Hydraulics to lift rear end of Ford Transit 350 XL?

seanli

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi all,
I heard this forum might be a good place to ask for some advice. I have a Transit 350 XL Cargo, and I installed a Tommy Gate lift gate on the back. However unfortunately the extended overhang on the back plus the added gate structure underneath means less clearance, so whenever I hit even a modest incline, the back end scrapes the ground. My best bet to this date has been to go in at an angle and hope for the best.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and thought of installing hydraulics to be able to temporarily lift the back by about a foot or so if possible. I've seen people raise the back by around 3 inches, but nothing more extreme.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
If you had the lift installed by an authorized dealer, I would ask them. If they don't have an answer it's probably because it shouldn't have been installed. I have seen Transits with the hydraulic ramp but not a full liftgate??

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seen the cantilever type installed on Sprinters.

Seanli what type of freight do you haul?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hydraulics to lift a loaded parked van a foot or so (reliably) will easily weigh 500 lbs further adding to your problems. Also, lifting a foot and still being able to move the van would require having a way that the stock rear suspension could unhook from the frame as after about 5 inches the springs would be massively stretched out the wrong way.

I would agree with the statement above about the dealer....they never should have installed it.