How do teams get paid?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I have always been paid 40% as a solo if owner was paying fuel,if I had a co-driver we split the 40%. If the owner wanted driver to pay fuel,I got 60%,plus 100% FSC, team drivers have to split that after fuel and tolls. I guess I have been lucky I have never had an owner charge the IFTA tax to me. I am considerate and try to buy enough fuel for miles driven in each state. My opinion is it is not enough pay for a Team either way unless it is a same household team. Vans no way shape or form. I would never even consider a team in a van. I have done well in a W/G D unit,teaming with the owner,and my pay was 20%.

Yea I would say you have been pretty lucky getting 40% as a solo. I really don't like our trucks running solo as it has been a lost for us a we pay the fuel. I feel it's not profitable to put a solo in a new truck at all to be honest even at 30%. We have only had one solo driver that has done well for us.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that would be correct. i would never put a solo in a new truck. there is a price point on a truck as to when you can put a solo in one. that raises and lowers with the term of finance but iwould not want to finance more than 2 years and have a solo in the truck. at least that is the plan we have. no more than 35k for 2 years for a solo driver. we pay our solo 40% and the third strategy is close so far.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can do 40 percent on a paid for truck for a solo (currently have one) but I would not recommend doing it with a truck that has payments. Rather than trade it in when the new one arrived we put a solo in this particular truck. Same solo is it in it four years later. Go figure.