Hotels?

RDC

Expert Expediter
for those of you that use them on occassion , is it possible to get a room in the morning until late afternoon?Im sure most of you run all night and sleep during the day and im hoping hotels/motels understand the situation.Is that the case or isnt it possible to get a room like that?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, unless every room had been occupied the night before, and not yet cleaned - but you'll still pay the full rate for the room.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
The One's that I've been in Usually won't let you check in until atleast 11:00 A.M. And Cherri's Right, No Matter when they Let you check in Even if it's Only for a Few Hours like you asked about they Charge you the Full Rate....

RDC

Expert Expediter
but if u get a room @11am, do u have to be out at a certain time before u have to pay for 2 nights?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
RDC: your question is best answered by someone at the motel - policies differ, and I think the small 'Mom & Pop' places might be more flexible about checkin & checkout times.
Also, the Corporate Lodging card entitles you to stay 24 hrs, regardless of typical times for checking out - though you may have to explain it to the clerk.

RDC

Expert Expediter
RDC: your question is best answered by someone at the motel - policies differ, and I think the small 'Mom & Pop' places might be more flexible about checkin & checkout times.
Also, the Corporate Lodging card entitles you to stay 24 hrs, regardless of typical times for checking out - though you may have to explain it to the clerk.

thanks for all the info. Im not familiar with the Corp. card u mentioned>>>how do you go about getting one?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
checkinncard.com
I bought the little directory, well worth the money

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have found for me the more comfortable my bunk has been the less I am tempted to spend money on a room. When I do I hold out until a weekend so I can get full use. Check in about noon on a Saturday and Check out on Sunday Morning, this way I get the most for my money. I mostly bid on Priceline and have never been unsatisfied and have got some amazing deals. I never bid on the lowest star rating I think that helps with not being disappointed. I also spend time looking on normal discount sites seeing what rooms in the class are going for then discount my offer from there. I have always beat the discount site rates using this method.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I tell you, some of these motels must think they're national treasures. I was in Fargo ND a couple weeks ago, looking for a motel for a night because it was in the mid 90s and I was tired of burning fuel and not even keeping that cool doing it. I called around, and pretty much every room up there goes for at least $90 a night, and some, which seemed very ordinary, went for substantially more. Most places, I can find a perfectly decent room for half that. Their rooms must be pretty special up there.

Don't need much. Just somewhere clean, a bed, a TV, air conditioning, and wifi.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Breakdown in rural Canada and get a motel room. You'll think the rooms in Fargo are a steal. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tell you, some of these motels must think they're national treasures. I was in Fargo ND a couple weeks ago, looking for a motel for a night because it was in the mid 90s and I was tired of burning fuel and not even keeping that cool doing it. I called around, and pretty much every room up there goes for at least $90 a night, and some, which seemed very ordinary, went for substantially more. Most places, I can find a perfectly decent room for half that. Their rooms must be pretty special up there.

Don't need much. Just somewhere clean, a bed, a TV, air conditioning, and wifi.

we stayed in a Super 8 a couple years ago in W. Fargo..twas only 49.95 for a double....hmmm

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
You also need to be aware of any special events happening in the area. I spent last Tuesday night in Anikenny Iowa to reposition for a Wednesday AM flight. With the flooding in Iowa and the State fair, my Comfort Inn room was $129.00. Usually under $80.00 there. It was the last room available in that area.

If rooms are available, you can usually check in after 6am and not be charged a second day untill after noon the following day. This all varies with location, but it never hurts to ask. The Hotel loyalty cards like Choice Privleges or others usually allow late check outs and accumulate points for free stays. They are free too!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
we stayed in a Super 8 a couple years ago in W. Fargo..twas only 49.95 for a double....hmmm
I just called up there to see, and they're going for $59.95 now, but that's this week. I don't remember what those particular rooms went for when I was up there. There may have been some event going on. And I also eliminated a few that had horrendous reviews. Some reviews said their stuff got stolen from the room, they had hookers and crime there, etc. I didn't bother to call those places. Don't remember if one of those was the Super 8.

I'm running into more and more places that won't take pets. It used to be that almost every place I checked took pets at no extra charge. Then places started charging a refundable deposit. Then it became a non-refundable fee. Now it seems places that allow pets at all are disappearing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just called up there to see, and they're going for $59.95 now, but that's this week. I don't remember what those particular rooms went for when I was up there. There may have been some event going on. And I also eliminated a few that had horrendous reviews. Some reviews said their stuff got stolen from the room, they had hookers and crime there, etc. I didn't bother to call those places. Don't remember if one of those was the Super 8.

I'm running into more and more places that won't take pets. It used to be that almost every place I checked took pets at no extra charge. Then places started charging a refundable deposit. Then it became a non-refundable fee. Now it seems places that allow pets at all are disappearing.

was that the Sun to Thurs rate or weekend rate?

It was a pleasant Super 8....and NOT managed by East Indians either...

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I have found for me the more comfortable my bunk has been the less I am tempted to spend money on a room. When I do I hold out until a weekend so I can get full use. Check in about noon on a Saturday and Check out on Sunday Morning, this way I get the most for my money. I mostly bid on Priceline and have never been unsatisfied and have got some amazing deals. I never bid on the lowest star rating I think that helps with not being disappointed. I also spend time looking on normal discount sites seeing what rooms in the class are going for then discount my offer from there. I have always beat the discount site rates using this method.

xiggi,we also use the priceline method and find it is much better than going the CLC card route.

With the CLC card we found ourselves in to many crappy motels,and not really saving all that much.

With the priceline method we are now staying in Hiltons,Hyatt's,Holiday Inn's and Marriots and most time for less than what we paid with the CLC card

Last winter we were snowed in in Reno,NV for 3 days,stayed at the Circus,Circus for less than $30.00 a night.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i like red roof inns if you have the ready card you may stay to 1300 and check in early at some and res and not use a credit card to hold it to
always ask for a discount
trucker discount, aarp. sam's club, also the company may have a disount program to
never pay full price if you can help it

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
xiggi,we also use the priceline method and find it is much better than going the CLC card route.

With the CLC card we found ourselves in to many crappy motels,and not really saving all that much.

With the priceline method we are now staying in Hiltons,Hyatt's,Holiday Inn's and Marriots and most time for less than what we paid with the CLC card

Last winter we were snowed in in Reno,NV for 3 days,stayed at the Circus,Circus for less than $30.00 a night.

I like using it a lot but do more spend more time with it that I would a normal discount site. I have got some amazing deals with it way below 50% off the rack rates. It is amazing what you can get for 49.00 or 59.00 bucks sometimes. Like you said some top line hotels have been in the mix. Sounds like you stay away from the lowest star rating level too.