How do you make money with a cargo van?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the Freightliner dealer in Harrisburg, PA a new Sprinter transmission is $6400. At a Dodge dealer in Corsicana, TX it's $4100. At my local mechanic it's $2800.

You can get a remanufactured 04-06 Sprinter engine for $6145.84 installed.

No clown ;) should be paying over $2500 on a 02-06 Sprinter Transmission installed! Check silverstar transmission if in need.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2008 has literally generated $700k initial cost 45k yearly fuel 28k lifetime maintain 8600 ruff # 80k a year if you can't live off that better hand the checkbook to someone else !

Edit: forgot 3 sets of tires at $1200 each .... Oh and I do my own work on everything ;)

Last edited:

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Pal,I hate to be the one to tell you,but its getting harder and harder to make it in this business.All these companies well tell you how great it is........vans, sprinter,small box trucks are a dime a dozen,there companies that keep the fuel money they get as part of there profit,they drive the rates down because they can,we live off of one load they live off all the loads.Its a numbers game,they get the numbers you get the game.It was once where our loads were special a company called and a truck or van ect would come and pick up there load and drive it over nite and drop it on there customer door step the next morning(its was special).Cost more for special handling.Now you mom and pop setting in the parking lot,alone with the Russians in those yellow Penski trucks hauling for chump change.I m affair we are not going to be able to make a good living doing this any longer.Fuel not going to go down,repairs and tire cost more,a Big Mac Meal Deal is $7 bucks (where the beef)!!!!
So the next time you guys take that $1 a mile load,think about it..............good luck there aways those Greeter Job at Walmart.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Since you all seem to be talking about sprinters... I had a DEF refill message pop up... By the time I filled it, it went to 15 starts left.

All service centers are saying it will be till Tuesday or Wednesday till they can get me in. I think it just needs a re-set.... The only one I can find that knows anything and can do it quick is STOOPS in Indy....

Any advice??

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ban the Sprinters... Lol

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When it breaks--- it's a Mercedes Benz, and it'll cost like one. The newer ones are more complicated-- a combination of EPA mandated hardware and the German tendency to over-engineer everything-- and that adds to the cost.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
2011./ 190k miles.. 3500... Sat t.v / microwave/ bed/ fridge/ gen mounted on front bumper. Lots of storage. It's a nice set up. PM me if your interested.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where can you get a Sprinter transmission installed for $300 labor?

Go to Wayne Rodd in Toledo or MG Auto ltd in Chicago. $350-400 range. Also in LA there is a guy called Sprinter Expert that might be able to do it in same price range.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the difference good planning makes for Sprinter service.

1 Transmission service with filter..... 8 QTs at 6.00 = $48.00 for fluid ---dealer price 8 qts at $20.00...28.00 for gasket and filter $40.00 labout
2. installed used complete exhaust system....found a used one for 150 bucks as verses almost 2,000 at a dealer
3. 2 new hanger bearings for drive shaft....old ones weren't broken but they were originals....pre emeptive strike....
4. New and replace blower motor speed controller...
5. 2 new glow plugs replaced and installed....
Note: a tranny service at a dealer is usually between $300-$400 depending on dealer....
Total cost of all this work.....Less then $500.00

Yes the cost of Sprinter ownership is too hard to bear.....LOL

02-06 Sprinter Parts prices

Oil change $49 + $5 for filter DIY total cost $54 w/ Mobil 1 synthetic
Brakes $100 dollars a axle pads and new rotors.
Suspension front and rear $300
Air filter $15
Fuel filter $25
Cabin filter $15
harmonic balancer $250
glow plugs $75 qty 5
Transmission filter/gasket $15
Transmission fluid $45-75 depending on brand used.
Tires $500 installed for Kumho Road Venture.

Anything else feel free to inquire. :) A little prior experience in automotive reconditioning may be useful in this industry! :)

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
2011./ 190k miles.. 3500... Sat t.v / microwave/ bed/ fridge/ gen mounted on front bumper. Lots of storage. It's a nice set up. PM me if your interested.

3500? How do you make the skids go between wheel wells?

Last edited:

Therion

Active Expediter
Since you all seem to be talking about sprinters... I had a DEF refill message pop up... By the time I filled it, it went to 15 starts left.

All service centers are saying it will be till Tuesday or Wednesday till they can get me in. I think it just needs a re-set.... The only one I can find that knows anything and can do it quick is STOOPS in Indy....

Any advice??

I'm just wondering which is more economical to run in the long term, a new diesel Sprinter or a gas Ford E Series. Sure the Sprinter get's better fuel economy BUT diesel is more expensive per gallon and you're also buying DEF. Then not to mention the more expensive parts when something breaks....