How do you make money with a cargo van?

Therion

Active Expediter
YES...get your training and go straight truck driving....the real money is there!!!

So realistically how much can a class 6 straight truck bring in a week? Do you need a lift in back, I would think not since the trucks are dock high. Also what are the usual age limits these companies like Panther or Load 1 have for straight trucks? Finally how do you "expedite" when you're limited to 11 hours driving per shot? Or are most loads within 700 miles or so?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think straight truck drivers will tell you class 7 minimal class 8 preffered. You would be under the same dot rules as a semi.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Yes dock high, hydraulic brakes, correct licensing from your state, medical card, over 10k lbs you'll need log books.
On average, in a 24', you can move 42-48 mph over a span. So around 500 miles in 11 hours. I've seen guys do way upon that hauling *** through the night.
Find a partner, pay him $20 an hour, and be a team. Prices vary, by truck size and load. But like everything else, bigger the better... stuck in a bad spot? With the right carrier a van load will more then pay the gas and get you outta there. Even a 24' only costs 40¢ a mile.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Forget the Spartan crap...get a real van that gets good MPG's....15-16 MPG's doesn't get the job done with rates where they are at now....minimum 18-20 mpg...keep that CPM low!!!

I am keeping my CPM low...by paying for gas instead of diesel, and having no van payment, and cheap, rare repairs. My maintenance and repairs YTD cost me 2.5 cents per mile. At 13 MPG, average, with gas costing at $3.25 per gallon, that alone has a .25 CPM cost to me....add the 2.5, and I roll for 27.2 cents per mile...oh yea, insurance just over a penny a mile averaging 70,000 miles a year..so let's say, 28.5 cents per mile....not bad....averaging $1.06 for all miles last year? That's .78 CPM profit, all miles. I can live with that.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I keep wanting to make this joke, might as well.

You can make money in a van. The problem is, the government frowns on you printing money in your van, so--- maybe not. Prison sentences for counterfeiting being what they are.

Note on the implication that only Sprinter vans make any money-- only in fuel costs. When that thing breaks down, it's a Mercedes Benz. It costs like it, too. I can replace my entire van for what it costs for a replacement engine in the Sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

You can make money in a van. The problem is, the government frowns on you printing money in your van, so--- maybe not. Prison sentences for counterfeiting being what they are.

Note on the implication that only Sprinter vans make any money-- only in fuel costs. When that thing breaks down, it's a Mercedes Benz. It costs like it, too. I can replace my entire van for what it costs for a replacement engine in the Sprinter.

I am sorry..I miss your point?.....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After reading some stuff on EO. I have to stop reading and question ...Who ties these people's shoes for them ....?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After reading some stuff on EO. I have to stop reading and question ...Who ties these people's shoes for them ....?

What are shoes?

IMGP8704.JPG

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

they don't....they all have velcro closures.....LOL

Therion

Active Expediter

LOL

You can say that again. The other week I was at a usual shipper and another courier in a big white fancy Sprinter pulls in so we get to chatting. He said he's struggling and his van just threw a check engine light. He took it to the MB dealer and they wanted $2,800 to go through the whole EGR system! I was thinking I could probably get a whole new remanufactured engine and transmission for my Ford for that kind of money.

Don't get wrong they're very nice vans but I don't know if I'd like to own one out of warranty.,

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL

You can say that again. The other week I was at a usual shipper and another courier in a big white fancy Sprinter pulls in so we get to chatting. He said he's struggling and his van just threw a check engine light. He took it to the MB dealer and they wanted $2,800 to go through the whole EGR system! I was thinking I could probably get a whole new remanufactured engine and transmission for my Ford for that kind of money.

Don't get wrong they're very nice vans but I don't know if I'd like to own one out of warranty.,

Because of clowns like that, sprinter owner talking like that...gives sprinter ownership a bad name....It is not as all bad as that in most cases.....

I was at a Ford Dealer one day....when I owned one LTD.....the guy next me his bill was like $1,100....for a bad fuse box....WTH??....They had him marked as "stupid"...7 hours just to trace the bad wire ...another to replace said components....horror stories can be found in EVERY model if you look for them....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At the Freightliner dealer in Harrisburg, PA a new Sprinter transmission is $6400. At a Dodge dealer in Corsicana, TX it's $4100. At my local mechanic it's $2800.

You can get a remanufactured 04-06 Sprinter engine for $6145.84 installed.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

LOL

These are good examples of not seeing the forest for the trees.
In 635000 miles that I put on my Sprinter, no major breakdown, getting 26 mpg, compared with a gasser at 13 mpg, I saved the price of a brand spanking new sprinter in fuel costs, not just an engine or transmission.

Folks, in this vanning business, MPG is the most important factor in making or not making money, yet very few people are concerned about it. :banghead:

Did I mention that I love my $printer? :D

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I put 435000 on my Sprinter in a little over 4 years. For the most part, it was profitable, and I do like standing up to put my pants on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
These are good examples of not seeing the forest for the trees.
In 635000 miles that I put on my Sprinter, no major breakdown, getting 26 mpg, compared with a gasser at 13 mpg, I saved the price of a brand spanking new sprinter in fuel costs, not just an engine or transmission.

Folks, in this vanning business, MPG is the most important factor in making or not making money, yet very few people are concerned about it. :banghead:

Did I mention that I love my $printer? :D

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

AGREED....You seen I said the same thing last week.....in this market right now....MPG's are one of the biggest factors that YOU the operator has direct control over for your profit...or money on your pocket....you cn give it over to the big oil companies it is your choice....or put it in your own pocket....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the Freightliner dealer in Harrisburg, PA a new Sprinter transmission is $6400. At a Dodge dealer in Corsicana, TX it's $4100. At my local mechanic it's $2800.

You can get a remanufactured 04-06 Sprinter engine for $6145.84 installed.

the difference good planning makes for Sprinter service.

1 Transmission service with filter..... 8 QTs at 6.00 = $48.00 for fluid ---dealer price 8 qts at $20.00...28.00 for gasket and filter $40.00 labout
2. installed used complete exhaust system....found a used one for 150 bucks as verses almost 2,000 at a dealer
3. 2 new hanger bearings for drive shaft....old ones weren't broken but they were originals....pre emeptive strike....
4. New and replace blower motor speed controller...
5. 2 new glow plugs replaced and installed....
Note: a tranny service at a dealer is usually between $300-$400 depending on dealer....
Total cost of all this work.....Less then $500.00

Yes the cost of Sprinter ownership is too hard to bear.....LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
MPG and deadhead are the two things that will kill you dead out here, and the two things you have control over.