If GM fails, what then?

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Interesting that you think that all of the money for a "jap" car leaves the country. Are forgetting the salaries paid to the workers at the plants. They spend their money to buy other products don’t they? What about the vendors to the "jap" plants engine blocks from Alabama wire harnesses from plants in IN head liners from IN the list goes on and on. Those companies also pay salary’s to their workers all of those places are American jobs. So keep thinking that all of the money from the “jap” cars goes else ware if you like but I prefer to live in the real world. By the way more of a “jap” car is made in the USA than the big3 or haven’t you heard of Canada or Mexico for that matter. As far as what does waiting at the dock have to do with making crappy cars it’s symptomatic of the work ethic at the big3 caused by the unions. Heck I can do want I want to do I have the union to back me up. If the dock worker feels that way you can bet that many in the plant feel the same way. And if there is that much inefficiency at the dock then it is in other places in the plant. And this has been going on for years management has given up control of their workforce to the unions. When things were going good they gave the union everything they wanted now that times are lean the union isn’t willing to give back to keep their jobs. Let them file chapter 11 so a judge can void the union contracts and cut wages for all including the top management. It costs the big3 around $70.00 per hour for labor where it costs the “jap” car companies about $30.00 an hour for labor. You do the math

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
When the Airline industry was in financial trouble years back I don't remember the Government bailing them out. Yes some went under and were bought up by more solvent carriers. Some filed bankruptcy and reorganized. Jobs were lost and jobs were gained in the process. Many support companies were effected for a short period of time until the industry got back on its feet. We obviously still have an airline industry today that employs 100,000s of people with benefits and the support business have work.

The government did not bail them ( the airline industry) out with our hard earned tax dollar. So do they really need to bail out the auto industry, or just let nature take its course and let the auto industry rebuild itself. That's what Chapter 11 Bankruptcy is for!

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is something you should read 1st.

Thank you for that piece, Bruno. It seemed to me that the Big 3 CEO's that came off corporate jets with tin cups in their hands were playing fast and loose with the numbers.

It is remarkable that for all the money they were asking for, they could not produce a plan on how they would spend it.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Re: Big3 vs "Jap" cars

Back in the late 70's when I was in seminary, I worked part time at the Ford Truck Plant in Louisville KY, and was a member of the UAW (required of course). I still have my membership card!

While I was working there I upgraded my 76 Honda Accord to a 78 Accord because I wanted one with air conditioning which the earlier one hadn't had. Of course, I got razzed at the plant about showing up driving a Honda...

When asked why I bought a "Jap" car, my answer was "Because I've watched you guys work."

I've also had the privilege of owning domestic cars from the exact same years as my Honda's, and I have to say that the quality of engineering and workmanship in the Honda's far exceeded comparable standards from the Big3 of the same period.

I know that many improvements have been made in engineering and quality since the 70's, but the UAW is still there, and I find it hard to believe that the entrenched attitudes I was surrounded by in the 70's have changed that much. I've been present when the workers were unhappy about something and seen them virtually trashing the vehicles as they went down the line; on one of my first days there at least one of every three trucks reaching the end of the line wouldn't start for one reason or another, and parts were just falling off because they hadn't been attached properly or at all.

I'd love to buy American whenever possible, but after spending time in a Ford plant with the UAW, I'm just not comfortable with the idea. Especially if there is a price premium to buy American because of the higher labor rates.

Doug

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Its already failed... Let it die and be reborn... We went too san antonio toyota.. the place was popin... $47 pay plus bennifit The big three..$75 cost plus beniiefits per employee The unions are holdind there kids future employment hostage. Greed from the top too the bottom of these companies... Im no guenius. look at my spelling.. Capitolism is a boat that turns slowly but it will right itself over time...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Joebob, what are you up to these days and where are your stinkin' feet?

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Wat up Moot and all the rest .. I ve be come some what of a home body (stay n local ). My daughter was stretching her legs a little far as a teen ager and felt a need tocome home and get the kid back on track ... I left the road in feb of 2007 Sold the old battle ship..Took some 2 months off and did some fish n in Fl.. I got my class A and realized noone paid anything for bump n docks locally ..So I joind a food service compoany that inside delivers. And have been sore every day since.. Moneys good benefits are good But my God Im to old for this!!!
I feel like I Play 4 quarters of football as a lineman twice a week.
Im gonna put two years in for tractr experience, and hopfully get back out as an owner op with a tractor.
Dang I miss the road, and never pass up a chance too talk to any of yall I see out there.
While doing my rout and Like a dog with his head hangging out the car window, who happens to see another dog, in another car , Im always checking vans and straight trucks for a familar face.. proudly telling my helper " man,thats what I used to do " and going into remenicient details and stories.that only we would understand.
Sure dont miss all the global warming with all the snow its been gernerating (hee hee hee)going on up north right now.
Wish everyonr health wealth and happiness
Lance Has really done a bang up job On the site
But I WANT MY SMELLY CALLOUS RIDDEN FOOT BACK!