How do most companies figure mileage?

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering how when you get a run from point A to point B is there a formula the company uses to figure mileage. I have discovered that what they pay and the miles actually ran don't seem to be the same. Help: Anyone? Anyone?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most use a program that figures zip code to zip code,sometimes it works out in our favor,must times not.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for info. I wondered why dispatch always gave me the zip code when giving me the address. Hey, my light bulb is getting brighter every day.
Jumbuck

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just glad the company I'm with now uses an actual trucker's chart to figure these things. I heard of one that used air miles--- real bad for us, especially if the trip was from, say, Lombard, Illinois to Grand Rapids, Michigan. That company mostly does local work, but every now and then they had a distance trip.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Different companies use different methods of calculating mileage. Some common mileage calculators are; PCmiler, Rand McNally, Household Goods Mileage Guide and Kevin's String and Thumbtack guide.

My carrier uses all of the above, depending on the contract with the customer. I have found most loads to be calculated with PCmiler though and that the PCmiler mileage coincides with my Garmin mileage. It would be nice to see an industry standard like PCmiler used exclusively.

Camper

Not a Member
There is no universal rule or formula with respect to figuring mileage for individual runs. It's always a good idea to keep track of the mileage yourself. Sometimes the carrier's figure can vary materially from the actual mileage. It doesn't happen too often though.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah the paid miles will cut off most corners and take you down every donkey cart path and back alley imaginable....sometimes it is more expeditious to go 30 miles around and safer...depending on the vehicle...

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
My company uses PCMiler, I find it's pretty **** close to what TomTom tells the steering wheel holder where to go.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Something else to consider on top of how the company figures the miles is whether you are incorporating the loss of pay per miles into your cpm to operate.

Another trick is how the load is dispatched. Shortest miles for pay and fastest route for dispatch time.

eb

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Your either paid on Practical miles or one of the many variations of short miles. The excuses and explanations are endless. If your not being paid practical miles, your not being paid accurately or fairly.

It is one of the oldest tricks in the book and from what I've seen, the cheapest carriers in the business are also the same carriers that pay short miles. They get you at every turn. There's no need to fight it. They will just give you one of their many explanations and tell you that's how it is. In the mean time, you'll still be paid for less miles than you drive. My opinion? that's the first sign your with the wrong carrier.

My company pays me on practical miles. I'm seldom more than 5 or maybe 10 miles off...and it can be to my favor as well. My last load I ran 12 miles less than I was paid for.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
IK don't even bother to check it anymore...it is what it is...

Do you check it under unusual circumstances? I was in St.Louis last week. Had a bid for a load going to Omaha. Fortunately, I didn't get it, because I remembered after hanging up that I-29 was closed in parts and I'd have to detour. I checked on the quoted miles, and they had quoted me and/or the customer miles without the detour.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
They tell me the DH miles the LH miles and the amount and the amount they are paying me (the money paid doesn't always come over with the load offer, but that has been discussed before) if i check anything , its a quick check to see what it is paying per mile, but after that , nope i don't check it for accuracy...i put it in the gps and go...Now i will say this, i have 3 gps's in my van...chances are really good that they all will have a different mileage...they will be close but chances are not the same....

I have never called Load 1 dispatch to ask about mileage differences, its always close and not an issue...

The detour situation, i had a run that went down I-40 about 4-5 months after the rock slide that had closed it, they miles dispatch sent routed be over to Johnson City, and they told me up front..

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too bad the mileage software couldn't be programmed when there is a road closure to flag whenever a load is punched in to take this into account...it would be up to say a supervisor to stay up to date on road closures...

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for info. I wondered why dispatch always gave me the zip code when giving me the address. Hey, my light bulb is getting brighter every day.
Jumbuck

This is one small example of why potential newbies should get themselves an A1 education on expediting provided for free within the archives of EO. With the indepth knowledge that experienced expediters have written about on EO, a newbie can start out by knowing all the tricks of the trade so he can work his knowledge to his best advantage right off the bat.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Too bad the mileage software couldn't be programmed when there is a road closure to flag whenever a load is punched in to take this into account...it would be up to say a supervisor to stay up to date on road closures...

As I understand it, it's just a matter of them doing it. Dispatch made mention of it during the I-40 rockslide Dennis mentioned. They said something about having the route flagged.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few years ago I encountered an 84 kilometer detour due to flooding in Manitoba. I informed Panther of the situation and got paid for the extra 84 kilometers. Pjjjjj, how do you like the metric touch, eh?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
A few years ago I encountered an 84 kilometer detour due to flooding in Manitoba. I informed Panther of the situation and got paid for the extra 84 kilometers. Pjjjjj, how do you like the metric touch, eh?

your speaking greek to me Mooty:rolleyes:

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
This is one small example of why potential newbies should get themselves an A1 education on expediting provided for free within the archives of EO. With the indepth knowledge that experienced expediters have written about on EO, a newbie can start out by knowing all the tricks of the trade so he can work his knowledge to his best advantage right off the bat.

No, no, it's not good enough...we need a gps class, too ::rollseyes::