How Goes the New 34-Hour Restart for You?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dear Valued Members,

We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that the purpose of the EO community is to be a source of friendship and friendly advice. We hope to provide an environment for our members to support each other, as they deal with the challenges that they face in their business endeavors.

We appreciate healthy debate and people's difference of opinions, but we must ask that you refer to the Terms of Use as a reminder of how to keep posts appropriate.

Also, please remember to use the "ignore" feature or just refrain from reading posts or threads that you find offensive. We appreciate your efforts to keep the controversial topics from becoming offensive and hope that you will continue to do so.

EO Moderator Ken aka OVM

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
She rode with a guy I hauled trucks with for ten years.
Good guy.
In a gorgeous newer ARI sleeper.ran Sunday. Leo got a hotel while she roughed it in his sleeper.
He is on the board of OOIDA. Smart. I'm sure he informed her a lot. She didn't get to spend a night in a truckstop, fear for her life at a rest stop, or any real stuff.
Better than no trip at all.

Yes: better than no trip at all - it's something, at least.
If you get the chance, please thank Leo for doing it. Sharing the truck with a total stranger can be fun, but it can also be a miserable experience, and it was good of him to risk it on our behalf. I just hope it was an eye opener for Ms Ferro, because she seems to need one.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Ferro has visited tremendous harm on truck drivers by advancing bad HOS regs and, in my opinion, she has played many for fools with her listening sessions and conference calls, conducting such events more to provide political cover than to actually listen and learn in a way that produces positive and meaningful results.

That said, I am both surprised and pleased to see that she did this ride-along and gained the perspective she did. It seems like the real deal and the quote below suggests to me that she does indeed understand the trucking experience better now. That is not to say she will have a religious-like conversion and renounce her evil ways. But she seems to have genuinely gained a better perspective of what life and work is like on the road, and that is a good thing.

Kudos to OOIDA for setting this up and kudos to Ferro for dedicating a big chunk of time out of a schedule in which thousands of others on any given day would like to have some of her time.

"Leo took a hotel room so I could sleep in the truck,” she said. “It is a lovely sleeping cabin. I looked at that and thought about what it would be like to be in a normal sleeper berth, and how difficult it is to change your clothes, how difficult it is to get fresh water, how you have to get up in the middle of the night or in the middle of your rest period to go to the bathroom at the truck stop if you don’t have something like this accommodation; how little access you have to healthy food if you’re in a regular-sized sleeper berth. So that has been very enlightening for me.”

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
topic is: HOW goes the 34 hr restart for you.....gee whiz....

So she went on a overnight camping trip. Of course it was fun and a lil eye opener. She may have been out possibly for 34 hours but she didn't experience a reset..No different then a kids first trip to a candy store with his own money in his pocket.. At this time I feel like this is nothing but a feel good scheme to set up a smoke screen. Time will tell.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How is the restart effecting you?....Your business, your bottom line, maybe too soon to tell that yet?...until any adjustments are made ....

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
How is the restart effecting you?....Your business, your bottom line, maybe too soon to tell that yet?...until any adjustments are made ....

Well, let me see. It's caused me to consider not doing any restarts at all. In fact I tried that for a few weeks with mixed results.

Now about that Ferro truck ride... lol Just joshing ya. :)

zorry

Veteran Expediter

It's inconvenient, to say the least.
Frustrating.
Requires more thought. In the heat of battle, I don't always get it right.

You just have to deal with the hand you're dealt.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Since AF and her actions are so closely tied to HOS and the restart I don't see how the ride along discussion was off topic.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I havnt been hanging around much lately..Are you asking/stating we now need to stay on topic?
BOTH..... actually.... there is NO political reference to the title of thread...start a separate thread in the soapbox to discuss the political side if you should chose....but right now

the topic and question is real simple....how is the 34 hr restart going for you?.....Thank you in advance.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

A few months into the new rules, we have not lost any good opportunities to the new rules, but the potential exists. If circumstances line up the wrong way, we could indeed suffer a major loss because of the new rules.

There has been a major and negative quality-of-life impact. Before, one of us could move the truck from place to place while the other spent time in the sleeper or off duty to do the 34 hour restart. Now, it is no longer practical, and in many cases, no longer possible to do that.

Now, we must sit in one place for two nights. That puts us in "restart prison" for that time. No errands can be run. You can't go out for dinner or to a movie or museum. A restful day on the beach (what a great way to take a break!) can't happen because you can't park at the beach overnight. You take up valuable parking space a truck stop for two nights when you otherwise might not.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A carrier with personal conveyance would allow you to go see a movie or go to a museum.

The 34 hour restart does not affect that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A carrier with personal conveyance would allow you to go see a movie or go to a museum.

The 34 hour restart does not affect that.

What expedite carriers allow personal conveyance to the degree where running errands, visiting museums and spending a day on the beach is possible while doing a 34 hour restart?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What expedite carriers allow personal conveyance to the degree where running errands, visiting museums and spending a day on the beach is possible while doing a 34 hour restart?

I would guess...one that can not track the truck....non QC'd....