How will this truck work?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
A friend of mine who runs mostly the western states is ordering a new truck to replace a Hino that was wrecked a few months ago.
He was able to salvage the 84 inch sleeper and 18 foot box.
Here are the specs he sent me on what he is ordering next week.

2012 Peterbilt 337
Motor: Paccar PX 8, 330 HP, 1000 lb-foot torque
Transmission: Eaton 10 speed auto
Wheelbase: 274 inches
Front Axle: 13,000 lbs
Rear Axle: 20,000 lbs
Brakes: Hydraulic Discs front and rear with Meritor ABS
Fuel Tanks: 2-23 inch 100 gallon
Wheels: 22.5 inch aluminum

He is only registering the truck at 25,950 pounds even though it is rated at 33,000. He mostly hauls boat motors for his brothers rebuild shop and says he has never had more than 6000 pounds.

Any thoughts on how well it will handle the mountains out west?
Guesses on fuel mileage?
He mainly runs CA, WA, OR, AZ, NM, TX, NV.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Tire size is 22.5
I think the ratio is 3.91 as it is going to have the 10 speed auto.
It was going to be a 5.29 before he decided on the 10 speed.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Considering the amount of weight he hauls the 3.91 ratio seems a little low to me as he is using a 10 speed which usually has a .74 OD ratio in 10th. Present tractor currently running 3.36 rears behind 10 speed auto shift and 475 hp engine. Suggest he gets the dealer to run various ratios to get pick best torque/HP/rpm combo.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Considering the amount of weight he hauls the 3.91 ratio seems a little low to me as he is using a 10 speed which usually has a .74 OD ratio in 10th. Present tractor currently running 3.36 rears behind 10 speed auto shift and 475 hp engine. Suggest he gets the dealer to run various ratios to get pick best torque/HP/rpm combo.

The factory is supposed to be doing the final checks for gear ratio and HP settings to achieve the best fuel economy and performance.
The reason for the hydraulic brakes is brake failure was sited as a contributing factor in the accident that destroyed the Hino.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
It's my understanding that any advantages of being under 26,000 lbs are only available if the truck is rated under 26k. In other words, the gvwr sticker will determine the regulations, not the weight he chooses to license it for? I think this truck will be seen as a 33k lb truck in the regulations.

Monty

Expert Expediter
And I think he is ordering way to much truck for the job to be done.

Stick with Hino, or a FL70 Freightliner ... hell, even an Izuzu!

Why poor money into a truck that simply has known name?

That's like buying a Ford Epedition to commute 10 miles to work each day. :cool:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It's my understanding that any advantages of being under 26,000 lbs are only available if the truck is rated under 26k. In other words, the gvwr sticker will determine the regulations, not the weight he chooses to license it for? I think this truck will be seen as a 33k lb truck in the regulations.

I agree, but I believe that the upfitter that is installing his sleeper and box can change it. He has a CDL but his wife does not. That's the reason for the 25,950 GVWR.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I agree, but I believe that the upfitter that is installing his sleeper and box can change it. He has a CDL but his wife does not. That's the reason for the 25,950 GVWR.

They probably can, and that would work for me. I would prefer the heavier duty truck too myself as I long as he doesn't sacrifice fuel mileage. The heavier duty truck will hold up better over time.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Some carriers, such as Landstar, will use the manufactuer's info to decide if is is under, or over, the listed weight.

But then, of course, Landstar won't approve a driver without a CDL anyway ... so that point is moot.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
He probably knows this, but I was just thinking of weight. He needs to be sure he can be under 20k empty in order to carry the 6k lbs. That seems like a stretch to me, but my truck is a class 8 and a lot heavier. I have no experience with the class 7 trucks.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reason for the hydraulic brakes is brake failure was sited as a contributing factor in the accident that destroyed the Hino.

"Brake failure" is a rather broad and nebulous term. Can you be more specific? If the failure was because of heat build up resulting in brake fade, then going to a hydraulic system adds one more component that will fail due to excessive heat.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
"Brake failure" is a rather broad and nebulous term. Can you be more specific? If the failure was because of heat build up resulting in brake fade, then going to a hydraulic system adds one more component that will fail due to excessive heat.

Right front brake chamber blew out causing the vehicle to turn during an emergency stop.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Personally, I would not give up on air brakes when considering a truck that heavy, just because of a fluke. They are still more resilient than hydraulics for a big truck.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The other reason for the hydraulic brakes is his wife does not have a CDL or air brake endorsement.
All he does is run for his brothers company under there authority.
Any ideas on fuel mileage and how it will pull the mountains?
Truck has been ordered and will be built in about 6 weeks.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Surprisingly this truck is now built and leaving on it's maiden voyage 2 weeks ahead of schedule.
It weighed in completely loaded up with fuel, drivers and personal belongings at just under 19k.
The upfitter rated it at 25990 GVWR.
It's painted all red including the box so if it you see it say Hi to Russ and his wife Karen.