how many miles in a day?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Based on the information contained in the OP, it seems clear enough that it's Safeway Expediting. It's what first came to my mind and is why I replied in the manner in which I did.

Far as I know, Safeway has broker authority only and has zero registered power units registered with the DOT. I think they have at least one Sprinter cab chassis box truck that should have a DOT number on the door but it doesn't. Because, I believe, they are a classic example of a rogue carrier running under the radar and skirting as many of the FMCSA regulations as possible - all of them. I would be shocked to find that they had the proper insurance for expediting.

"Safeway does not use independent contractors to provide service to our clients. Independent contractors may not always maintain their vehicles, have the right equipment or carry workers compensation. This leaves the door open for service failures, breakdowns and the risk for an on the job injury that the contractor may not have coverage for.

This method of providing service is the business model of most of our competitors. When shopping for a critical delivery provider, look for companies that use employee drivers, company vehicles and are fully insured."

Reactions: jcochristoph

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I am sure I am not the only expediter in a van who goes from MI to el paso or even nogales,AZ you should call this guy and ask him at what speed his transit times are based on. used to be about 45 mph maybe 50 mph. I base mine on 50
although I say direct drive I still base it on 50 mph and at 50 mph el paso is a 35 hour drive that is completed in 28 hours of drive time given me 7 hours of sleep between detroit and el paso. easily done safely but still considered a direct drive. expediting in a cargo van is not nor should it ever be regulated if you want to be regulated drive a regulated truck.sure I take 3-4 hour naps and continue on if you want a 12 hour work day get a factory job.but for me if I am on the road then I am here to work if I want 10 hours of sleep I prefer it to be in my bed at home.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see your point, but I believe if you haul any frieght for hire you should be regulated.

Why have unregulated people in direct competition with my regulated company ?

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I understand completely what you are saying BigStickJr....kind of like Union vs. Non union on the same job site. ..but isn't that what creates our niche in the freight moving business. Especially in offsetting the snail pace regulated freight has to take because of the imposing and in some ways ridiculous regs ?
It all comes down to the best regulation would be self regulation via common sense. Unfortunately that solution is only an illusion though I realize.

Reactions: Charity's Van

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am sure I am not the only expediter in a van who goes from MI to el paso or even nogales,AZ you should call this guy and ask him at what speed his transit times are based on.
The transit times are really irrelevant. The relevancy is, as independent contractor you're the one who gets to make that call, accept or refuse, based on your own criteria. The forced dispatch of Safeway removes the ability to turn down a load that in the opinion of the one driving it would put the driver and/or others in danger. If your own self-regulation via common sense tells you that you are not rested enough to safely accept a 1500 mile run, you'll turn it down, but you can't do that as an employee in a company vehicle under forced dispatch.
expediting in a cargo van is not nor should it ever be regulated if you want to be regulated drive a regulated truck.
No one is arguing for the regulation of cargo van, other than straight truck drivers who are jealous of cargo van drivers who don't have to log. Vehicles are regulated solely on the basis of the risk they present to general public. Cargo vans, even those hauling freight, present the same exact risk to the general public as do automobiles, pickup trucks and SUVs. The crash, injury and death data compiled by the DOT and the NHTSA prove that beyond any doubt, and it's why the DOT has no plans whatsoever to regulate vehicles simply because they haul freight in interstate commerce.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cargo Vans are riskier for a few reasons.
1) There aren't too many people like Mr Safeway out pushing people to drive autos 20 hours. And you don't have to have that 20 quota to push people past their limit. Some people can do 1000 miles today but are not smart enough to realize they can't do it tomorrow.
2) Few automobiles are out there 100,000 miles per year. Cargo Vans raise to extreme exposure levels.

Regulations to CV's wouldn't end the industry. Put two drivers in a van, let them log as a team. Costs would rise and so would rates.
Van comfort would improve.
Pull in scales and show legal weights and valid insurance.

Where's the problem for legitimate operations?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd get a call. I'd usually bid $x.xx per mile.
If it'd fit in a van, I'd immediately figure on no call back.
If it needed a larger truck I'd keep an open mind.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The NHTSA and DOT have actual data that disagrees with you. They monitor and keep track of this stuff. Do you think they are unaware of the existence of cargo vans and how many miles they drive?

1) Anyone can pick out exceptions to the rule of risk. Yes, cargo vans who push the limits are riskier than the average car that doesn't. Then again, cars that push the limits are equally riskier than cargo vans that don't. As a percentage of accidents (percent of vehicles in class and percent of mile driven), cars are involved in far more accidents than are cargo vans hauling freight. Hauling freight is not in and of itself more risky.

2) The more miles that is put on a vehicle increases the risk of an individual vehicle, but not necessarily for every vehicle in that class. Even accepting your assertion that cargo vans raise risks to extreme exposure levels, when an accident does occur with one it is no more damaging than any other car, pickup or SUV. Heavy trucks and buses, as a class of vehicle, are inherently riskier, and not because they haul freight. It's because of the damage they do in an accident. It's also why even unregulated vehicles are thus regulated when they are hauling an amount of hazardous materials which presents an unreasonable risk to the public or the environment.

It's an example of unnecessary and over regulation. It wouldn't make the roads or the public any safer (you can argue that it would, but the data doesn't support that argument).

It would eliminate the jealously of straight truck drivers, though, so there is that.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I see your point, but I believe if you haul any frieght for hire you should be regulated.

Why have unregulated people in direct competition with my regulated company ?

because your company has the option to run unregulated vehicles along with regulated . it is not just in trucking this is happening even pig farmers are regulated once they produce so many head per year and they argue against the small pork producers saying that the regulated production methods are safer and healthier. constantly trying to put the small family farmer out of business so they can control more of the market share. but the truth is once big brother gets involved cost is driven up and profit down. they end up doing more work for less pay.the drivers in the big rig is under a lot more stress than the van driver just like the pigs in these confined operations. tell me your but hole never puckers up when you get the red light at a scale house or even the arrow to go across the scale for that matter.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
1) There aren't too many people like Mr Safeway out pushing people to drive autos 20 hours. And you don't have to have that 20 quota to push people past their limit. Some people can do 1000 miles today but are not smart enough to realize they can't do it tomorrow.
2) Few automobiles are out there 100,000 miles per year. Cargo Vans raise to extreme exposure levels.

Regulations to CV's wouldn't end the industry. Put two drivers in a van, let them log as a team. Costs would rise and so would rates.
Van comfort would improve.
Pull in scales and show legal weights and valid insurance.

Well for one I am not sure that a van loaded with 2 or 3 skids would leave enough room for the resting driver to be in a regulation sleeper and if your in the passenger seat your on duty. and if you have any freight in a cargo van the resting driver would be sleeping in the cargo area and not all people even have enough common since to secure the freight.
even if you have the wall between how big of a hit will it really take?Not really convinced there are any more unregulated trucks running without proper insurance vs regulated. on board scales would be nice but again the common since thing would come into play. No problem with a legit operation but no one will ever be able to regulate common since.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
one more point

can anyone argue the fact that cargo at rest is cargo at risk?

it happened to me in Ocala, FL around 5 years ago 6 skids of used computers bound for miami in nose of trailer parked truck at pilot over holiday weekend went home for the night. in less than 12 hours they climbed over my freight in back of trailer and hand unloaded 2 skids of junked computers. luckily it was an ltl that paid more than the value of the 2 skids and was able to cover the cost out of the load pay without evolving into insurance claim.

steppenwolf

New Recruit
Researching
How about using a pony express method for the long hauls? If cargo needs to go 1500 miles have one driver do the first 700 or 800 miles and then hand off to another driver at a regional office to do the other 750 miles. You would have to have regional offices but it would be less wear and tear on drivers and vehicles and safer than driving straight thru.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
How about using a pony express method for the long hauls? If cargo needs to go 1500 miles have one driver do the first 700 or 800 miles and then hand off to another driver at a regional office to do the other 750 miles. You would have to have regional offices but it would be less wear and tear on drivers and vehicles and safer than driving straight thru.

Happens all the time with Panther and some of the other more legit operations I've done a few dozen of these over the years never had the original load but have done second legs cause I won't even begin to deal with that load if it's more than 5-600 miles .
That why teams are used so the truck can basically do non stop 24-7

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How about using a pony express method for the long hauls? ...You would have to have regional offices but...
The key isn't regional offices, but available trucks near the swap point to which to transfer the freight. Swaps can be made at LTL truck terminals and several other places that have forklifts. Also, an available truck must be willing to go where the load delivers. Picking up a load in Detroit going to Laredo, sure, you can probably find an available cargo van in Memphis, but does that driver want to go to Laredo? Maybe.

Longer loads heading out west to less desirable locations becomes even more problematic. What about a load from Cincinnati to Spokane, WA? Probably need 3 legs for that one. Will there be an available trucks in Sioux Falls, SD willing to take it to Billings, MT for the 2nd leg? What about a truck sitting there at the ready in Billings, and willing to go to Spokane. Probably not.

And unless you're Panther, swapping out a load for a 2nd or 3rd leg will likely require using a carrier other than your own, which introduces a whole new set of problems and issues to deal with.

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The NHTSA and DOT have actual data that disagrees with you. They monitor and keep track of this stuff. Do you think they are unaware of the existence of cargo vans and how many miles they drive?

1) Anyone can pick out exceptions to the rule of risk. Yes, cargo vans who push the limits are riskier than the average car that doesn't. Then again, cars that push the limits are equally riskier than cargo vans that don't. As a percentage of accidents (percent of vehicles in class and percent of mile driven), cars are involved in far more accidents than are cargo vans hauling freight. Hauling freight is not in and of itself more risky.

2) The more miles that is put on a vehicle increases the risk of an individual vehicle, but not necessarily for every vehicle in that class. Even accepting your assertion that cargo vans raise risks to extreme exposure levels, when an accident does occur with one it is no more damaging than any other car, pickup or SUV. Heavy trucks and buses, as a class of vehicle, are inherently riskier, and not because they haul freight. It's because of the damage they do in an accident. It's also why even unregulated vehicles are thus regulated when they are hauling an amount of hazardous materials which presents an unreasonable risk to the public or the environment.

It's an example of unnecessary and over regulation. It wouldn't make the roads or the public any safer (you can argue that it would, but the data doesn't support that argument).

It would eliminate the jealously of straight truck drivers, though, so there is that.
Trust me ........We are not jealous.

Reactions: Turtle

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Great read for anyone whose heavy thinking goes beyond what's for dinner.
Drivers often complain that the insurance companies wield too much influence on company policies.
I don't think drivers realize how much puckering goes on behind closed doors when its annual renewal time.
Insurance , or lack there of , is probably most fleet owners biggest worry.