I'm going to be sitting how long?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's always a question about how much sitting/layover vs driving. Many people come into expediting from OTR where they maxed out their driving time most of the time. With loads being booked days or maybe even weeks in advance, it was pretty easy to keep an OTR truck rolling constantly.

Expediting is partially preplanned and primarily unplanned. A solo operator who maxes out his drive time would still have to sit 55% of the time. Part of that could be on duty not driving but most would just be sitting. Factoring in the uncertainty of loads, a solo operator operating under logs should figure on sitting about 3/4 of the time.

Sometimes you'll run more and sometimes you'll sit for way too long. That's the nature of the beast. On an annual basis, if you average 1500 paid weekly, you've done well. Sometimes you'll exceed that and once in a great while you might nearly double it and sometimes you'll wish you made half. The only thing certain in this business is uncertainty of jobs, miles, locations etc.. If you can't tolerate that you need to think long and hard about entering this career.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Excellent information!

As I have said many times before:

"When you get into expediting, you better have a hobby that fits in the truck, because boredom will manifest into frustration, and frustration will make you rethink your career path."

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Great post! We've found what you've said to be exactly true. You have to be patient, because everything is so uncertain. You have to plan to not be as busy, be thankful and run hard when it is...and always save your money. We love it, and wouldn't ever do anything else again! Good luck to everyone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Also note that time spent sitting can be some of your most enjoyable time on the road. While expediters must often wait for freight, they are not obligated to spend that time looking out their truck window while doing so.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I guess I have to put my 2 cents in this.I run my truck a little different than others.If I'm given an express center that is crowded with trucks,and the cost of fuel is cheaper to go home than the time I will sit waiting,as we wait in motels,not in the truck,then you might find me dead heading home.My layover option is only about 60%,as I go where I feel I will get loaded,I dont trust the DVA that well.Your not going to find me, one of the layover gang in a crowded express center.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Certainly location plays a part in how long one sits. The main point I wanted anyone researching to get is that what we do is nothing like OTR. The only similarity is you do both in a truck. Unless operators can divest themselves of the OTR mindset they are destined to either be miserable or quit.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
Excellent information!

As I have said many times before:

"When you get into expediting, you better have a hobby that fits in the truck, because boredom will manifest into frustration, and frustration will make you rethink your career path."

My hobby Ebay. Unfortunately I spend more than I profit from sales. :mad:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
While I was not an OTR driver prior to expediting, at my previous carrier we almost always returned to our "home area" after very load. This meant that I had sat very little - I generally only stopped long enough to catch some sleep if I needed it - and then rolled on home.

When I started with my current carrier (back at the beginning of December) where this was not the case I found it to be a bit of an adjustment to make - I'd drop my load and then "want to go .... somewhere."

It was difficult initially to just sit - but by the third week of being out on the road I had grown more accustomed to it. I guess my advice would be that patience is an acquired taste - it's actually a skill that has to be practiced and learned, to become good at it.

If you start expediting and have to sit and feel like you are going to climb the walls ..... just give it a few weeks - it will become less trying and you will get better at it.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
I definately support Leo's explanation. I was an OTR Freight O/O and work directly now with many people coming from Freight to Expedite and it is a huge adjustment at first but most grow to love it once it gets in their blood.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being the first 5 years with a Canadian carrier we did a lot of drop and run back to the border...when we came to the U.S. side and a new carrier I was amazed at the difference. Had to learn all over again. My phrase is "drop and stop" It was a hard concept at first...from "drop and run" Now we sit longer...really need a hobby. And to boot a man and wife stuck in the same tuna can for 24/7 can test any marriage.:)

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Hobby!? Who needs one of those when we all have EO?! j/k all jokes aside I found photography as an interesting hobby. It gets me out of the van and walking around. finding things to do.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I find these Post's both enlightening & entertaining. My problem when I went to work for "Panther" knowing nothing of the business was that they NEVER at Orientation or the Recruiter ever said be prepared to sit half the time your out. The other was if you moved more then ( think it was 7/10 of a mile) from where you were sitting you would lose your board position, which meant you couldn't do a little sight seeing or shopping other then the place where you are parked.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are a lot of things that aren't mentioned, often not for nefarious reasons but just because except to newbies they are old hat and forgotten. EO is excellent for bringing all those out, provided the users will read back far enough to find them all.

Panther has addressed the short move situation and now you can move and not lose your position. If you are on paperless logs I believe it is up to 30 minutes driving without starting your clock or losing position. With paper logs I figure less than 10 miles is safe, at least so far.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
What is "Old hat" to experienced drivers is exactly why Companies should tell uninformed "Newbies" what to expect. It seems to me if a Company cares if it's O/O are successful it would be beneficial to the Company. Instead of sending them out to succeed or fail by trial and error.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't disagree. The problem is that companies already hold 3 day orientations and don't manage to cover everything. People are fed up befoer the end of the second day and want to get out and go. It's a challenge to balance providing enough information against geting people out before they go crazy.

This is one reason it's so important for folks to read back a year in these forums. There's just too much information to try to get during an orientation and recruiters aren't supposed to convey everything, just get you to decide their company is the one to sign on with.

Pruittplum

Seasoned Expediter
yep, been driving expedite for a year and a half now. Actually sit for 8 days out in Barstow, California last month. Sit for 4 days in Indianappolis, Indiana just week before last. Don't know what's up with freight right now, sure is slow.