Ike is lookin ugly...

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Listening to Fox on the XM late Friday nite and it doesn't sound good. Good luck to all who live and work down there. Hearts and prayers out to all of you.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo (LDB) lives between Galveston and Houston. Waiting on a private PM from him to see if everything is ok. Keeping my fingers crossed for him and his family.

Any one else living in this area?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo (LDB) lives between Galveston and Houston. Waiting on a private PM from him to see if everything is ok. Keeping my fingers crossed for him and his family.

Just Rec PM From Leo. Every thing is OK.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are fine. The house isn't but that just bricks, sticks and stuff. I'm going home, hopefully with at least one run along the way to add a little extra cushion. No injuries anywhere though so the rest is insignificant in comparison.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hey Leo is all ok at your house?

We posted at the same time. Sorry to hear that you've had damage but glad there's no injuries. Be safe in your travels home.

Last edited:

are12

Expert Expediter
Leo,

Sorry to hear about your house but I am certainly glad everyone is fine.

My best friend has a home in your town and I am still waiting to hear from her - about her house.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am reading how many have to be rescued because they exercised thier right to stay...they should be charged at least $500.00 per person for rescue "fee" Being a taxpayer I shouldn't have to pay for someones elses choices. Grrrrrr

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Luckily we weren't home when it hit. I haven't heard from anyone in my family except one of my sisters. She basically let us know that everyone has damage to their homes. They live in North Houston where they have the bigger trees, so there's lots of tree damage. My Aunt and cousin had trees actually smash through their houses, so they are staying with my parents for now. Power is out, but that's no surprise. Looks like it was kind of bad. At least my family has been through enough of this kind of stuff to prepare. They boarded up and bought lots of water and canned goods. And everyone is unhurt...the main thing. When my parents bought their land, they cut all the "unsafe" trees down, so none were in danger of falling through their house, but they told my sister all the oak trees on their property are down. Crazy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I totally agree with OVM, especially after reading that 40% of Galveston's residents ignored a mandatory evacuation order. Given the example of Katrina, how they could justify staying put, forcing the use of resources & personnel to rescue them, is just mind boggling.
If taxpayers have to pay for that, there really should be a whole lot of protesting going on.
BTW: Missouri is soaked, and Iowa is pretty darn windy today. (And chilly!)

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Windy cold in Iowa and soon old Jack Will be back and lay down some high lites.

I hope Leos house be ok take care

:)

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It looks like what is left of Ike is now in Ohio. I'm home in Cincinnati right now and the power has been out for a while and it's extremely windy. At least the power going out spared me from seeing the second half of the Bengals game. Ugly.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I've been sittin here at the J in Lansing, MI it has not stopped raining since Friday afternoon. Nonstop rain....It's raining as I type and will probably be raining tonight when I get to sleep.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No drought there then eh? My dad said there were flood watches up for parts of Monroe county. My house is not in a flood plain but I do get lots of water in the yard from time to time. Drains slow down there. Layoutshooter

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
No, I'm not headed home. We're at my husband's parents house in Michigan right now taking some time off. No need to go there....my sister is telling me the grocery stores are dealing with food shortages and people panicking and no power...etc. Don't want to be down there right now. Mainly just wanted to make sure everyone was okay.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quote......SWAT commander Sgt. Rodney Harrison and five other members of the Port Arthur Police Department drove a 2 1/2-ton truck into the waters to search for victims in Sabine Pass near the Louisiana border Sunday morning.
The waters were so intense and the roads so blocked that a gear shift broke off in the driver's hand. After two hours of struggle, the team had little to show for their work other than sopping wet clothes and exhaust-streaked faces. They even dodged an alligator.
"You have people that have families at home who put their lives on the line to come out here and save somebody that made a bad decision," Harrison said. "I don't think that's right. I don't think that's fair to everybody."

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, $500 sounds real cheap for a rescue of that nature. The cost should cover expenses and make a sizable profit for the Coast Guard. When they're pulled into the chopper they should be told what incredible idiots they are and handed an invoice.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It weird the same people who say the government is overreacting and stay BUT they are the first to call for help from them when it gets rough....and then critize the effort...doh...

yeah it's cheap, I didn't want to ruin people just get the message out....manditory evac with some teeth in it....