How to cover cost of new driver?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I am just wondering how some of the fleet owners and other owners assure the cost of hiring a new driver and the cost involved in doing so....when you send one to orentation, do they pay all the cost of getting there, hotel room, getting home ect...based on some of the figures I have been given, its gonna cost about $800 to send one to class and get them started...how do you secure not losing all your money on this?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You really don't. It is a assumed risk. Costs will vary though depending on where the team is coming from and where the equipment is located.
Cost could be well under $800, or above depending on those factors and what you agree to.
For us, we give them a truck with full fuel from orientation and pay the hotel etc.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I consider it a bilateral risk, them in taking the job and me in hiring them. I want them to have something invested in their career just as I do. I start them with full fuel tanks which is a significant amount and provided they perform up to expectations give a bonus of $250 at 90 days and another $250 bonus at 180 days. That gives them some incentive to try to make it work and stick with it/me.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would drive for either Dave or Leo, in a heartbeat, if either of them would take a solo - because they "get it". It's a bilateral relationship, with risk and reward for both parties. The risks that owners assume are obvious, but drivers assume risks too: that the owner will be available (especially in case of emergency), honest, and able to cover the costs of maintenance and repairs, when they are needed.
Every situation is different, but if the owner assumes the cost of transportation to orientation, and accommodations during the 2-3 days, then they have a right to require a minimum standard of performance to cover the outlay, IMO.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Any time you get involved with a new contractor/sub-contractor, jes shake some hot sauce on it, eat it, and move on.