How much experience?

Tenure in expiditing

• Total voters

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Just curious as to the extent of experience out here on EO. Now, by experience it can ONLY entail expiditing. Do not include other experience in driving no matter what it is. Also not counting the time exploring this business, what I am after is from the time you got behind the wheel and took your first load.

I am into my 16th mo.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I started driving on Dec. 14th, 2006, became an O/O on April 14th, 2007. Had other metro detroit courrier jobs for years, but I won't count those here since you're looking for only "expedited driving".

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Started expediting in October, 2001.... I notice there seems to be a huge drop off after the ten year mark. I wonder what accounts for that? I love expediting.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Started expediting in October, 2001.... I notice there seems to be a huge drop off after the ten year mark. I wonder what accounts for that? I love expediting.

I think that is the turning point of losing your sanity:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I started expediting January, 1997 as an employee driving a company owned van or a leased straight truck. In May of 1998 I bought my first van and became an owner/operator.

I may be a veteran, but I am not nearly as grizzled as Highway Star. He's as sun baked and weather checked as a 10 year old wheel chock at the end of a rusty chain.

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter
Randy started back in July of "97" with Roberts( now fedex cc). He drove as a single till 5 years ago when he had me quit my job and join him out here as a team. We have seen a lot and experienced a lot of changes over the years.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I think that is the turning point of losing your sanity:D

No doubt time takes its toll. I'm thinking most expediters are probably older ( 45-55 years old) when they start in this industry compared to the average age of new entrants in other lines of work. Given they are older from day one, they are working with a shorter time horizon.

This industry is not kind to young folks in particular. Expediting is not very conducive to those in their 20's and 30's who are just starting marriages and new families. Naturally, they want to be home more often, and who can blame them?

The flip side of the coin is folks a little older are usually empty nesters with the time, patience and maturity to adapt to the expediting lifestyle. I don't have any statistics, but would venture a guess that most under-35 years of age last less than one year in expediting.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I may be a veteran, but I am not nearly as grizzled as Highway Star. He's as sun baked and weather checked as a 10 year old wheel chock at the end of a rusty chain.

What you refer to as "sun baked and weather checked" is actually a healthy tan and lines that define character. Gray hair is sexy, dang it! Those youngsters think they're so cool with their "6-pack abs". I've got a keg!!