Illegal search, or stop by PD

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So instead of getting it done and over with you would denied the search and turn a few minutes into an hours long ordeal. I gotta say i just don't get it.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums
A few years ago i was pulled for speeding and the trooper asked if i had anything illegal in the truck I said no he then said well you dont mind if i search it then right I said yes I do mind if you feel you need to seach it then get a warrant he then tried his scare tactics but I wouldnt give in he finally left me alone. I will always turn down their requet to search my vehicle.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking of high CSS scores my score is zero the company I get my jobs from is now 93
I just got a call from them asking more to stop at all scales and volentarily ask for an inspection I using their numbers to help lower their score.......... Yea right like I would just pull in and say inspect me but hey use this number I,d be a sitting duck for them to pounce on me and just keep looking till they found a rust spot or something to write up !

Thats like drinking gasoline and urinating on a structure fire.

Bob Wolf.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My point is just that telling them no does not stop the search it simply makes the whole process take longer. Good chance it also irritate the cops leading to a more thorough and disrupting one.

Your job is not to make things easier for the police. Unless it's in plain sight, or unless they have a warrant, what's in your vehicle is none of their damm business... regardless of their title. If you want to make sure the officer knows your an Omega, that's your problem.

"I don't consent to searches."

That wasn't so hard, was it?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your job is not to make things easier for the police. Unless it's in plain sight, or unless they have a warrant, what's in your vehicle is none of their damm business... regardless of their title. If you want to make sure the officer knows your an Omega, that's your problem.

"I don't consent to searches."

That wasn't so hard, was it?

You completely missed my point. It had nothing to with making things easy for them and all about making it easy for me. I have nothing to hide and could care less if they want to look around. I do not feel threatened by such things. Not going to go out of my way to turn the simple and mundane into a big production.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
No its you who missed the point. Sure it made it easy for you, but thats what these jack booted thugs count on. It was not easy for our founding fathers when they stood up and fought England to give us these rights against illegal search. Now its to to us to keep these rights, and no it won't always be easy, but its the right thing to do. DON'T THREAD ON ME!!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No its you who missed the point. Sure it made it easy for you, but thats what these jack booted thugs count on. It was not easy for our founding fathers when they stood up and fought England to give us these rights against illegal search. Now its to to us to keep these rights, and no it won't always be easy, but its the right thing to do. DON'T THREAD ON ME!!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Well that is the main difference some consider them jack booted thugs some don't. Works for me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You completely missed my point. It had nothing to with making things easy for them and all about making it easy for me. I have nothing to hide and could care less if they want to look around. I do not feel threatened by such things. Not going to go out of my way to turn the simple and mundane into a big production.
The thing is, you really should feel threatened by such things, because these searches are far from the simple and mundane. Unless they have real, actual reasonable suspicion or probable cause that they can articulate, then it's a fishing expedition. I'm not so sure I'd be so trusting of an angler who is satisfied with coming back empty handed. Customs and Border Protection, that's one thing, but a local or state cop, that's something else altogether.

On the flip side, those who refer to these searches as illegal searches fail to miss the point that they are illegal only if you don't consent to it. If you do consent, then is not illegal.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What it boils down to is you either retain the RIGHTS that are your's as a FREE citizen of the United States or you give control to the government. As long as people are willing to roll over and 'do as they are told" the abuses will continue.

Freedom is not free. It needs to be defending, sometimes by words and sometimes by action. The greatest threat to freedom is the unwillingness of people to stand up and insure their own rights.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Simple question... what if they tear your vehicle apart, looking for something that doesn't exist?

Another one... what if they find something that wasn't yours? ie planted it.

It's called covering your ***. You have no control over ANYTHING, except what comes out of your mouth.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It has worked for me for a very long time. Guess i will just take my chances and continue doing what i have aalways done. One can live with suspicions and fears but that just isn't how i choose to live life.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
It has worked for me for a very long time. Guess i will just take my chances and continue doing what i have aalways done. One can live with suspicions and fears but that just isn't how i choose to live life.

In the future,when you get pulled over, the cop or TSA agent will tell you to drop um and bend over andcough...and you will comply...you will think its normal..

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the future,when you get pulled over, the cop or TSA agent will tell you to drop um and bend over andcough...and you will comply...you will think its normal..

That doesn't even make sense.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You're right, it doesn't make sense. Once upon a time, we the people had rights, if you can imagine that. Over a period of time we gave up those rights for imagined security. Today, you can't get on a plane without being subject to search techniques that would have touched off a riot just a couple of decades ago. Now everyone who wants to fly is subject to intrusive search methods, and you're a criminal until proven innocent.

Now, we're slowly surrendering our rights on the road, and in the not too far distant future in our homes. You're guilty of transporting illegal drugs, or illegal immigrants, or terrorist weapons or God knows what--- until the local neighborhood gestapo agent searches your vehicle and proves that you're not--- you hope.

In the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave", it doesn't make a lick of sense---- but, there it is.

I'd better stop now before the spirit of Monger totally overwhelms me.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
My son has been terrorized by the local law in our small town in his teen years and i learned a good phrase from him which is neither saying yes or no to a search and that is, "that will not be necessary". Once they ask to search 3 or 4 times and giving the above response 3 or 4 times is neither offensive or consenting and tends to satisfy the officer.

I heard a driver talking on the CB yesterday, so i know it must be true LOL, but he sounded sincere. He was asked to bring his papers in at the scale, left his truck unlocked and while walking to the office a DOT man walked over to his truck and begin to enter and do a search. Driver said he immediately went back asked him what was going on and the officer said as long as the door is open (read unlocked) he can search a CMV without consent. Driver told him OK, but you may only search the front cab, not the sleeper. DOT told him if the curtain is open, I can search the complete truck and take anything he wants that is not supposed to be there. Driver recommended always locking your truck and pulling curtains shut when exiting truck. Sleeper is living quarters, not commercial, when curtains are pulled, or so driver says.

The only time I have been searched was in my '74 Camaro, 16 yrs old, wet behind the ears, in 1974, two separate occasions, asked to open my trunk. 1st time, Sherman, TX on our way to Texoma, I had a case of Coors in the trunk after telling the officer I did not have any more alcohol, but luckily it was still in place tucked under the quarter panel and covered with the newspaper I always used to line my trunk with. Officer asked me what was in the brown bag and I gladly showed him it was clothes and a toothbrush for the weekend. 2nd time, Dallas, TX, officer said there had been burglaries in the area recently and wanted to check my trunk. Nothing in the trunk, but I had a few full bottles rolling around on the floor board behind the driver's seat he never saw, WHEW! This was back in the day when a search of the passenger compartment was fairly rare, remember those days? Both times I was stopped for speeding, ticketed in Sherman, Dallas officer gave a warning justifying it must be hard to keep the Camaro under 60 in a 30 hehe.

I find it always goes a long way with LEO's to give them your utmost respect. Usually works for me, until it doesn't......

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The only time I have been searched was in my '74 Camaro, 16 yrs old . . .

When I was 16, got pulled over right in front of my High School in my 66 cuda. Another officer showed up and they both inspected the car right there in front of all the students. It was great! Next day I was the coolest guy in the school!! :cool:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yes, that was definitely a BS search. They wanted to search you for whatever reason, most likely because if they had found something, they could seize your truck. The wrinkle is, if this was a false stop & search, the cop committed a serious offense by pointing his gun at you. But, he'll go on his merry way and do it again to someone else down the road. This will continue until we wise up and disarm the police.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well I know how you feel but where you made your mistake was opening your door and letting him stick his nose into your business. The only way he would search me is with a dog and no other way. I don't trust cops. 95% are crooked, makes the other 5% look bad. Be nice. Sir the only way you can search my vehicle is with a Warrant or a Dog, you choose. I trust a dog, I don't trust a cop.

Dogs are very manipulable. This issue has been raised in recent court cases. The dog wants to please the handler, the handler is happy when the dog finds something...you tell me how that develops next. Don't trust the dog.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter

It might sink in when they pull out the rubber gloves...go ahead officer, im not hiding anything....just hurry,so i can continue on with my Freedom

Last edited: