How did I lose my first out!

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
We had a load cancel this morning in Dalas, TX and were given a first out. We both had to go into the truck-stop so we changed our status to "available out of truck on pager" over QC. Later, I emailed our truck owner's seceratary to tell her that we were still sitting; almost 3 days now. I told her about the cancelled load. She emailed me back saying that we lost our first out because we changed our duty status. We didn't move the truck or go out of service! We just wanted dispatch to know that they should contact us via cell phone rater than QC because we were not in the truck. Thank goodness we got the first out back but I wonder if we lost out on a load. Why wasn't I told that if we put "available out of truck on pager" we would lose our board position?

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Always make yourself out of truck on pager....even when you are in truck. Is the first thing we tell our drivers after orientation. It has to do with the way the system manually lists drivers.....you could have changed and called in to talk to dispatch and they could fix it immediately....but is a system weakness, not an intentional thing.

Charlotte

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
After reading some of lisa's recent posts,i'm glad i don't have cats on the side of my truck.(my dogs wouldn't allow it anyways.)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
After reading some of the posts, how would you like to have the driver in the truck, let alone what the dogs might get after?

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LISALEWIS, Always send a free form message such as out of truck on cell.on the qc go to create message then type it in .this way you are not using a canned message and that is why the system will not recognize it when it is a free form message.also I never go out of service sleeping as you will not get your board position until you become available and chances are they are going to wake you any way if they have a load offer.hope this helps and hang in there it will get better.be safe MR.SNAPPY

heel4you

Expert Expediter
How do you guys handle it if you need a shower or your trying to eat a decent meal!
If you get a load offer and your in the shower:
* Turn it down, get % off acceptance.
* Except load....got to move the truck within 15 minutes or the load is taken away by the computer system! (run naked to the truck!!!)
OR
* Go out of service: sleeping or maintenance for a couple of hours and lose your board position.
What do you guys do?? To me, none of these are really good choices.
Thanks,
Laura

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
With FedEx CC it seems as of that is when they love to offer you a load while in the shower. If we have not had a load offer we go take a shower knowing a load will offered in the next few minutes. Usually works. It also appears that most loads that are offered while in the shower are really good ones so you have to accept. We have always just asked the dispatcher before we accept do we have time to finish our shower and go to the pickup? We have always been told yes and we have always had the time to make our pickup. When the offer comes in we do finish our shower quickly though and go to the truck. The customer then gets clean and happy drivers!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Laura

Put your self out of truck on pager(cell) That way they will call you.
You can accept the load over the phone if you want, or tell them you need to go to the truck to review it. They won't pull the run unless they recieve no response by both cell and qc.
You will lose your board position if you knock yourself out of service and then come back in.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
Lisa,

I used to work at Panther, I don't know if that is who you drive for or not. But at that time we would have to put their first out status manually in the computer. If the driver would send over a status on their QC it would cancel out what we put in there and replace that "First Out" with the new status. If you need to let them know something when your First out, call them. Don't change status. Another option is send a free form message your out of truck. That way they can put in "First out on cell" Good Luck

:)