I REALLY DID TRY TO SEARCH FOR THIS ANSWER

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Sorry folks, but I tried to search out the answer. I entered the words, "grease, zerk, hinge, door, frozen" to search in all fields and set the date to the maximum. I couldn't find that previous post.

The post was by Terry and it explained how he mounted a couple of grease zerks on his cargo van side door hinges.

If anybody has that link stored, or you can explain how I can find it using the search engine, I sure would appreciate your help.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It is really easy.

I got the tools still in my van so I can't tell you sizes but first buy the fittings and get a tap (pipe type tap) and a drill bit for the size.

I think I used a 1/4" zerk fitting with a pipe tread taper (they make straight threaded zerks), a 15/64" drill bit or maybe a 13/64" and a 15/64" tap.

I drilled off center of the hinge pin where the grease can get into the area. It helped for the uppers but I have two lowers I need to replace and when I do, I am going to pull the pin out and drill the pin out and add a zerk at the top with sprials to ensure that they stay greased right.

I thought I had taken pictures during the process, but I think those were lost.

hope this helps.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave, I think I found what you were looking for. Marty6731 posted "Cargo Van" on the general forum. The original posting was Feb. 5, 2006. Terry used self tapping Zerks on his hinges. I remember him posting pictures but couldn't find them.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard