Impromptu EO Forum Members Gatherings

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We tried a new idea at the Expo this year with different announcements during the day to have an immediate meeting of EO Forum Members at the EO Booth. We had a lot of fun with this idea and I hope Lawrence will post a few pictures. At our last gathering we even had Jeff Jenson in attendance along with many forum posters.

We had fun with the little gatherings and this also gave us a chance to meet a few more posters! There is not doubt in my mind we will continue this tradition at the next years Expo!

Once again I will say this has to have been the best Expo so far!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I didn't realize that this was the first year that this was done. It was a great idea and made it easier for the members of the forum to connect.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I must have missed those announcements...always in the wrong place at the wrong time

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never heard one of them. I came out of one seminar and just happened to walk over by the booth to see what they were doing and found a bunch of folks there.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
I never heard nothing neither.Was sorry I got in after A teams presentation.Saw his truck on display and team caffee truck but never got to meet neither one.Did meet gotta go tho. Came away good freinds with Joey Holidays brother. Was parked next to Jacks blue van in the front row never saw him neither.I must have missed everyone. Enjoyed Expo ,Took pictures. got good information. Enjoyed the concert friday evening and the hotel was nice. Over all had a great Time .Nice Job to those who work so hard making it posible.A big thank you to all.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I missed those announcements as well. The sound system was not all that good AND my hearing aid were not working all that well.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I heard no such announcements. Checking with Diane, neither did she. I think I heard all others. The speakers were loud and I remember having difficulty listening to whoever I was talking to at the time because I was unable to tune out the announcements.

That's not a complaint about the volume. It was nice to be reminded about what was going on. If any forum member gathering announcements were made, Diane and I must each have been off the floor at the time.

I think the best way for members to find each other at the show is to have them marked, perhaps with a brightly colored button that other members will automatically have an eye open for. Impromptu meetings would then happen, one-on-one, all day long, instead as organized events that some may feel compelled or interrupted to attend, and others may feel hurt because they missed them.

We could have a member scavanger hunt with a prize awarded (perhaps a pair of OVM pants) to the member who got the most member signatures on the scavanger hunt sheet.

Meeting forum members at the show is great, but there is much more to do at the show, especially for first-time attendees. The workshop where many forum members appeared was a one-time event and effective. What happened there was interesting enough to take people off the floor.

Marking forum members with pins, buttons, name tag designators, hats, and even pants has been suggested by many. Additional scheduled or announced events seems like overkill to me. We might think about a fourm member hospitality suite but the after-show cookout already serves that purpose.

The cookout happens at the perfect time. It would be hard to compete with the free drinks and fantastic pasta bar that was offered by a sponsor (Progressive CIS -- and thank you very much!) on Thursday night and the steak dinners (or whatever else people ordered off the menu) provided for contractors by FedEx Custom Critical on Friday night (again, thank you very much!), and the Saturday night outdoor concert.

Note that many forum members met each other for the first time at these events. The easier it is for members to identify each other, the more likely it is that they will meet.

Adding a rented tent to the expediter truck parking area would further support the after-show expediter gathering. Identifying members with special designators, having a scheduled member workshop, and having an announced post-show cookout provides abundant oppotunities for forum members to meet and greet. Additional organized activitities seem like overkill.

Also note that the sponsors want people on the floor and at their booths, not at other places. And not all open forum members will want to be identified for face-to-face meetings. Marking open forum members as such should be voluntary so the lurkers and introverts can attend the show without feeling pressure to mix and mingle when that is not what they are there to do.

EDIT:

Diane just suggested putting a member bulletin board up in the EO booth so members can learn of member events, especially the member-only drawings they can enter.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps adding one of the lined flip chart pads (lined to keep things somewhat uniform in size and lined up) in the EO booth or by the registration desk and forum members signing in when they arrive. When a page fills up a couple of dots of Plasiti-Tak would secure that page to a nearby wall. We could sign in with something like:

LDB, khaki pants, blue check shirt, tan FedEx cap

I also like the idea of different color name badges that was proposed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thinking about this a little more, there is a danger in pushing the forum member thing too far. We want all attendees to feel welcome. We want to honor equally all reasons for attending the show.

Making too big of a deal of the forum member thing runs the risk of making non-forum members feel unwelcome or less welcome than forum members. We don't want members to come off as trying to be the "in" group or an upity members only clique of people who consider themselves more cool or more in than other attendees.

The expo is an industry trade show at which all sorts of people gather for all sorts of reasons. I'm all for creating opportunities for members to gather but worry that too much PR about it may offend many others.

And let's be realistic about this too. The person I meet at the show who might sell me a truck or generator or give me some decision-quality information about the industry will be far more important in my life than any 100 open forum members who are fun to meet and greet. I hear from forum members every day right here. Exhibitors and presenters I may only see once a year at the expo.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I think Phil brings up an excellent point. Badges for forum members that are a different color and include screen names would identify us to each other. It might also prompt people to ask "why the different color?" thus making it a way to invite others to join us here.
We don't want to alienate people or make them think that they are not welcome.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like the idea of the different color name tag or even just placing our screen name on the badge instead of the company, like a few people did.
Or we could all wear flowery shorts like OVM did :rolleyes::cool:
Sounds like I was one of the few who actually heard the announcements

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard some of the announcements but most of the time I thought the PA was a bit boomy and could only make out some of what was being said. It's tough to fill a big place like that with sound I guess.

I thought about the idea of the different color name badges a bit. I like it, make it voluntary so if you don't want to be recognized you don't have to. When I read now on here some of the people who were there that I missed out on meeting, the idea makes a lot of sense. If it gets to be overload and you just want to talk to vendors only, put the badge away. After meeting a lot of you face to face, I like this bunch and want to meet more.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since every coin has two sides I'll flip it over and suggest that perhaps rather than making people feel less welcome it might make them feel better about considering this career. Maybe it will make them think this is a group that tends to band together more than some and will be there when we need them. Maybe they'll think this is a friendlier and more inviting group. Maybe rather than thinking up negatives that may or may not happen we should think of the positives that could happen.

cruzer

Not a Member
Looks like EO missed an opportunity to sell some EO Teeshirts or flowered shorts.;) LOOKIN GOOD OVM!!!!:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can do the tee shirts or the different colored badges. I CANNOT do OVM style shorts. My legs are TOO cute and no one would pay attention to anything else!!! :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Next year if you hear the announcement you will know what is going on. I think when non forum members saw us standing around chatting I hope we looked like a nice friendly group they could like to be a member of.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Since every coin has two sides I'll flip it over and suggest that perhaps rather than making people feel less welcome it might make them feel better about considering this career. Maybe it will make them think this is a group that tends to band together more than some and will be there when we need them. Maybe they'll think this is a friendlier and more inviting group. Maybe rather than thinking up negatives that may or may not happen we should think of the positives that could happen.

Being my 1st time at the expo .There were other members there that could have gave there insights on this industry.I also agree should people see a group that seems tight knit .This becomes an interest to them. There are people on this site I was hoping to meet and talk with ,to listen to there expertise. (Phil being one of them ) Yet never had the chance as I couldnt stare at everyones name tag .I think a simple solution would be .The strap that you put on your neck to hold the name badge could be a different color there by everyone would know who was an EO member.If your not interested in being known then you get the blue one.By the way Kevin Mcnutt from Federal Express C/C didnt invite me for steak friday night at Max and Ermas .LOl

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
1. We will have colored badges for EO Members in 2010.

2. We will have a nice EO Forum Members Hospitality Tent in parking lot for tailgating and cook-outs.

3. I like Leo's idea of white board where members can sign in so we can all see who is on site.

4. I think it's okay to have the EO crowd visible - loud and proud baby!

Thanks for the GREAT ideas. Please keep them coming!!!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
1. We will have colored badges for EO Members in 2010.

2. We will have a nice EO Forum Members Hospitality Tent in parking lot for tailgating and cook-outs.

3. I like Leo's idea of white board where members can sign in so we can all see who is on site.

Thanks for the GREAT ideas. Please keep them coming!!!

No flowered shorts? Are you afraid of scaring away non members?:rolleyes::D:p