How do teams get paid?

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Is this even worth it if the money is not going to the same household?

I don't know but in about to find out as my dad is having me train a guy next week in out van. And that's how he's gonna pay us is spilt for that week. I guess depends on how busy you are and what your driving

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Is this even worth it if the money is not going to the same household?

It depends on what your options are. If you're making your living working at Wal-Mart then you could do better in a straight truck. If it is not a same household team then driving semi is a much better option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

bluestripes

Rookie Expediter
Redytrk, how would you recommend fuel be paid in this situation? If I'm making 30%, I'm assuming it would be best if the owner paid fuel?

Also, if it is only 30%... What would that typically net me? How much does the average expediting straight truck run yield to the drivers?

bluestripes

Rookie Expediter
Ok like for Tri State for example, they have this on their website:

Dock High Straight Truck
Single - $1,800 - $2,600 per week
Team - $3,500 - $4,500 per week
65% of gross rate billed to customer
Some minimums apply
Fuel Surcharge Average $.35- $.50 per mile

If 65% is billed to the customer, does that mean the truck owner has 35% with which to pay the driver(s)? So if you team with someone, are you really only getting 17.5%?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok like for Tri State for example, they have this on their website:

Dock High Straight Truck
Single - $1,800 - $2,600 per week
Team - $3,500 - $4,500 per week
65% of gross rate billed to customer
Some minimums apply
Fuel Surcharge Average $.35- $.50 per mile

If 65% is billed to the customer, does that mean the truck owner has 35% with which to pay the driver(s)? So if you team with someone, are you really only getting 17.5%?

The 65% is the owner's cut [from what's billed to the customer]. If the owner has drivers doing the load, he gives them a percentage of that - either 40% [he buys fuel & keeps the fuel surcharge] or 60% [drivers pay for fuel & get the surcharge.] The system is largely based on trust: the owner trusts the carrier to provide accurate numbers, and the drivers trust the owner to do the same.
It has been said here many times: splitting the revenue 3 ways [owner & 2 drivers] is just not enough in a cargo van. In a straight truck, it's a bit more, but still not enough for most people to live on. [I manage in a S/T, but there's only one of me, and I know how to shop, lol].
I believe the figures cited on TriState's website are a bit on the high side, as in "pie in the sky", right? Because you can certainly have weeks like that, but the implication is that every week is like that, and trust me: they're not.
You should notice that nowhere is that figure 'promised' or 'guaranteed'. You want to find some actual TriState drivers to ask if they are doing that well, because the recruiters don't have to tell the truth. The smart ones do, but the only way to know is to talk to the people who drive for them.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Most owner pay drivers 60% of the gross to the truck and 100% of the FSC. The drivers then pay the fuel, tolls and road taxs. Then you have some owners like me that pays a team 40% of the line haul and 100% of any hand load. We get 60% of the gross to the truck and 100% of the FSC and pay all fuel and tolls. If your a solo driver you get 30% of the line haul and we pay the fuel and tolls.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I don't know but in about to find out as my dad is having me train a guy next week in out van. And that's how he's gonna pay us is spilt for that week. I guess depends on how busy you are and what your driving

As for vans I don't see how you can make it unless you own the van. That is the reason we don't own vans. We would sign on vans to our fleet for owner operators that drive their vans. I have seen to may times where two guys in a van aren't making it. Drive a straight truck if you want to make money as a team.

bluestripes

Rookie Expediter
Bruno, if teams get 40% does that mean each driver gets 20%? If that is the case would the solo driver make more at 30%?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You get 20% of what you earn and 20% of what the co-driver earns while you're sleeping.

Take the gross of a solo truck x 30%
Take the gross of a team truck x 20%

compare for your answer.

Bruno, probably operating both, may be able to tell you how a solo truck compares to a team truck.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
There are more formulas in the expedite business than Beatty Crocker has in her kitchen!! None of which taste that good !

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I have always been paid 40% as a solo if owner was paying fuel,if I had a co-driver we split the 40%. If the owner wanted driver to pay fuel,I got 60%,plus 100% FSC, team drivers have to split that after fuel and tolls. I guess I have been lucky I have never had an owner charge the IFTA tax to me. I am considerate and try to buy enough fuel for miles driven in each state. My opinion is it is not enough pay for a Team either way unless it is a same household team. Vans no way shape or form. I would never even consider a team in a van. I have done well in a W/G D unit,teaming with the owner,and my pay was 20%.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bruno, if teams get 40% does that mean each driver gets 20%? If that is the case would the solo driver make more at 30%?

If the solo driver is paying for fuel, he would [usually] get 60%. Following Turtle's 'rule of thirds', which is a pretty good ballpark estimate, the owner takes home 33%, the driver 33%, and fuel takes the last 33%. Which means your income is not so much tied to the percentage, as to your status [teams usually get longer runs] and your consumption of fuel: there are factors that affect fuel mileage you can't control, [weight, topography, wind], but the biggest factor in consumption is the driver. That makes it hard to get very specific about how much profit can be expected. If you use the rule of thirds, [ie: load pay is $900, your take home will be $300, teams split that equally], you won't be far off.