I Can't Breathe...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree. The reason for leaving the road and entering the park and pulling up on him that fast was to get the advantage of the element of surprise, in order to take him down. They knew what they wanted to do before the got there. Never having heard "It's probably fake" no doubt played a major part in that decision.

Both time and distance would have allowed them to observe and evaluate without needlessly escalating the situation and making such a mistake. I do think the shooter deserves some jail time, as well as the driver, but I don't think either one will get any. The problem is, the Cleveland PD that hired him without a background check from his former employer makes them just as culpable as the two officers, if not moreso, because they allowed an officer on the streets with a gun who had no business being there in the first place. Not to mention the dispatcher who failed to pass on pertinent information.

Look what happens to a motor carrier when they allow a driver to drive for them who shouldn't be driving. This is the same thing. So Cleveland PD is just as at fault. And of course, they were already being investigated and under close scrutiny for excessive lethal force as it is.