How are straight truck drivers driving for fleet owners doing mileage/income wise?

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Have another post on here asking about expediting companies that hire company drivers, but how are straight truck drivers driving for fleet owners doing? I know driving someone elses van is not a good idea from what I read, but what about straight truck? I'm torn between buying a van or driving for someone in a straight truck. I can always use the van personally, locally, or sell it, etc... if it doesn't work out. Do like the freedom of the van, but can understand the glut of vans out there. Thanks. I live in the Chicago area, CDL w/ hazmat, clean record, almost 3 yrs experience driving straight locally within 100 mile radius.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Re: How are straight truck drivers driving for fleet owners doing mileage/income wise

It sounds like you will be driving solo? if you are I can not give you an answer but will tell you as a general rule, teams do better then solo's. Just saying.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Re: How are straight truck drivers driving for fleet owners doing mileage/income wise

A newbie is nearly always better off to drive for an owner first, to see whether expediting is what they want to do - many find it isn't, once they've been out here awhile.
Teams [preferably husband/wife] are always in demand, but the demand far outstrips supply. Solos have to work harder, [and find a solo friendly carrier], but it can be done - if I can, anyone can, lol.
Owners are like any group of folks: some are excellent, some are awful, and most fall in between. My advice is to find one whose style is compatible [lots of interaction & direction? Very little?] and then work your hardest for them, because it's a partnership, when it works well. Same goes for carriers - different styles, different 'warts' - find one that fits your style, or your days will be HE double hockeysticks!
I've been lucky enough to find the carrier and owner who suit me pretty well, and life is good. :)

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter

Thanks all for your response. Lol...thats the trick, how do I know which owners are good? how do you know they arn't telling you just what you want to hear? Thats why I'm torn between buying a van or driving for owner in a truck. If I go van route, still going to drive for owner 1st to get feel for business b4 buying (not expecting to make much money but see it more like paid education on van expediting) I do prefer driving straight truck, seems like better for solo, and less of a glut of vehicles. I do prefer what seems income potential of straight truck and the comfort of a sleeper for being out for a long time, but do like freedom and the less restrictions of a van. So curious if straight trucks are getting descent miles. CDL with hazmat, passport(canadian crossings), clean record in Chicago. Know that teams are hot commodities, but if finding the right owner is hard, can't imagine trying to find the right person to be locked up in a truck for weeks to months at a time...lol. Prefer solo anyway. Thanks everyone.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy

"How to find a good Fleet owner" Look up "Expedite Now" this sites magazine. Volume #6 Issue #2 "How to find a good fleet owner"

greg334

Veteran Expediter

The best advice I have yet heard is this;

Figure out what you want to do and why you want to do it, then look for the company that fits your goals by fitting into their goals and then look for an owner to run with.

This person also said vans are cheap, why split the revenue with the owner when you can have it all for yourself.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

18 wheelers, straight trucks, vans,,the turnover is great. The major companies train a class a week and at the end of the year after 1000 are trained, there mite be 10 left driving. Basically in the driving business its near or exceeds 100 percent turnover each year.:D U will never hear much about that though.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

But Sky, the turnover rate only affects someone when they can't deal with normal crap and quit. Many will claim how easy the job they do is but leave out the part of the BS and the learning curve. As I showed my wife today, it's easy to drive a tractor with a trailer but it is a pain in the a** to make a lane change, she understood how someone can make this look easy.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

But Sky, the turnover rate only affects someone when they can't deal with normal crap and quit. Many will claim how easy the job they do is but leave out the part of the BS and the learning curve. As I showed my wife today, it's easy to drive a tractor with a trailer but it is a pain in the a** to make a lane change, she understood how someone can make this look easy.

I can relate to that, use to help my son drive his kenworth, its ok in a straight line,,the passing and such is a pain, u can never take ur eyes off the mirrors for over 5 seconds, cars come out of nowhere was my experience for 3 months, that was all I wanted. I enjoy the cv more, more relaxed, mobile, and not so restrictive where u can park.:D

JimmyB

Seasoned Expediter

Have another post on here asking about expediting companies that hire company drivers, but how are straight truck drivers driving for fleet owners doing? I know driving someone elses van is not a good idea from what I read, but what about straight truck? I'm torn between buying a van or driving for someone in a straight truck. I can always use the van personally, locally, or sell it, etc... if it doesn't work out. Do like the freedom of the van, but can understand the glut of vans out there. Thanks. I live in the Chicago area, CDL w/ hazmat, clean record, almost 3 yrs experience driving straight locally within 100 mile radius.

Looks to me like you've already had some good advice here.
If I were you, and what I did when I first started out in this business... Find and owner, get hooked up with an experienced lead driver who can teach you the roaps....

The amount of money you will make out here as a driver has a lot to do not only with your knowledge of the business, but also your level of motivation. Go getter making smart decisions = better paychecks... Lazy and making poor decisions = going broke

Also a theme that has been repeated multiple times over the years here and other places and holds true today is, Expediting is NOT for everyone. This is not only a choice in career but also a Lifestyle!

Good Luck,
JimmyB