as dispatch can see (well, probably not the truck numbers, tho, that would be an insane invasion of privacy). Knowing where the other trucks are located would be actual information that we can actually use to better position ourselves, and thus, the fleet. We need to know how many and where they are on a board, as well as how many are en route to a given board, either by being on a load or by being sent there in an empty move. The way it is now, everyone will end up being bunched together at the same few locations, or within a rather small radius, where if we knew where the others were, we could avoid bunching up like that, putting more trucks even closer to the freight.

We also need to be able to tell the computer if we are going to move, on our own, to another board, and then send an arrival macro when we get there, which will let the computer know to give one less truck an empty move to that board, and will greatly mitigate the problem of dropping to the bottom of the board as long as other authorized trucks keep rolling in who were sent there because the computer didn't know you were en route. Con-Way NOW had a macro for both the driver-initiated move, as well as the arrival to that board. You simply typed in the city and state (spelling mattered, cause if you spell it wrong the computer won't know where yer goin'), and it worked great. The computer can make better decisions if it has all the information it needs. Just like us.

I don't know if we need to know the location of every truck in the nation, but certainly all of the trucks on the board we are currently on, the board we've been authorized to go to, and the immediate adjacent boards to the authorized board. If I'm in Richmond, VA I could care less how may trucks there are in El Paso or where they are located, but I'd sure like to know where they are in Raleigh, Suffolk and Baltimore, not to mention the other ones in Richmond.

I'd be shocked it they give us this information, however, but it's precisely the kind of information a Fleet Manager at the carrier would require, and since we are self-positioning we'd need the same information. This is but one small part of the major fundamental flaws of the new board system. The most glaring of these is the absolute need to have all of the boards be a 120 mile diameter circle. Most of the boards probably should be that way, but there should be several that are only 100 miles, or 80 miles in diameter. Louisville and Lexington, for example, should each have its own board, and be about a 100 mile radius board. Likewise Cincinnati. And I promise you, we do not need a 120 mile diameter board in Williamsport, PA. We need smaller boards in Harrisburg and Wilkes-Barre, instead. The Williamsport board takes into account the radius mileage only, but completely ignores the extended drives times around that part of the state. Two smaller boards could account for that.

The Detroit board needs to be smaller, and Toledo needs it's own smaller board. Instead of trying to cover the entire state of Michigan with two large boards in Detroit and Lansing, we need about 5 boards in that state with 60-80 mile diameters each, otherwise we're just laying a foundation for unnecessary and time-wasting deadhead all around.