how much can i make driving a van

b2boggs

Seasoned Expediter
It all depends, on a lot of things, o/o or driving for someone else. what type of home time you want,where you live and how hard you want to run.
There's a lot of post on here, search them it may help you.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
can someone help me

Welcome to the forums. Your question is difficult to answer. I cannot answer it at all, I own and drive a straight truck.

I suggest you start by reading the FAQ in the newbie section and spend a bit of time reading as many past posts as you can stand and then maybe you can narrow down your questions.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Probably not as much as you think. Alot of threads out here will give you insight into variables of the trade. Hopefully you are not of the "easy money" mindset, like the local party store owner in my town who thought popping out a fleet of 10 vans would be easy cash flow (he had never been involved in expedite before). After he and I talked and I gave him the link to this forum, he has decided to stick with selling cigarettes to minors.

Just don't go in blind, and don't think it's "get rich quick"

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
When I was a company driver, I made my personal budget based on $400 / week. You have to plan for breakdowns ( more often than you think), slow times in the industry, gettingstuck somewhere for 3+ days and ruining your week.

Ihad more than one $250 week in a 3 month period, you need to budget and save forthose weeks.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like others say, it varies. A lot. Based on things that you may have no control over.

I operate out of the Chicago area, for a company that typically has us van drivers drive out loaded/come back dead-head. Loaded miles paid, dead-head on your own hook. This only works because I'm in the Chicago area, if you're not in a huge base market like Chicago or New York this doesn't work well. For most drivers, you're probably going point-to-point, stopping at or near the last stop waiting for the next load. So, figure in how you're going to occupy time near Champaign, Illinois if you live in Kansas City, MO and you realise it's going to be a while (like a couple of months) before you get home again.

You've got to eat, in winter you've got to keep warm, which means either burning gas/diesel or finding a place to stay, both are expensive, and one way or another you've got to find ways to fill down-time, since it's guaranteed that you will have down-time.

So, how much you can make depends-- on how much you're getting paid minus your expenses, and if you're getting paid per mile, how many of those miles get paid. Something less than half of my total miles are unpaid dead-head (back-haul freight and a couple of runs where I didn't quite make it home before getting called on the next run cut into the dead-head), and remember that those dead-head miles still burn fuel which comes out of your total pay. Maintenance and break-downs figure in too, especially for those of us who thought we'd make big bucks being owner-operators of our vehicles.

Think that last item isn't a worry? OK--- last July I broke down in Tuscola, Illinois. I had a Sprinter, and the turbocharger broke. Before everything was said and done, it wiped me out (there was more than the turbo, that only started an expensive chain-reaction) and it's only because I have friends that I was able to get back on my feet. Otherwise, I'd probably be living on the street right now. No joke. Right now I'm driving a Chevy van which is older than dust, but it's still got some miles left if I can keep the maintenance up.

Don't be scared away, but do be aware that this business isn't a gold mine. Especially today when everybody is cutting expenses at our cost.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What carrier are you planning on leasing to? Are you going to be a O/O or or drive someone elses van? How big of a van do you have? How is it set up? How long do you plan on staying out on the road at 1 time? how much home time do you requirer?

How much do you NEED to make?? Do you know your "cost per mile"?? Do you have a "business plan" that outlines how you will go about covering / making the needed cost per mile??

Are you planning on supportting just the business expenses or are you planning on supportng a household also? Do you have streams of income?

Oh, how well do you know the EXPEDITING business??

Pirate

Active Expediter
There is no hard and fast figure. However, for the sake of a ball park figure, I'd say about $600 on average is a realistic guestimate. Keep in mind, they'll be some weeks in which you earn over $1,000 and others in which you'll earn next to nothing.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all honesty there is a chance you will make money but there is also a chance you could lose money. Buy a van sign it on, run for a month have a major breakdown and no money to get it fixed. You have suddenly lost your investment plus the time you could have been doing something else.

As many say it is never a bad idea to drive for someone else for a short time to find out if you even like the business or not. It certainly is not for everyone.