Hours of Service Guide

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Yes that's great info for the driver, but. Oct 30 is when the President ( yes O'bama himself) is supposed to make a decision and sign into law the new hrs of service regulations. So I would not etch this into memory until then. If it goes back to 10 hrs driving like they say then the trucking industry will be in complete cayose. It might help the expedite industry somewhat but I don't think by much.

I might ad that OOIDA and the ATA have a lawsuit to block it, so it's up in the air.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes that's great info for the driver, but. Oct 30 is when the President ( yes O'bama himself) is supposed to make a decision and sign into law the new hrs of service regulations. So I would not etch this into memory until then. If it goes back to 10 hrs driving like they say then the trucking industry will be in complete cayose. It might help the expedite industry somewhat but I don't think by much.

I might ad that OOIDA and the ATA have a lawsuit to block it, so it's up in the air.

HOS regulations have been up in the air for most of the time Diane and I have been driving. A change will be proposed, comments will be solicited, speeches will be made, events will be held, articles will be written, official explainations will be offered, a change will be made, a law suit will be filed, a court will rule, more changes, more comments, more events, more speeches. It never stops.

And it won't stop after October 28 when the FMCSA announces the latest rule. Already, the ATA has announced that it will litigate if the new rule is different from the old. Congress is showing greater interest since the proposed rule change made the list of regulations that will cost $1 billion or more to implement.

Nevertheless, people who are on the road now or soon will be need to know what the rules are today and the above mentioned guide is a good starting point.

Last edited:

panorris62

Seasoned Expediter
I would not mind if they changed the HOS, if they would at least alow you to stop the clock for breaks. Even though you vcan drive eleven hours now there are no ways to stop the clock and once you begin the day it keeps going. There are times when I have 5+ hours of on duty not driving and I lose my driving time. E logs are coming to most carriers now and there is no way of lying on those.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new HOS regulating is sitting at the OMB at the White House where they have between 30 and I think 90 days ( might be 60 ) to approve the rule as is or to tell FMCSA to make changes to the rule. Once OMB signs off on the rule the it becomes the new HOS regulation.

At that point let all the lawsuits begin.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might come out as another Christmas surprise like last year on the proposed HOS rule.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would not mind if they changed the HOS, if they would at least alow you to stop the clock for breaks. Even though you vcan drive eleven hours now there are no ways to stop the clock and once you begin the day it keeps going. There are times when I have 5+ hours of on duty not driving and I lose my driving time. E logs are coming to most carriers now and there is no way of lying on those.

We can still use a split sleeper berth that doesn't stop the clock, but bumps it forward, provided the first break is at least 8 hrs. Which makes it pretty much worthless.
Especially for using the break to avoid big city rush hour, as I always did prior to the first change of HOS. :mad: