How many of you are hams?

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Ok first of all i am talking about ham radio. Tomorrow I am going to be taking my ham radio operator tech lic test. I fully expect to pass that one so far the practice tests that I have been taking daily I have a 93% adv so that’s a no brainer I will also take the general which I fully expect to fail. I just got the books Wednesday but I just want to see how I do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How good is your morse? Mine is very weak, have not used it in 15 or 20 years. I am NOT a ham but my little brother is.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got my general license. Code is no longer part of the exam. You may be surprised and pass the general also. It wasn't that difficult. The tech license 30 years ago was much harder than the general is now. The hardest part of the whole deal will be choosing radios and then getting a decent ground on your truck that has basically no metal except the two frame rails underneath. Good luck and 73.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NO CODE?? What a crock!!! LOL!! Dit Da - Alpha!!! Shouting this at the top of my lungs!! Just like ASA code school!!! Is it any wonder I am like I am? :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I CAN TEACH YOU, waving my hands wildly!! It invovles lots of screaming, shouting and self-humiliation!!! LOTS of fun!!! :rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you get 90 or better on the practice tests, then you will pass unless you have a severe hangover and pass out during the exam.

If you get 80 or better on the general practice, you will also pass, again unless you have a severe hangover and pass out during the exam.

The Extra is a different story, that is sort of hard... but......

Oh and good luck.....

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
I am an Extra Class Ham ( and A radio operator to boot! )

If you want something to listen to to study for the tests, I've done a free podcast version of a class for General and Tech and working on the Extra right now. Home of the Ham Radio Podclass - Get your first ham

We should start an HF net for Hams in Trucking. (I'm not in trucking yet)

My call is N7LMJ

73 da dit da!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Benzoid,
I am the guy that has emailed you about the podcasts and i passed i guess i did ok i got 100% on the tech test today. I was only up to chapter 2 in the book for the general so i didnt expect to pass it and was right lol. I only got the book wed afternoon so i plan on taking my next test next month if they have a testing class.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I took one of my tests in Alabama on a weekend waiting between loads. You can check arrl.org to find those as well as hamfests on weekends.

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
Benzoid,
I am the guy that has emailed you about the podcasts and i passed i guess i did ok i got 100% on the tech test today. I was only up to chapter 2 in the book for the general so i didnt expect to pass it and was right lol. I only got the book wed afternoon so i plan on taking my next test next month if they have a testing class.

Congrats on the new Ticket! Be sure to send me your callsign when you get it. Check wm7d.net for the fastest call lookup.

Just listen to the General Podclass and you will pass with flying colors! That was our best work. :)

The Extra is taking a Looooooong time to finish.. That test is over the top! To teach it or even scratch the surface, is just as hard as studying for it.

73 de N7LMJ

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a good radio but it's an awfully tiny screen. That's the only thing I don't like about it. Have you checked reviews on eham.net?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I borrowed one for a few months and it was ok, but when I got the IC-7000 to use I was sold - a better radio.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
You will enjoy the radio on the road. I was a ham prior to expediting. Keep you 2m on 146.520 on the road. I (and others) look for the antenna and will yell for you on the nat. simplex freq.

73's

Rikk
Kg4aa0
FedEX CC DR4394

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well i passed me general exam last weekend i am KJ4PUK in the Zanesville Oh area i am on 146.610 the repeater tone is 74.4 in the evening when i am in new stanton pa i am on 145.150 the tone there is 88.5