Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So you think that it might not need replaced? I don't have the good anti sieze but I will order it and give it a try. So I take it that the rod should move up and down when the ignition is off? I can't really get it to move at all. So what is hanging up is actually is in the vanes? And not the vnt?

I will try the big screwdriver from under the truck, was just trying from the top, maybe it's all the way down.

Thanks again for all the info!!!

Yes, the vanes or linkage get stuck, and the effort burns up the controller.
With the ignition off, it should move with a gentle shove.

balance

Rookie Expediter
You're not doing anything wrong.

Compared to this truck, what rpm was your old truck turning at say 100kph? The Hino is running between 1650-1700 rpm, correct?

There's a switch near the shifter, labeled pwr/econ, correct? If you were to stick in in pwr, it'll delay upshifts (it will rev higher) than it will in econ, which will let you accelerate a bit faster.

That kick you are feeling...is it during a downshift? These transmissions tune their shift quality as you drive it. Sometimes when they're new you feel the occasional odd bump or flare, it should learn not to do that pretty quickly. The fan on the engine can also make an incredible noise when the fan clutch engages. It takes several horsepower to turn that fan at high rpm, and the loss is noticeable.

Essentially, the Hino is a little heavier than your old 4200, but making roughly the same power, and it's rear gear ratio is kind of tall. It will do fine on the highway, but struggle on hills.

If you're mostly running up and down hills, you might consider doing a gear change, but not much else is going to help.

It's my understanding that one could get the 260HP engine from a 338 in a 268 for 2015. That would have been nice.

I use pwr when I have a load and going uphill and find that it does help but given my old truck is like a v8 and this is a straight 6, I cant complain much. Gonna put in a extra battery this week, my old truck use the thread battery, while the hino use clamps gonna have to buy a longer cable do add the battery if I want to use my old batteries (they're like less 1 year old) :/ Might grab as much as i can from my old truck because it's going to a wrecker =(

Also this week my truck did it's first def regen but it was only at 2-3 bar on the dfp meter. I just kept driving my truck when the yellow regen light came on (dealership told me i have like 80km to drive) I was surpise when I arrive, regen was completed and dfp meter was 0 and all clean =)

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I use pwr when I have a load and going uphill and find that it does help but given my old truck is like a v8 and this is a straight 6, I cant complain much. Gonna put in a extra battery this week, my old truck use the thread battery, while the hino use clamps gonna have to buy a longer cable do add the battery if I want to use my old batteries (they're like less 1 year old) :/ Might grab as much as i can from my old truck because it's going to a wrecker =(

Also this week my truck did it's first def regen but it was only at 2-3 bar on the dfp meter. I just kept driving my truck when the yellow regen light came on (dealership told me i have like 80km to drive) I was surpise when I arrive, regen was completed and dfp meter was 0 and all clean =)

Yes, like I had mentioned, it will automatically regen whenever the graph hits three bars. This will occur with no indication from the dash unless you come to a complete stop. Since the exhaust is so hot, the amber caution message on the dash pops up to remind you not to park near anything that can burn. As soon as you start moving again, the caution message goes away. Pretty soon afterward, the DPR graph shows empty, and the regen process ends.

You will rarely need to press the regen button on the dash. One scenario:you got to your destination and an automatic regen was in progress but didn't finish in time. Pressing the button will allow it to finish. If you didn't notice, it's no problem: the truck will initiate another auto regen soon after it's restarted next.

Another scenario: You are caught in a massive traffic jam for hours. The truck never moves long enough to complete an auto regen. Eventually the DPR graph goes up to 5 bars. You will get all sorts of warnings and flashing lights and alarms. That would be a good time to pull over and press the button.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stoped at the dealer in Austin TX today to rum the codes, there was the p0045, which was expected, and 2 other codes that he said were can data errors, after I left there I looked up that code and its for the vnt circuit. Just stoppped for the night, and took a peek under the hood, looks like there is a broken wire at the plug for the vnt, but it was dark and I could hear something rustling in the woods near where I was standing so I will take a better look tomorrow morning, hopefully that is the issue. Also the corner ground strap where it mounts to the frame was moved to the bracket for the sleeper and it looks pretty rusted, will do something about that too.

crossing my fingers that I get it fixed!!!!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Stoped at the dealer in Austin TX today to rum the codes, there was the p0045, which was expected, and 2 other codes that he said were can data errors, after I left there I looked up that code and its for the vnt circuit. Just stoppped for the night, and took a peek under the hood, looks like there is a broken wire at the plug for the vnt, but it was dark and I could hear something rustling in the woods near where I was standing so I will take a better look tomorrow morning, hopefully that is the issue. Also the corner ground strap where it mounts to the frame was moved to the bracket for the sleeper and it looks pretty rusted, will do something about that too.

crossing my fingers that I get it fixed!!!!

It very well could fix it. Sometimes on the 05-07 trucks, there will be CAN faults with no P0045, which means the computer can't talk to the VNT at all. The P0045 generally means the ecu can't control the VNT properly, like if its sticking. If there's a broken wire, Id expect to see Can faults. So you might be in luck.

I would not put off the nickel antiseize treatment for long. The vnt can be damaged if it keeps fighting against a stuck linkage. They sell aerosol cans of the stuff on amazon. The dealerships should have it in stock too.

Absolutely clean the grounds, especially the one on the left rear of the cab to the frame. The ecu grounds through this cable, and that alone can set CAN faults. That ground is very important. Take it down to bare metal.,

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I ordered the anti sieze, it's at home waiting for me, but I knocked the linkage off at the turbo and the rod that controls the vanes moves freely.

I looked at it this morning and there was no broken wire, the way I was looking at it in the dark made it look that way.

I know I am ticking people off only being able to do 45 to 50 on the interstate but not much else I can do at this point.

Thanks!!!!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I ordered the anti sieze, it's at home waiting for me, but I knocked the linkage off at the turbo and the rod that controls the vanes moves freely.

I looked at it this morning and there was no broken wire, the way I was looking at it in the dark made it look that way.

I know I am ticking people off only being able to do 45 to 50 on the interstate but not much else I can do at this point.

Thanks!!!!

****. It really sounds like the VNT controller is dying. The only hope at this point is a CAN error from a bad ground or flaky battery, but I'd be prepared for the inevitable turbo swap.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep vnt is bad, took it apart, found the motor connector burnt and the motor would not turn easily, messed with the connector lubed up the motor as best as I could and to my amazement the computer is "happy" not shutting it down until I get home, whew what a relief, could only go 40 mph

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yep vnt is bad, took it apart, found the motor connector burnt and the motor would not turn easily, messed with the connector lubed up the motor as best as I could and to my amazement the computer is "happy" not shutting it down until I get home, whew what a relief, could only go 40 mph
Any chance you could get a pic of the guts, the motor, #s off the motor, fried
Parts, etc?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to do a write up on it with pictures, I think that I can repair the one I have, the reason it froze up is because the motor coil is coated in plastic and with the heat generated from normal use, that plastic swelled against the armature, creating a restriction.

The nice thing is there is plenty of room to get to the vnt motor without taking the turbo off of the truck.

I can tell its sticking again, but when you start the truck and it makes it past its first "handshake" with the computer, it won't go into limo mode. I'm not going to shut the truck off until I get home.

460 more miles to go.....

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok made it home had the wife come out and rev it up while I watched and it was moving easy, shut it off and it popped right up like it should, and when she started it back up in went back down.

So I'm hopefull that once I tear it apart again and do what I'm planning it will be ok.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Ok made it home had the wife come out and rev it up while I watched and it was moving easy, shut it off and it popped right up like it should, and when she started it back up in went back down.

So I'm hopefull that once I tear it apart again and do what I'm planning it will be ok.

I hope you're making a photo essay. If this thing is easy to fix, you'll be a hero.

balance

Rookie Expediter
what brand are the hino batteries are they group 31?

I looked at the 2015 268 spec sheet and it says capacity is 1400 CCA is that per battery? I think only coaches (large batteries are 1400CCA ?)

thanks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
what brand are the hino batteries are they group 31?

I looked at the 2015 268 spec sheet and it says capacity is 1400 CCA is that per battery? I think only coaches (large batteries are 1400CCA ?)

thanks

2 batteries, 700 cca each, threaded stud, 31 series. Room exists for a third. These are AGM batteries,, the electrolyte is soaked into glass matting, making them leak and vibration resistant. They are branded as Merit. I don't know the manufacturer. They are 10 times better than the conventional Exides they replaced. The COEs have a group 27? Made by Yuasa. These are also good.

Edit: If an AGM battery goes dead (like if the lights are left on or something), they can handle this deep cycling much better than a conventional lead acid battery. The problem is that it takes a while to charge it completely. A jump start and running it for an hour won't do it. It'd be better if they are disconnected and charged separately. They like higher than average voltage for this sort of charging. After they are completely charged again, they will behave normally. We've replaced a couple under warranty when they weren't bad because this behavior wasn't recognized as being normal.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hope you're making a photo essay. If this thing is easy to fix, you'll be a hero.

Making headway on my repairs, got the bearing off of the motor, what I thought was wrong was not what I found, the plastic didn't swell, but the armature rubbing on the coil caused some of the armature to grind away, and since its a big magnet, it just stuck to the armature causing it to hang up.

I sanded everything down and cleaned it up, put some grease back in there and assembled it and it turns really easy now. Only thing left to do is to fix up the electrical connection where it melted, but that wont be that bad.

I have taken pictures of everything and will do a nice write up once I am done. I wonder if this controller was made by Garrett or Hino, if it was made by Garrett, this fix might apply to many different brands of trucks.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Making headway on my repairs, got the bearing off of the motor, what I thought was wrong was not what I found, the plastic didn't swell, but the armature rubbing on the coil caused some of the armature to grind away, and since its a big magnet, it just stuck to the armature causing it to hang up.

I sanded everything down and cleaned it up, put some grease back in there and assembled it and it turns really easy now. Only thing left to do is to fix up the electrical connection where it melted, but that wont be that bad.

I have taken pictures of everything and will do a nice write up once I am done. I wonder if this controller was made by Garrett or Hino, if it was made by Garrett, this fix might apply to many different brands of trucks.

Excellent, I'm sure many people will be interested to see it!

Jideco makes some of the VNT controllers. Maybe all of them. There are three or four different versions, depending on year.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Excellent, I'm sure many people will be interested to see it!

Jideco makes some of the VNT controllers. Maybe all of them. There are three or four different versions, depending on year.

Well, it looks like my repairs didn't work, or I screwed up something else in the VNT. I was able to get the motor cleaned up and spinning freely, but when I pulled the bearing off the front of the motor, I think I messed the little board that senses if the motor is spinning.

Well, looks like I am going to have to go back to driving my Sprinter for now, and hopefully get some good trips so I can get a new one.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well, it looks like my repairs didn't work, or I screwed up something else in the VNT. I was able to get the motor cleaned up and spinning freely, but when I pulled the bearing off the front of the motor, I think I messed the little board that senses if the motor is spinning.

Well, looks like I am going to have to go back to driving my Sprinter for now, and hopefully get some good trips so I can get a new one.
Dang. Can you post pics of the board, front and rear? Maybe it has a broken trace or something.

balance

Rookie Expediter
new-2015-hino-258alp-rollbacktowtruck-8031-12539816-1-640.jpg
IMG_20141128_154632.jpg
IMG_20141128_154644.jpg
IMG_20141128_154648.jpg
IMG_20141128_154701.jpg
IMG_20141129_202434.jpg

I plan to add my 6 months old battery from my old truck to my 2015 hino. my old battery has a threaded connector.

how do i access the battery tray, remove the rail (front nut and one in the back) and drop it in or just unscrew the front nut and the bottom driver side step to slide battery in?

where should i connect the third positive wire on to that block fuse (never seen that kind of large fuse)

where can i buy the positive covers and the plastic spray to spray on the connection after installation. They have really nice plastic on them now =)

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I plan to add my 6 months old battery from my old truck to my 2015 hino. my old battery has a threaded connector.

how do i access the battery tray, remove the rail (front nut and one in the back) and drop it in or just unscrew the front nut and the bottom driver side step to slide battery in?

where can i buy the positive covers and the plastic spray to spray on the connection after installation. They have really nice plastic on them now =)

I find it's easier to maneuver the batteries in place with the step out of the way. That hold down bracket comes out easily once the front and rear bolts are removed.

Is there a particular reason you want to add a third battery? Unless it's extremely cold where you live, I wouldn't think it's necessary. Some people like to run their liftgate or reefer off of the third one, which is separated from the other two by a battery isolator.

I mentioned before that some of the newest trucks came with AGM batteries. The ones you have there don't look like the AGMs. They look like conventional batteries.

Napa ought to have those plastic covers. Be careful, it's a tight fit in there and it'd be really easy to short out something with your wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.