Inappropriate loading,(long term implications)

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Ok NOW I'am being serious.
Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the following points are a given: IF no smaller vehicles are within range for pickup, load any truck.IF customer requests special equip etc. including dock high, load any truck.
Truck owners do and should ask for their rate to run their business.
Carriers should run their business as they see fit.

Ok, now what happens when a truck is loaded with inappropriate freight and the above exceptions noted.

Three things happen for sure; the carrier subsidizes the load, because the customer won,t. The freight is hauled in a energy wasteful manner. The carrier records the load as a straight truck or tractor load.

The first item, subsidized price, forces the carrier to pay for this practice by adding to their tarrif.It also signals the customer that yeah, the carrier is committed to pickup my freight no matter what,good, BUT how much of what I pay is wasted on oversize equipment?
How many times have you heard comments like that at a pickup?

The second item is obvious, larger vehicles use more fuel, higher surcharges passed on to yep, the customer.

The third item is one to ponder.
The carrier views his fleet size and makeup in terms of how many of each size vehicle is needed to cover their freight.
Of course this is the computer age so they know exactly what percentage of trucks are inappropriately loaded over any given time.
These loads are both subsidized and one size down loads that an owner takes for lack of something better.

The question becomes, over time, does this emboldon the carrier's number crunchers to over stock the fleet with large vehicles?

And over time, what does this do to the realized income of the fleet, for both the owner operators and the carrier?

So you see that this discussion can be multi-colored, red, black, AND green.

JUST MY OPINION

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our carrier will use certain loads to reposition trucks to a different area as they are needed. Still we are not in the position to know the inner workings of all the why's.

Kurn

Seasoned Expediter
For small fleets like me,it all comes down to availability.I've put pickup sized loads on my 24' tri axle flatbed.The customer gets serviced,and then they may call you for that "big load".I've also put big loads on smaller trucks,because some places can't accommodate bigger trucks.Again,its just doing what you have to do.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
John, most of'em don't care. And, don't get it, particularly, the last part of your last sentance. IF, THEIR numbers crunch (no matter what that might be) it's ok.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
"The first item, subsidized price, forces the carrier to pay for this practice by adding to their tarrif.It also signals the customer that yeah, the carrier is committed to pickup my freight no matter what,good, BUT how much of what I pay is wasted on oversize equipment?
How many times have you heard comments like that at a pickup?"

I've never heard that comment at a shipper....
I believe the customer requests a vehicle for the size load being shipped. A price is quoted, the customer either accepts or keeps shopping. If a requested vehicle isn't available for the time frame of a pickup then a larger vehicle is summoned. The driver can either
accept the load with the offered rate or the driver can negotiate a price. Not always successfully. This is my short version........

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only "green" a customer is concerned with is the color of the money he is losing because a production line is down. If Al Gore had his way there would be no expedite industry. Shipping via an expedite carrier is the most inefficient mode of transportation. But it also happens to be the quickest. Time is money and money is green.
The sky is blue and carbon is black. Hockey pucks are also black, imagine that!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
>How many times have you heard comments like that at a
>pickup?
>
===========================================

I've never heard that. And BTW, the only wasted efficiency is if your vehicle is not efficient. If my truck hauls one 40x40x42H skid and I'm still getting my truck rate, then that is a VERY efficient load. Especially since it means shorter loading and unloading times. If my truck is only getting 4 mpg because I haven't serviced it, then that is a wasteful truck.

KG, I could be completely wrong, but normally when I hear these sort of "conspiracy theories" from drivers, it is something that got puked upon them by sitting at lunch with a few other disgruntled drivers. Freight is slow so we start trying to figure out who is running OUR freight. There will always be some guy in your face with the supposed "inside scoop" on what is REALLY happening at your carrier. The truth is, that your dispatch has no time to discriminate against vans. They are trying to cover loads. I'm sure every dispatcher has to answer for how many loads they placed on a bigger truck, thereby costing the company more money. A couple of stories get out about a D unit picking up one short skid and everyone is jealous. It happens because the customer needs the freight moved. It may seem wasteful to the carrier, but it's definitely not wasteful to the shipper or the truck.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's not inappropriate loading. It's load the freight or not at all. Much of expedited freight is emergency freight. An emergency exists in many cases because someone screwed up. Because of that unplanned and unexpected event, expediters are called in to resolve the crisis.

We once had a load of four skids of CD's that had to be delivered to a retail distribution center ASAP, straight through, right now, yesterday and fast! Not getting them through meant they would not reach store shelves in time for Christmas sales. Why the CD's had not been produced and/or shipped earlier by more "appropriate" means was not for us to know. Our mission was to move the freight fast.

The freight easily could have been shipped via FedEx Freight at lower cost and in a trailer that was filled with other stuff going the same direction. But not this time. Someone screwed up and the CD's had to move now. Was the one day difference in shipping methods and large difference in expense worth it? The shipper clearly believed it was.

When we arrived, they loaded the truck with three skids, not four. We questioned the piece count. The shipper said three was the right number. Dispatch called the shipper and questioned the piece count. In response, shipping clearks made calls and again confirmed that three was the right numer. Off to Chicago we went, from Birmimham, Alabama.

A couple hours after our delivery, while we sat nearby waiting for our next load, another D-unit pulled in to deliver the fourth skid. Once again, someone screwed up and an expediter was called to save the day.

When hours and minutes matter; carriers, shippers and consignees do not have the luxury of contemplating the the finer points kg raises.

Also, how many expedited loads are responsible for keeping thousands of employees in production on what would otherwise be an energy-consuming, wage-consuming plant that puts out nothing?

I know of one load we carried of chemicals used in a water treatment plant, without which the plant could not function and without which the people served would have the water shut off. We were called in because bad weather distrupted the normal supply. How many people in that town do you think would agree to have the water shut off becaue it would have been more green to wait several hours for an "appropirate-size" truck to be brought in to haul the load?

Had the water been shut off, how much fuel would have been burned in that town by people making special trips in their cars to get water? How many paper plates would have been used because regular plates could not be washed?

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Our D unit once carried 3 banker boxes 63 lb,from NH to SC, got to the dock and hand carried in, a van was there unloading 4 skids-just the way the bus goes(only got one skid on now, haz mat) solution to this concern is get a straight truck, also get haz mat qualified and go to canada you 'll stay loaded and you'll quit sitting around. This has been the busiest month in a long time( been with smaller carriers for 6 months now back with the kitty's), hope things pickup for all of you.:) :)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
KG please excuse my candor...
Send flowers to your dispatcher and go to company picnics, sing kumbaya with the flower children and pray for rain but don't get upset if I take your load and trust me if offered I "will" take your load.
I am not your personal pep rally and if it comes down to choosing between paying the bills or "making sure you are able to" you will lose.
Here is some good advice by a bigger truck if you think I am hosing you and big Al.
I (WE) are not your enemy...