How to cook corn

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Fresh corn is now in all the stores. We recently found it at 4 ears for $1.00. What a great veggie to add to our meals while the corn is fresh!

Here is how to cook corn in the truck:
Buy it still in the husk - don't stand there and shuck it! Place two ears of corn in the microwave (still in the husk) and cook on high for 5 minutes. It will be very hot - handle with care! Pull back the husk and the silk inside sticks to the husk. Remove it all and enjoy your fresh ear of corn.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just a quick question, has anyone tried the frozen corn in the water bottle storage idea?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have not heard or seen anything of corn in a bottle! India glad you reminded us of this great idea.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hey Greg, thanks for the link....neat idea!

India, we shucked the corn first before microwaving an it still came out wonderful.:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You're welcome. Glad it helps.

The site is pretty neat and when you think about it, the Bento is actually really good for us who have limited space.

Can't wait to get back out in the Bay area to shop at the stores she mentions.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
5 minutes? That sounds like a lot in the micro. I've always thought you shouldn't really cook corn, just heat it up. When I boil it I just put it in boiling water for a couple of minutes and it's still crisp and juicy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I like the idea of freezing things in plastic bottles, but not corn, because a bag of frozen corn is my 'emergency icepack' :D
PS Star, 7 minutes in boiling water is how I've always cooked fresh corn, and it works for me.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
5 minutes? That sounds like a lot in the micro. I've always thought you shouldn't really cook corn, just heat it up. When I boil it I just put it in boiling water for a couple of minutes and it's still crisp and juicy.

It really is good in the microwave..sometimes if you have more
than 2 pcs it takes a little longer to cook.. just peel the husk
down and smear with butter and salt.. very good .

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We finally bought corn that was still dressed in its husk and microwaved two pieces for 5 minutes. I was amazed at how easy it was to undress the corn and get all the silk off. I had pretty much quit buying corn in the husk due to what pain it was to shuck it. Cooking it in the microwave was quick, easy to clean up and very good. You have a winner here India for sure! Thanks

Team_Logan

Seasoned Expediter
We eat corn-on-the-cob at least twice a week in the truck. We were very skeptical about those microwave steaming bags we see at Wal-Mart in the baggie aisle, but one day we bought them ... and we will never turn back! They are very inexpensive (only a few dollars for 20 bags) and you can steam sooo many things in them in a matter of minutes.

You can not only use these bags to steam fresh veggies (we do fresh broccoli alot, too), but you can also use them for frozen veggies, as well as several meats and potatoes.

Super easy to use, inexpensive and quick clean-up! You can't beat that in the truck. The corn always comes out very crunchy and sweet, too! Give them a try, I guarantee many of you will LOVE them!

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ever notice there r NO caned......... broccli or brussel sprouts wonder why??? hmmmm lol

ok enough pondering............

1 ear of fresh corn in the husk
peel back husk....... take the hairy stuff off.......
then pulle husk bk over corn ....
place corn in micro wave...... for 4 min.
enjoy