I-81 Harrisburg, Pa WARNING

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Because I want ALL drivers from ALL carriers to be safe, I repost this, here in the General Forum.

Local news; Channel 4 News; WARNING: BLACK ICE warning has already been put in effect for this evening. PA DOT advises that according to the National Weather Service, a Black Ice Warning will be effective this evening through the over night hours. Tempuratures will drop in the low teens this evening and with all the melting snow, black ice WILL BE PRESENT, ESPECIALLY on BRIDGES, OVERPASSES and LOW LYING AREAS. Travellers are urged to use EXTREME CAUTION!!

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Because I want ALL drivers from ALL carriers to be safe, I repost this, here in the General Forum.

Local news; Channel 4 News; WARNING: BLACK ICE warning has already been put in effect for this evening. PA DOT advises that according to the National Weather Service, a Black Ice Warning will be effective this evening through the over night hours. Tempuratures will drop in the low teens this evening and with all the melting snow, black ice WILL BE PRESENT, ESPECIALLY on BRIDGES, OVERPASSES and LOW LYING AREAS. Travellers are urged to use EXTREME CAUTION!!

ty ........ im not heading that way but willpass the word along ...

to this page....... :)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/RoadTalk

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter

Turtle; I did post this black ice warning in the general forum as well but I added at the bottom of the"update;truckstop power outages". I quess I should have seperated it into a different blog as I did in our forum. it makes it sound as though I only posted it in our forum and that I was only wanting our drivers to know and to be safe. I have posted info in both forums so all would know what was happening here. My apologies to all for this error. Skip

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PA DOT advises that according to the National Weather Service, a Black Ice Warning will be effective this evening through the over night hours.

Did the National Weather Service really issue a Black Ice Warning? I have a problem with the terms Black Ice, black ice and blacque ice. Ever hear a trucker say, after sliding into the ditch or another vehicle, "Deeamn that were slickest clear/white ice I never did see." It's always the black ice that gets them, every time.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did the National Weather Service really issue a Black Ice Warning? I have a problem with the terms Black Ice, black ice and blacque ice. Ever hear a trucker say, after sliding into the ditch or another vehicle, "Deeamn that were slickest clear/white ice I never did see." It's always the black ice that gets them, every time.

Here is an example of white ice.

img4e2e81a54b3c3.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure the E.R. admittance form will state: Slipped on black ice.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Moos; yes the NWS advised a black ice warning PER the local news network, which I stated in one of my posts. All I did was pass along what the LOCAL NEWS NETWORK stated and is STILL STATING throughout the ENTIRE DAY. You seem to be taking the term "BLACK ICE" incorrectly. I have been trucking for almost 13 yrs and have NEVER HEARD IT CALLED ANYTHING ELSE. On the CB, if you have one-some drivers don't, then I AM SURE you have heard it as well. Again, all I was doing was letting everyone know of the warning, if it offended you (I wouldn't know why it wouldy then I personally apologize to you for how the local news station using the term Black Ice, these were not my words but theirs.
Turtle; I am shockingly surprised with the heading of your post of which I posted in another forum. I did post it in the general forum as well, just under a different title that had equally important info. If I didn't post it as you thought I should have, forgive me, I am still new to this site and am doing my best to keep ALL expediters informed of the conditions around ME. I don't think that it was right that you INDIRECTLY ACCUSED me of not warning everyone in the general forum, but I did...I believe you didn't read the updated posts, if you would have...then this conversation wouldn't have happened. Again, I offer you and everyone else an apology for not posting it seperately from the" power outage update". Respectfully, Skip

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
October 2011
28th-31st. Turning stormy over the Atlantic seaboard, with heavy rains and widespread flooding; some wet snow could mix in over the higher elevations of New England.

November 2011
1st-3rd. Clearing and colder.
4th-7th. Unsettled. Runners in New York's ING Marathon may need umbrellas.
8th-11th. Pleasant weather.
12th-15th. Heavy showers and a few thunderstorms, gale-force winds Mid-Atlantic Coast. Squally across the Northeast, some snow possible in New England.
16th-19th. Windy, cold.
20th-23rd. Unsettled, with some rain and/or wet snow north.
24th-27th. Fair at first, then turning very unsettled, with squalls; hopefully, the adverse weather holds off until after the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.
28th-30th. Clearing and turning progressively colder.
December 2011
1st-3rd. Partly cloudy New England; showers Mid-Atlantic States.
4th-7th. Turning colder.
8th-11th. Heavy snow, with accumulations of 4 to 8 inches upstate New York and northern New England. Farther south, heavy showery rains and perhaps thunderstorms.
12th-15th. Cold, with a few showers and flurries.
16th-19th. Unsettled initially, possibly icy, followed by clearing.
20th-23rd. Increasingly cloudy with heavy rains possible, which could lead to widespread flooding.
24th-27th. Rains end, turning fair and colder
Farmer almanac

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
October 2011
28th-31st. Turning stormy over the Atlantic seaboard, with heavy rains and widespread flooding; some wet snow could mix in over the higher elevations of New England.

November 2011
1st-3rd. Clearing and colder.
4th-7th. Unsettled. Runners in New York's ING Marathon may need umbrellas.
8th-11th. Pleasant weather.
12th-15th. Heavy showers and a few thunderstorms, gale-force winds Mid-Atlantic Coast. Squally across the Northeast, some snow possible in New England.
16th-19th. Windy, cold.
20th-23rd. Unsettled, with some rain and/or wet snow north.
24th-27th. Fair at first, then turning very unsettled, with squalls; hopefully, the adverse weather holds off until after the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.
28th-30th. Clearing and turning progressively colder.
December 2011
1st-3rd. Partly cloudy New England; showers Mid-Atlantic States.
4th-7th. Turning colder.
8th-11th. Heavy snow, with accumulations of 4 to 8 inches upstate New York and northern New England. Farther south, heavy showery rains and perhaps thunderstorms.
12th-15th. Cold, with a few showers and flurries.
16th-19th. Unsettled initially, possibly icy, followed by clearing.
20th-23rd. Increasingly cloudy with heavy rains possible, which could lead to widespread flooding.
24th-27th. Rains end, turning fair and colder
Farmer almanac

IRT; thanx for posting that info, well appreciated. Haven't been out of the truckstop yet since we brokedown, but have every intention on buying a new farmers almanac. Where is the best place to pick one up at?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Skip-
It was Moot; not Turtle..........and ya gotta be careful. Every once in a blue moon, Moot lets this little thing out called sarcasm. Sometimes it's thinly veiled, but you can find it.

My posts may be oozing sarcasm like pus from an open wound but I do not believe in black ice. I detest any reference to black ice. Ice is ice. Blaming black ice for an accident is a cop-out. Like somehow if it was regular ice everything would have been hunk-dory. Again, ice is ice! The colder the air temperature, the less slippery the surface of ice is. I will admit I was thinking of going into the politically correct/racial area with this, but refrained because I truly detest the term "BLACK ICE".

"I'm just a soul who's intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."

Last edited:

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle; my deepest apologies for entering your name in reference to the post about the "ice" issue. I meant for it to be directed to moot, again; my deepest apologies. When I read the msgs it all ran together because sometimes my blackberry doesn't seperate some of the posts.
Usafk9; thank you for pointing out that error, its well appreciated. I don't like to misquote anyone or create drama, so thank you again.
Moot: I, personally, am not one to look at anything in a racial way, nor do I make any kinds of statements meant in that way. All I did was quote, ver-batum, the term used by Channel 4 News and the NWS, of which I monitor as well on my Cobra29WX NW ST (sound tracker). The NWS coins the same term referring to the type of ice present on roadways when temps are below freezing. Not meaning to sound like a smarty pants, but when I went to CDL school 12 1/2 yrs ago, the "ice" term was taught then and my better half, of who just graduated CDL school earlier this year, was taught the same term. I am not coining the term "..... Ice" out of respect to the fact that it offends you which was never my intention in the first place.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
I editted the incorrect post and apologized to those parties involved and thanked usafk9 for pointing this error out to me, again, turtle; my apologies-I editted the pos, and thank you for pointing out my error usafk9.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have lived in Minnesota all my life so I have had some experience with ice. I have heard it used by the news media and frequently on the cb, but never as a National Weather Service warning. I believe the term "black ice" to be a misnomer. It's has nothing to with race or being politically correct. Ice is frozen water and is clear to semi-translucent in color. Thin ice forming atop asphalt pavement may appear black much like the lines of a hockey rink appear to be blue or red due to the color of the underlying surface. So called black ice is just ice. Not some sinister mystery ice just waiting to get you. It's ice, it's cold and it's slippery. Be careful when driving on it.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I will admit I was thinking of going into the politically correct/racial area with this, but refrained because I truly detest the term "BLACK ICE".

Good Gawd.......

Black Ice...Black Ice....Black Ice......Black Ice........

It's a term that was taught to us in Drivers Ed some 30 Plus years ago when it came to winter driving. It's a term that I've heard several thousand times during my 700K mile PLUS driving career. It's term that's been discussed on many many a trucking board all over the internet for several years now.

Again, and I repeat, Black Ice....Black Ice......Black Ice.....Black Ice......

Don't like the terminology, Ignore It. I for sure am going to keep saying it.