I don't even know what I don't know but I know this...

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
I use my straight truck as personal conveyance when I'm laid over. I can go probably 99% of the places anyone else can go.

And that other 1% of the time you have someone with a rental car cart you around to visit a certain pallet licker... ;p good times, good times

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I started out this summer with myself and my brother running in a Straight truck, we slept in a motel room every night, My brother would wake up at the crack of dawn as he always does, Make coffee, watch tv, call his wife, and then move outside to work on the truck or talk to anyone he could find, he was always ready to go,ready to go, ready to go, he would call dispatch two three times, then wake me to call dispatch, he would pace the floor waiting for that load. He had come from the OTR Driving background and didnt quite understand the expedite process of waiting....HE DIDNT LAST TWO MONTHS !!!

I think the being away from Home and Loved ones didnt bother him, he just couldnt get used to the idea of after unloading we didnt have another load right then and there to pick up, but Sluggo does put it that way, If your inside a smaller sleeper, its raining or cold outside, your pretty well in a confined space, after all your movies and CDs have become old, youve read all the trucking rags and newspapers, there no Sports or TV etc....its like sitting in your bathroom at home for two, three days waiting......the only view that changes is the color of the trucks, the rumbling never stops, and there always the fella with his Pipes and Jake brake running balls to the wall down the rows blasting you at 4 am and waking you up.....there always the CB radio and its news of the world....and Truckstops and the people in them, some very freindly, others just plain weird....but I love this life, and I intend to retire from driving when they push me outta the truck into the coffin.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
If your inside a smaller sleeper, its raining or cold outside, your pretty well in a confined space, after all your movies and CDs have become old, youve read all the trucking rags and newspapers, there no Sports or TV etc....its like sitting in your bathroom at home for two, three days waiting......the only view that changes is the color of the trucks, the rumbling never stops, and there always the fella with his Pipes and Jake brake running balls to the wall down the rows blasting you at 4 am and waking you up.....there always the CB radio and its news of the world....and Truckstops and the people in them, some very freindly, others just plain weird....but I love this life, and I intend to retire from driving when they push me outta the truck into the coffin.

Wow! Described exactly how "it is" sitting in a T/S lot. I had to look to see if this was one of my posts. Throw in the smell of urine and it covers the scenario pretty much as it is.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
#1: avoid sleeping in truck stops when possible. Campgrounds and regional parks abound. I know sometimes it's not possible.

#2: get your own authority and cargo insurance with the ability to generate Acord certificates on the fly.

#3: stop in and show your face at local courier companies, show them your vehicle and give them an insurance certificate. Most will let you park for free at least one night if not more.

Just some suggestions that have worked very well for me over the years.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I travel with a bicycle in the straight truck, its a cheap schwinn, disposable really. That has made my OTR experience about 30% more enjoyable. Whatever you do, fill your time with something, don't just sit there and stew. Be productive.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Bicycles, walking, small exercise equipment (resistance bands, a roll up mat or blanket to put on the floor of the cargo hold for sit-ups). Books and games for the rainy, snowy, blustery days. Most important to GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE everyday. Even in bad weather, at least go into the truckstop or store whose lot you are in and browse.

Avoid restaurant food as much as possible. The fat and sodium will add to your doldrums. It's also more expensive than a loaf of whole grain bread and low-fat sandwich fixings. Fresh fruit, water, juices. Take along a small cooler if you don't have a mini-fridge; replenish your ice for it at truckstops.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
That is an awesome post and I think anyone that wants to get into this business should do this.

johndeereman

Active Expediter
I would agree with alot of these suggestions.I have brought some cheap nix nacs shot glasses, coffee cups t shirts for my wife and kid very cheap that I am sure, if someone would pay shipping I would easily make 100 percent or more on money spent.I try to walk alot I still do but hard when doing 5 or 600 most days .I usaully park a long way from building at truck stop forced excerise.I wished I had a bike when I was layed over in maryland, but just crossing the street on foot was a harrowing experience.I am seriously thinking about mounting a bike rack on front.I did park and sleep at petrified forest in mississippi best part of lay over when working for old broker, but sitting was all it was about while working for him.I am on the road for one purpose to run that truck to pay for my toys,sitting is so you dont have run home empty.I now believe that if I sit more than 24 hours I am working for a broker that doesnt know what is going on and should not have run me there to begin with.And wonder what a broker is thinking if I am sitting are they getting high rates to run to bad areas that you cant get out of and not passing along bonus to truck. Sitting is going to happen some but it surely shouldnt be the norm . Would anyone suggest a ccw.Pros cons it looks like all states reciprocate except 2 and I never go to new york. I do go to illinois.Some of the drops I have made have looked like pretty dangerous areas and some areas were surely very dangerous areas with many armed guards.I do not own a pistol never been interested but have hunting rifles and shotgun for hunting that is where my interest lays.I have shot several pistol ,father in law retired cop.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I fried the central scrutinizer in my IRT decoder ring trying to make sense of posts 26, 27 and 29. Thank you Tractorman for your incoherent ramblings!

Who will interpret for me now that my IRT decoder ring is toast?

Who will pull the freight on time?

Who will silence the mime?

When the meek inherit the earth, who will drive the big trucks, Cupcake?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I fried the central scrutinizer in my IRT decoder ring trying to make sense of posts 26, 27 and 29. Thank you Tractorman for your incoherent ramblings!

Who will interpret for me now that my IRT decoder ring is toast?

Simply return the ring to the Incredibly Rambling Tirades Corporation and you'll receive a new ring at no cost to you.

Who will pull the freight on time?

A little clarification please. When you say "freight", are you talking about product shipped in a truck? Or, are you going for some kind of clever double entandre?

Who will silence the mime?

You know, I'm just going to pretend you didn't take a shot at the honorable art. The invisible box, the pretend wind, these are rare and special skills, indeed.

When the meek inherit the earth, who will drive the big trucks, Cupcake?

Do you really think the meek will inherit the earth? Do you also believe the Warren Report and that astronauts actually walked on the moon?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Surely Moot and Frank Zappa believe in the mystical powers of the Central Scrutinizer. Visit Joe's Garage for additional info. :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am with Moot, but id really like to know why the "Green Tractor Man" felt it necessary to hijack Sluggo's good thread with his bs???:rolleyes:

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Im pretty sure tractor man was speaking of jefferson3000 in one of those not so understandable posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Im pretty sure tractor man was speaking of jefferson3000 in one of those not so understandable posts.

Sooo? if he has an issue with anyone, take it up with them, or if you feel the need to make it public, then give it its own thread...No reason i rudely hijack another persons "informative" informational " thread that will be of benefit to many people with your own personal issues with another individual, carrier or broker...it was totally uncalled for....personally ithink his post with possible exception of the last one should be deleted as worthless to the subject of the thread....

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Sooo? if he has an issue with anyone, take it up with them, or if you feel the need to make it public, then give it its own thread...No reason i rudely hijack another persons "informative" informational " thread that will be of benefit to many people with your own personal issues with another individual, carrier or broker...it was totally uncalled for....personally ithink his post with possible exception of the last one should be deleted as worthless to the subject of the thread....

Couldnt agree more dennis. Not sure why he felt the need to talk down to another member with 3 seperate posts in another persons thread.

zanico

Expert Expediter
I've been reading this site for about 5 years now. I want to expedite but it's not the right time yet. I'm about a year or so away. I am going to try Sluggo's suggestion. I've often wondered how I would react to sitting for a few days. I always thought I would just surf the internet, watch movies, walk around, etc. Well, this will show me what it's really like. Excellent idea!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediting in a van is kinda like living under a bridge but with wheels.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I think Frank Zappa would have said Great Googly Moogly to Tractor mans Diatribe,,,maybe hes gonna be a Dental floss Tycoon in another life...with that Stinkfoot, and the Pajama People...see what happens when you sit in a truckstop parking lot inhaling Fumes, Urine and talking to Lizards...

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
"Re: I don't even know what I don't know but I know this...
I think Frank Zappa would have said Great Googly Moogly to Tractor mans Diatribe,,,maybe hes gonna be a Dental floss Tycoon in another life...with that Stinkfoot, and the Pajama People...see what happens when you sit in a truckstop parking lot inhaling Fumes, Urine and talking to Lizards..."

YOU TURN INTO A ZOMBIE WOOF WHO HEARS NOTHING BUT A DYNA MOE HUMM!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
"Re: I don't even know what I don't know but I know this...
I think Frank Zappa would have said Great Googly Moogly to Tractor mans Diatribe,,,maybe hes gonna be a Dental floss Tycoon in another life...with that Stinkfoot, and the Pajama People...see what happens when you sit in a truckstop parking lot inhaling Fumes, Urine and talking to Lizards..."

YOU TURN INTO A ZOMBIE WOOF WHO HEARS NOTHING BUT A DYNA MOE HUMM!

And don't go where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums