Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks for the great information. I followed your advice and inspected and cleaned the fuel line but I still have the same problem. As far as replacing the SCV sensor, does it have its own code. If it were malfunctioning, wouldnt I get a code for that as well or not? Thanks again

I think that p0193 or whatever actually is an SCV code. Have you checked the harness connector?

Flatlander

Rookie Expediter
I sent you a PM.
There's a plastic piece inside the terminal body (front view). Pull it out. May have to remove the weatherpack seal. This will uncover the locking tabs that release the terminals.

So, rather than trying to get the contacts out of the connector, i went down to an auto wrecker, and the first toyota car i looked at had the exact same connector on the temperature sender (different wire colors though, cant be too easy). Cut it off with my side cutters, the guy never even charged me for it. Soldered the wires together, put on heat shrinks, taped it all back together, plugged it in, and EUREKA... It works.
Thanks greasytshirt for your info, couldn't have done it without you.

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sorry :( just another aggravated hino owner, who has no clue wtf is going on. Truly, I'm still confused and aggravated. Expect a call from me later, after I bash my head off the dash .

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So, rather than trying to get the contacts out of the connector, i went down to an auto wrecker, and the first toyota car i looked at had the exact same connector on the temperature sender (different wire colors though, cant be too easy). Cut it off with my side cutters, the guy never even charged me for it. Soldered the wires together, put on heat shrinks, taped it all back together, plugged it in, and EUREKA... It works.
Thanks greasytshirt for your info, couldn't have done it without you.

Now thats some creative thinking there!!!!

Sent from my SM-T217T using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Attention: This thread has been discovered.

If the information inside is valuable, I'd start copying what you need. I may have to make it disappear soon, or at least heavily edit it.

More information soon.

Carl Machin Chose

Rookie Expediter
hello from quebec...

heres my problem with my 238 2005...

when demanding power,the engine cuts with a series of 3 then become very smoky from the exhaust until i reach my cruising speed.

if up shifting at high rpm the engine performs well but,if climbing a hill,running with a load on the plate (its a tow truck),shifting at low rpm, it cuts mostly 3 short times 90 % of the time...then ,after it as done it ''cuts'',theres a loss of power and get smoky

The fuel filter is new,ive change the egr module (block with 2 egr valve on it) without success...

I went to hino dealer yesterday and theyve plugged the computer on it...We can see the fuel pressure graph that its actinc like a yoyo all the time...up down-up down steadily...

it does that cutting mostly around 80-90 kmh.

Ive by passed the fuel filter to check for a leak on the filter holder...no luck.

any ideas ?...seen that problem before ???

sorry for my writing,im french so hehehe

any help would be appreciated...

cheers ;)

engine info's

model JO8E-TA
ID 4HMXH07.7JTA
469 C.I.
220 hp @ 2500 rpm

and 490 000 km

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
hello from quebec...

heres my problem with my 238 2005...

when demanding power,the engine cuts with a series of 3 then become very smoky from the exhaust until i reach my cruising speed.

if up shifting at high rpm the engine performs well but,if climbing a hill,running with a load on the plate (its a tow truck),shifting at low rpm, it cuts mostly 3 short times 90 % of the time...then ,after it as done it ''cuts'',theres a loss of power and get smoky

The fuel filter is new,ive change the egr module (block with 2 egr valve on it) without success...

I went to hino dealer yesterday and theyve plugged the computer on it...We can see the fuel pressure graph that its actinc like a yoyo all the time...up down-up down steadily...

it does that cutting mostly around 80-90 kmh.

Ive by passed the fuel filter to check for a leak on the filter holder...no luck.

any ideas ?...seen that problem before ???

sorry for my writing,im french so hehehe

any help would be appreciated...

cheers ;)

engine info's

model JO8E-TA
ID 4HMXH07.7JTA
469 C.I.
220 hp @ 2500 rpm

and 490 000 km

Has the check engine light come on? If so, what code(s) were in the computer?

The fuel pressure graph...do you have a copy you can post here?

Surges in fuel pressure can be caused by the suction control valve (fuel pressure regulator).

The black smoke could be an indication that the VNT controller on the turbocharger is sticking. It could also be a problem with the mass airflow sensor.

Very difficult to say without being able to look at it with the computer myself.

UncleDave

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a question. You have been very helpful with others questions and hope you can point me in right direction.

I have a 2009 Hino 258 that has a regen problem. Check eng light is on and code P2002 indicates Regen malfunction. It seems the switch on the dash to regen does not work. I have Hino-DX and under function test, manual regen, it wont allow me to start the test. The button on dash simply does nothing. I swapped switches with another truck, and still nothing. (Switch works fine in other Hino).
Just bought the truck, and light came on 1500 miles after purchase.

So its not the switch, the bars are at 10 due to miles (165K), and apparently I didn't recognize or look at that when buying and inspecting.
Has new Turbo, injectors and Cat(dealer did about 1 year ago according to Prev Owner)

So Cant get it to regen.. What should I do?

Uncle Dave

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So Cant get it to regen.. What should I do?

First, go into the customization menu and look at 'PM amount piling up'. If it's over 8.5 or so, it'll never be able to regen it all out. Send the dpf off to get it baked. It'll pop like a tick if you don't . If it's under this value, change the value to around 3.5 This will set the DPR meter to around 5 bars or so. Also reset the DPR Related Memory.

Now try pressing the button.

If it still doesn't work, check the wiring between the switch and the ecu. Still nothing? Time for an ecu.

Adjust the exhaust brake before you regen it too. Fully warmed up, 980 rpm, you're looking for an injection quantity difference of 12mm3 with the exhaust brake on and off. Make sure the ITV has been modified (super hella important) and if the engine is overfilled with oil, drain it back to the full mark.

Edit: Call your local dealer and ask if there's any open recalls. There is a dpf recall right now, and a good portion of your troubles may be covered.

Last edited:

UncleDave

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks so much.. I reviewed your advice and checked the truck. Looks like a trip to the dealer for recalls is in my immediate future. They show 2 open recalls.
A8440 For ECU
A8510 for DPR Inspect/Replace

Thanks again. I appreciate your answer and more importantly your knowledge and willingness to share your time and info.

Uncle Dave

lippy

Rookie Expediter
Hi my 08 Hino 258 rollback jus quit on me going down the road... It was like it ran out of fuel !! shot sum starter fluid in the throttle body and it wanted to start.. feels like it has fuel issue. filter was changed 1 year ago and looks good. rather not have it towed. ANY TIPS ?? sure would appreciate it !!!

2008 Hino 268 Owner

Rookie Expediter
2008 Hino 268 Slowing to 20-30 MPH

Hello GTS. Let me try to stump you. I have a 2008 Hino 268. It will operate fine for the first 30 miles each day but then will slow down to 20-30 mph and lose all power. When this occurs the truck will shudder and the RPM will drop approximately 200RPM. We suspect it’s a fuel issue but don’t know.

Our dealer was stumped and replaced the fuel and air filters last week but that didn’t solve the problem.

Usually, if you pull over on the shoulder of the road and let it set for a while it will run for a short period of time before bogging down again. If you keep driving it at 30 MPH for a period of time it will eventually regain it’s power and get back up to 55 MPH. However it will not get to 65MPH again until it sits overnight. There are no warning or indicator lights that come on.

[FONT=&amp]Also… the emission cleaning DPR switch doesn’t light when you press it. [/FONT]Do you have any thoughts on this? The DPR indicator is only up to three bars.

We acquired the truck Oct 2013 after it had sat up for about a year while it was involved in a legal dispute. Since our acquisition we have put approximately 2,000 miles on it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks so much.. I reviewed your advice and checked the truck. Looks like a trip to the dealer for recalls is in my immediate future. They show 2 open recalls.
A8440 For ECU
A8510 for DPR Inspect/Replace

Thanks again. I appreciate your answer and more importantly your knowledge and willingness to share your time and info.

Uncle Dave

No problem.

These recalls include an ecu reflash, dpf evaluation, and a check/adjustment of the exhaust brake. Damaged dpfs are getting replaced. The inspection guidelines are pretty cut and dry.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi my 08 Hino 258 rollback jus quit on me going down the road... It was like it ran out of fuel !! shot sum starter fluid in the throttle body and it wanted to start.. feels like it has fuel issue. filter was changed 1 year ago and looks good. rather not have it towed. ANY TIPS ?? sure would appreciate it !!!

Did the check engine light come on?

Using the menu button and up/down toggle: Cycle through the options until you get to SYSTEM CHECK. Press up on the toggle. It may say NO FAULTS. Press up and hold for several seconds. Inactive Pxxxx and Uxxxx codes will be displayed.

What codes are displayed? Keep pressing up on the toggle to cycle through them.

Do not clear the codes. Just press the menu button again.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
2008 Hino 268 Slowing to 20-30 MPH

Hello GTS. Let me try to stump you. I have a 2008 Hino 268. It will operate fine for the first 30 miles each day but then will slow down to 20-30 mph and lose all power. When this occurs the truck will shudder and the RPM will drop approximately 200RPM. We suspect it’s a fuel issue but don’t know.

Our dealer was stumped and replaced the fuel and air filters last week but that didn’t solve the problem.

Is your dealer a Hino dealer?
If yes, attach Hino DXII and look at scv target and actual and common rail pressure target and actual and drive it while logging data until the truck craps out. Which parameter falls away from target?

This thing probably has a steel tank on it, right? They're starting to rust a bit, especially if they've sat with moisture in them. Drain the tank into a clean container and pull it out. Any chunks floating around inside? Remove the two elbows from the top of the tank. Look inside them. Are they packed full of junk? Blow them both out into a rag, see if anything comes out.

Davco filter or the one with the clear lid on the bottom? Clear lid one: Remove both banjo bolts and look inside. Junk gets caught in them. Davco: Remove banjo bolts and the adapters from Davco housing. Check valve in inlet sometimes gets junk caught in it.

Usually, if you pull over on the shoulder of the road and let it set for a while it will run for a short period of time before bogging down again. If you keep driving it at 30 MPH for a period of time it will eventually regain it’s power and get back up to 55 MPH. However it will not get to 65MPH again until it sits overnight. There are no warning or indicator lights that come on.

If the above fuel system inspection yields nothing, you can bypass the filter completely for a little while and run the truck off of an external tank. Be aware that the fuel won't return to your gas can or whatever, unless you also route the return line to it. Run it until it starts fouling up, pull over, attach external tank. If problem goes away, there's a fuel restriction.

If the problem doesn't go away, I'd start looking at SCV, VNT, high pressure fuel leak (rail limiter, etc. Any codes, active or inactive? I describe a few posts above how to retrieve inactive codes. Do not delete them, just write them down.

[FONT=&amp]
Also… the emission cleaning DPR switch doesn’t light when you press it.
[/FONT]
Do you have any thoughts on this? The DPR indicator is only up to three bars.

Huh. It should manually regen with three bars. Make sure the exhaust brake is off, the idle knob turned down, the parking brake is set, and don't hit the brake pedal. Turn off any ptos. The switch itself may be bad; check it with an ohmmeter.

We acquired the truck Oct 2013 after it had sat up for about a year while it was involved in a legal dispute. Since our acquisition we have put approximately 2,000 miles on it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

No problem. If you happen to be in the middle of the east coast, you can always just dump it at my shop and I'll sort it out.

Oh, another question: Air or juice brakes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.