I have one question

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I really like expediting and a few of the people are pretty nice. My question is why do most expediters seem to act like they are better than everyone else? I can seldom get anyone to talk to me in the truckstops. I bathe eveynight so I know it's not because I stink. I mean what's the problem? Why do so many especially the older husband and wife teams have a holyer than thou attitude towards people?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Walk up to the truck and just say hello. Sometimes and I am guilty of it as well, as we get this assumption that they are gona act this way or that. When I begin talking to them they turn out to be some of the nicest people around.

Just two weeks ago, I walked up to and did not know it was Pack Mule, he and his bride. So chances are if I did not go over to there truck no conversation would have taken place. My other driver has tought me a great lesson in breaking the ice, there is no one this guy cannot start up a conversation with. I have seen him address people who were in the midst of a crises, and had them almost rolling on the ground in five minutes. Attitude and preception, our Egos can get in the way by making judgements before the cards are in ones hand.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It may help you to wear some form of expedite related apparel that would identify you as a member of our community. It would also help to have a greeting other than "Are you folks making any money?" or, "is (blank company) any good?".

You might try asking an expedite related question that people would enjoy answering, such as "could you help me with a freight securement problem?" or, "Have you folks ever visited Expeditersonline?".

We've met many great folks at truckstops and elsewhere and we've met many people that just weren't interested in conversation; we usually enjoy the former and don't let the latter bother us.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I wear my P2 hat all the time, and I have a flyer for the expo in my daylight door's lower window. (the flyer for those of us on here) I just try to meet everybody I can in this buisnes, because we all have the same goal, why not help eachother get there.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
For 6 months I made it a point to visit several truck stops numerous times in the NJ, PA and NY area asking a host of expediters all about their companies, trucks and a slew of other rookie questions. At times I felt like an expediter stalker as I waited for movement in trucks, drivers returning to their trucks, walking through truck stop lots, restaurants and shops looking for drivers wearing expediter uniforms.
I carried a small notebook and would jot down notes as I talked with them and then transcribe that information to another pad later that day.
With that information reviewing posts and speaking with members on EO I was able to make a decision what company I wanted to drive for plus during one of these truck stop visits I met an O/O who hired me. This process was a win/win situation for me.
I never experienced what happened to you and can only suggest that you give it another try.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I find I keep to myself more than I should out there on the road. Like you, I bumped up against a few unfriendly folks when I first started and now I'm a little wary. I try to be friendly if someone comes up to me though and I have TJ959 on my Sprinter to encourage people from this site to stop and talk. Sometimes you can't blame people for being a little wary because of panhandlers and those guys always trying to polish your wheels. If you see me out front at the J or the Detroiter stop and talk. Lately I've had plenty of time for it.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I can see all of your points, but we can easily detect a good for nothing in about 10 words that come out of there mouths. As for us helping each other, there are some posts on here that are very critical that is a ALL FOR ME AND ME ONLY attitude. Thus luding towards the radical Snobs who cannot have the respect of others privacey at 6 AM on a Sunday morning without reving the RPMs on the high idle. Thats a truck drivers attitude not one of an Expdr.

Its easy to see ones expierence and enjoyment in this industry by ones reaction and answers to others posts, is one always negative or positive same goes for out there on the road but its up to you to break the ice. One is intitled to a screw up but should not be invited to a threat of an AsX kicking.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I used to have a list posted of the "canned" Qualcomm messages, taped to the headliner for quick reference, but now, having learned them, I've switched to a list of units, numbers, and usernames, so I will maybe recognize someone when I do see them - and I put the EO bumpersticker on my back door, but haven't run into anybody yet. And last weekend, I checked truckstops in : Charlotte (the Pilot is next door to the "Peaches & Cream Cabaret" - got my Dodge outta there pretty quick!) Fri night, Kannopolis Sat morning, (woke up to find the place jammed - wondered if there was a revival, or what, while I waited to get out of the Pilot), and then the TA & the Pilot in Spartanburg on Sat evening - nobody! So, I just spent Sunday lounging around the pool at my cousin's, in Spartanburg - sorry I missed y'all, wherever you were!:p

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
We love to meet new people and some of the best freinds we have made have been at truckstops. Sometimes we have run really hard and we are just trying to get some sleep or heaven forbid get nekked for 30 seconds. I look forward to meeting someone from the forum like broom, dave kc, rich m, greg, cheri, even phil and diane (the list is long none the less distinguished). I also look forward to finally meeting father Lawrence next time I get up to catch the cub's and Red's. I spend most of my free time at this forum as it is a part of my life (like calling home) so if after the 20th you see a beutiful blue Volvo with a reefer and a FedEx logo pull in come up and say howdy! Cynthia will talk you to death but we love what we do and would enjoy hanging out.
Mike and Cyn
aka Kitty litter and Ms Puss

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We get asked most of our questions from the public in Wal-Mart parking lots. We have never minded answering questions. We enjoy out job and we sure don't mind talking about what we do.

We also meet lots of people at truck stops and enjoy swapping stories. We have met most of our best friends in a truck stop parking lots.

We cant wait till the Expo to meet even more people.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
wow,

I haven't found that to be the case at all. Very few drivers have been like that. I'd say 99% of the people I've tried striking up a conversation w/ have been pleasant. Maybe you're running into some tough luck.

Also, I'm wondering what you ask them. Are you asking things like "how much money are ya making" or personal things like that? I would say my standard greeting is something like "how are they treatin ya?" & then the person will go on to say good or bad things, depending on their situation, about how things are going for em. It's then their choice in telling ya what they're comfortable w/.

I didn't even know EGL existed until I met someone at a gas station. A lot of drivers out there are really helpful. So keep on keepin on.

Good luck to ya,
Danny