Ice Ice Baby

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was reading Geo's thread about falling and breaking a knee cap. Hopefully he gets back out here quickly. He was prepared for an emergency and that peace of mind will help him to heal correctly.

While in Joplin a couple of weeks ago I did not realize how icy it was and also took a fall. Luckily for me it all happened so fast I did not have time to react and only bruised my ego.

I was mad at myself that I had not put on my YakTrax shoe chains. In the winter these are kept in the side pocket of the door so they are easy to slip on. Sometimes I forget how old I am and that breaking a hip is becoming more of a reality when taking a hard fall. If you do not have shoe chains I suggest you consider looking at something to keep you from falling.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I just get out and crawl...no shame in my game lol...j/k...I have fallen from the top deck of a car hauler back in august, but luckily I landed and rolled (too many years of judo saved me I guess) and only had wind knocked out of me, didn't hit my head thank goodness...gotta be safe and take all precautions...glad it was only your ego... (btw did u get a crack in your ego, cuz mine has a crack from top to bottom)

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I broke 3 ribs a free winters ago in tha ice storm in Chicago getting in the truck on a slanted dock driveway I slipped under the truck for a while not fun at all and the load was gone already when I got there so lose lose for me

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I broke 3 ribs a free winters ago in tha ice storm in Chicago getting in the truck on a slanted dock driveway I slipped under the truck for a while not fun at all and the load was gone already when I got there so lose lose for me
Unlike.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
had a friend do that years ago...found unconconcious under the truck luckily the exhaust kept him from freezing to death until the day shift came in...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when I fell it was on dry floor trip over a box I didn't see, while carrying a box out door
but always know where you are at times

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Excellent point: the places we pick up & deliver are usually good about salting the walkways, but they don't think about the dock area. If you need to lower & raise the landing gear, it can be icy dicey around the truck.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I got stuck in a slanted dock a few times they only plow the top where tractors stop glad they had a front end loader and chains to pull me out