Hooking up a CB in a sprinter

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I am going to be driving for one of the many companies.

My question is where do you mount a CB antenna on a sprinter ??

I have a Monkeymade mm7 and wanted to mount it on the mirror , But it doesnt look feasible

Any help is appreciated

Joe

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wilson Mag mount, on the roof just behind the radio's antenna.

I've seen a lot of single and duals mounted to the Sprinter's mirrors, though. And there's also a hook-over mount you can get that allows one to be mounted to the body along the seam where the hood closes, like just in front of the mirror, for example. I've also seen some that were drilled and mounted on the roof, but you have to be careful of the height when you do that (same as with my magnetic mount). About a three foot whip is all you can do up there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This isn't a Sprinter but it should work if there is enoogh of a lip to run the screws into. It also requires drilling a hole through the firewall to run the coax.

antenna-2.jpg

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot,
Just wondering if you have an issues with the antenna mount with corrosion or did you put something behind it to help reduct the chance of rust?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After almost 7 years, no corrosion. I did use some dielectric grease on the screws and where I scraped some paint down to the bare metal behind the mounting bracket. Got a good ground and a SWR less than 1.

bg101

Expert Expediter
Do you actually need cb radio for van? I bought a sprinter with center of the roof mounted antenna mount. I bought the latest cobra lx 29 :LCD display, alarm display, weather alert, etc. however, I'm thinking of returning it. is it worth it $100 + antennas, etc?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I would say its worth it other trucks let you know what's going ahead of you alot of the time

Load One #188

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think it's definitely worth it. It's a tool of the trade. I'm not very chatty on it, don't really care which coops are open or where the bears are, but it is important to know who ain't got no panties on.

It may also be just as important to know which of the large, burley, hairy truck driver gentlemen are actually wearing panties, as they are generally to be avoided, as well.

Seriously, like Chris said, it'll help you know what's going on ahead of you. There are been many times that I've been able to get off at an exit and route around stationary traffic due to an accident or construction. If you are stuck in traffic the CB will tell you what's going on up ahead so you can better estimate the delay, which you can relay to dispatch to keep them and the customers informed. Even if you don't use it much, there are times when you'll be really glad you've got it.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have always had a cb in my van...don't ever talk on it...when I start seeing brake lights I turn it on ...saved me a few times of sitting in huge back ups..

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We mounted our antenna to the mirror.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive found CBs to be a valuable tool, ignoring the Burly panty wearers and kung fu CB masters, Ive had some good conversations going down the road, one of my favorites was a gentleman from NY who had no Idea what RED-EYE Gravy was, we promptly stopped at a truck stop in South Alabama and got him some Biscuts and Red Eye.....saved his life, all because of the CB, Get the best Trucker antennas, match the SWR or find someone who knows how, and its a good tool for local directions, the typical Bear reports, or coop action, or Nekked Bearded lady.....stop off at most truck stops and there a myriad of parts, adapters etc, if all else fails find a litte CB shop and let them install it for you. If all else fails the VICE-GRIP mounts can be used just about anywhere...