Industrial Hemp .....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have occasionally thought about hauling illegal items such as drugs that a shipper loaded on my van without my knowledge. Industrial hemp, back in the day we called ditch weed or Minnesota Green, I would probably decline hauling. If it contained any trace of THC, depending on the state traveling through would probably be illegal. Oregon to California probably wouldn't be a problem but before hauling I would want some type of confirmation in writing from the shipper that it was in fact legal.

Curious, what was the weight and size? Was it a van, truck or tractor/trailer load?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A few years ago the KY Dept of Ag announced they had a bunch of hemp seeds, and would anyone like to play with them. Murray State University raised their hand, and they are now in the hemp growing business. A few weeks ago a new business (Fibonacci) started up in Murray in to manufacture hempwood, which is laminated hemp for flooring and other building materials. They needed a new kind of glue for it, and the Murray State Dept of Chemistry helped develop the new adhesive. Story on it here.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I just saw an expedited load posted for industrial hemp. First one I've ever seen. OR to CA.
Posting says: "Industrial hemp. Legal for Transport."

Thoughts?
You taking this load ....?
Probably OK with legit BOL but into CALI where everyone goes through agriculture check point it might be a problem, meaning - no, I would pass.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: NorthernBill

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was a van load - 2 pieces 80 lbs.

I passed on the load. At this point, I've driven too many accident/violation free miles.
I will say this, the agricultural inspection stations in Cali are a joke.

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could see a problem if that was your last load in Cali and you picked up say in Calexico and went through the checkpoint with the dog checking your van on the outside and it picks up a scent of hemp. Not good in my opinion.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was a van load - 2 pieces 80 lbs.
Hemp is a bulk commodity so 2 pieces at 80 lbs. sounds more like smokin' dope than makin' rope hemp.
I guess it could be being shipped to a testing lab. I once hauled four 55 gallon drums of coal from Milwaukee to Grand Forks, ND.
Coal is a bulk commodity and it probably originated in North Dakota. I delivered to a testing facility at the University of ND.

I will say this, the agricultural inspection stations in Cali are a joke.
So are the ag inspection stations in Florida.

Reactions: Grizzly