I don't even know what I don't know but I know this...

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
My time in expediting is so limited I don't even know what I don't know. BUT, there are two pieces of advice I can offer potential newbies who think this would be a really cool way to make some "extra cash."

First, read anything you can find in these threads by doing a search and then ask some questions.

Then find someone you trust, perhaps a close friend or family member. You will need to secure the use of a vehicle for 2-3 days without any interruption. Grab some creature comforts like an I-pod, dvd player, electric blanket, cell phone, laptop, hygiene products and any other items you feel you'll need to make things comfortable. You decide as this will be a short little 2-3 day experiment.

Next, have the aforementioned person follow you to a predetermined location, someplace far enough away that you can't walk home. Have that person take your keys and leave you sitting right where you are, with your vehicle and any other items you think will be needed. Stay there a minimum of 2 days. This will give a very limited but important look into what sitting in between loads is like.

This, by far, has been the most challenging aspect of this new career. Not the weather, driving itself, or the inconsistency of the revenue source. The time alone, even with all the things you can possibly think of to fill the void, is MY biggest challenge.

All the research I did here about anything I thought would be a stumbling block doesn't address one thing. How will you react to being away from home, away from family and everything familiar. Words on a screen typed by experienced drivers offering advice can not possibly capture that that. It's something you have to feel. Do yourself a favor and put yourself in this situation to feel it before you decide to just "hit the road."

I enjoy time by myself at home, in a different room, reading or hammering on this laptop. It is a far different thing being 700 miles from home and knowing if you move it will cost you money.

Everyone reacts to adversity differently and this may be nothing to other people. Coming from a total "noob" this may mean very little to some. There are others out there who know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm going to give this all I have. The benefits out weigh the pitfalls thus far. But, as stated earlier, I really don't know what I don't know yet. If you are considering this as a career, this is my contribution for your research, such as it is.

Reactions: 2 people

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My time in expediting is so limited I don't even know what I don't know. BUT, there are two pieces of advice I can offer potential newbies who think this would be a really cool way to make some "extra cash."

First, read anything you can find in these threads by doing a search and then ask some questions.

Then find someone you trust, perhaps a close friend or family member. You will need to secure the use of a vehicle for 2-3 days without any interruption. Grab some creature comforts like an I-pod, dvd player, electric blanket, cell phone, laptop, hygiene products and any other items you feel you'll need to make things comfortable. You decide as this will be a short little 2-3 day experiment.

Next, have the aforementioned person follow you to a predetermined location, someplace far enough away that you can't walk home. Have that person take your keys and leave you sitting right where you are, with your vehicle and any other items you think will be needed. Stay there a minimum of 2 days. This will give a very limited but important look into what sitting in between loads is like.

This, by far, has been the most challenging aspect of this new career. Not the weather, driving itself, or the inconsistency of the revenue source. The time alone, even with all the things you can possibly think of to fill the void, is MY biggest challenge.

All the research I did here about anything I thought would be a stumbling block doesn't address one thing. How will you react to being away from home, away from family and everything familiar. Words on a screen typed by experienced drivers offering advice can not possibly capture that that. It's something you have to feel. Do yourself a favor and put yourself in this situation to feel it before you decide to just "hit the road."

I enjoy time by myself at home, in a different room, reading or hammering on this laptop. It is a far different thing being 700 miles from home and knowing if you move it will cost you money.

Everyone reacts to adversity differently and this may be nothing to other people. Coming from a total "noob" this may mean very little to some. There are others out there who know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm going to give this all I have. The benefits out weigh the pitfalls thus far. But, as stated earlier, I really don't know what I don't know yet. If you are considering this as a career, this is my contribution for your research, such as it is.

VERY well said. I have mentioned many times to tractor trailer drivers that the sitting between loads tends to be more than they can stand after being used to running every day. I dont remember warning newbies of the same....but it applies to all of us. Some can make it work, some can't. It takes a certain mentality.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Good post sluggo!

I think of all the things I could be doing if I were at home. But after 7 years of this, I have learned to deal with it. 3 Days of sitting in this truck while waiting for a load and I am a basket case. And broke.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
You get unlimited texts n minutes n burnem up. Fam friends new friends old friend bad friends blue friends lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep posting this stuff Sluggo! Your experiences are fresh, on the mark and much more relevant to newbies than that of veterans.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately, some will read and STILL not get it. I have owners operators that are becoming very successful, and some that are just struggling to get by. The struggling ones can struggle for a number of reasons, but a predominate reason seems to be that they are unprepared for the lifestyle I'll say to until I'm blue in the face, but even awesome freight towns aren't awesome every day. Then there are days like Monday, where we booked a truck out of Tulsa less that four hours after emptying in the same place. Not being prepared for sitting causes you to make bad decisions, like moving to another area, simply because sitting has become unbearable to you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This was discussed a while ago at length and still we keep hearing how bad it is after they were warned.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Sluggo excellent post
Greg, not many post about their innermost thoughts and you are there mocking. Fortunately I run team, and the times I go solo to pick up or deliver its not the same. My daughter is in FL, Mom in AL, home is in OR. I am the trip planner. I research routes, stopping points, what to do and what to see in destinations. We find things to collect on the road and sell from the sleeper on Ebay. My hubby brings his guitar and amp. We try to sample local cuisine. I keep a journal. My hubby gets frustrated caged in the truck. He is the future planner. His journal is full of house plans, neon signs to make, goldmining trips he wants to do, etc. We each make personal goals to reach the day we can stay home. I purchased a cargo van last year with our tax refund. I am promoting a custom cargo business to launch at the end of the year while driving now. I have a nook and download free books. But the loneliness I can't help you with. Most of us on EO can commiserate with you. We all miss something while on the road.
Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
This was discussed a while ago at length and still we keep hearing how bad it is after they were warned.

Very true. Just had another discussion that proves my point. Here are a few more reasons why people can't handle it:

1. They never figured out their operating costs, and needlessly waste running expenses,

2. They got into the business out of desperation (understandable in light of recent times), and desperation causes them to panic,

3. They come from an employee mindset and can't break from that into a small business frame of mind. They expect to walk in and have their income handed to them on a platter. One area is to view their business by months and seasons, and not day to day.

4. They are unteachable by those of experience in the field. They comprehend the big things but let the minor things that would fine tune them fall on deaf ears. Looking for quick fixes, they shun wisdom and listen to foolish talk from strangers.

5. The unknown. I have been in the freight biz for 20 years and their are some things I still cannot prognosticate. I have trucks that ran as much as 4400 loaded miles in the last seven days, and some that ran as little as1000.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Kat I'm not mocking any one at all. I'm one who started a thread about being away from home when things happen and further spoke about my personal issues with it.

I hear it all the time of how hard it is, and I am sympathetic of some but not all who realize how hard this can be. Unlike you, many of us don't have the luxury of selling things or having our spouse with us, we have had to start with nothing and learn on our own to provide for our families alone while coming to the reality of the road and the idiots we meet. I'm all for success but that means people learning from everyone who offers an opinion and understand that we all have something to offer.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Agreed Greg. My ebay business has a purchase price limit of
$50. Do it with my cellphone - And I agree its a luxury to drive with my hubby. Just giving some ideas on how to beat boredom.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Great post Slugo and as Moot said keep posting from your stand point...its easier for people tp take it from a newbie, they don't figure that you are trying to keep them out of the business as some feel the vets of the business are doing when they post the negative side...

For you, get out of the truck, go meet and talk to total strangers..make new friends and it will help alot...lol, even those that you might meet that are members here tend to not be what you think they might be...well there are exceptions and some are still at pita in person too....just ask some that have met me....:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Agreed Greg. My ebay business has a purchase price limit of
$50. Do it with my cellphone - And I agree its a luxury to drive with my hubby. Just giving some ideas on how to beat boredom.

I agree, there are a lot more that you can do, but Slugo is doing all of us a favor by saying things that should be said more often.

Like I am saying some are told and some ignore it thinking that they will make it back home or keep running.

When I started, I was sitting for two days at a time, E-1 was like that, we even had a good time when a bunch of us were sitting together and calling into dispatch to see if they would repeat the same thing - they did often. We all left and they got mad at us but it has happened more than once. It was hard sitting, you couldn't do much and one of the reasons I keep telling people that the best thing they can do is find how to work the system or change it to your advantage.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Just waiting for the latest update. :)

Thanks for the great job you do for us Steve. We all appreciate you.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Sitting is by far the hardest thing to do in this job. It's almost like the clock stops when you park the truck and time forgets about you.

If your in a van, you have more freedoms (unless your carrier has a stupid time clock for you) as you can use your van to move about the area and explore. If you have a clock, or are in a 10K+ truck your going to have to walk, bike, rollerblade, take a cab or what ever from your truck to explore. Don't go to far. The best load offers come after your to far from your truck to get to the load in time, or right after you check in to the hotel.

Find things you can do in the truck to keep yourself busy. Get a e-reader (much easier to handle than books) and/or a laptop to web surf. Make sure the laptop has a DVD player. It eliminates the need for a tv/player. If you want tv get a small USB tuner for the laptop.

Some of the most memorable trips I had with panther was when I had down time. I went to the hoover dam, strugis (at the right time of the year of course) Rushmore, crazy horse and more.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use my straight truck as personal conveyance when I'm laid over. I can go probably 99% of the places anyone else can go.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I travel with a bicycle in the straight truck, its a cheap schwinn, disposable really. That has made my OTR experience about 30% more enjoyable. Whatever you do, fill your time with something, don't just sit there and stew. Be productive.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums