Honda Generators

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Besides the Honda, what else have you all had luck with? Looking to cool a cargo van and run laptop, etc...
I've seen some on walmart's site, think they were called generac or something along that line for about 500 bucks. I'm not familiar with that brand though.
Someone, I think it was Turtle, warned me about the Generacs. Some recurring defect caused a lot of returns. The choke lever, iirc.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I saw a Sprinter today with a big generator with frame and wheels and a big ac unit mounted to the roof.
Now I've seen everything:eek:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I purchased my honda 2000 on Ebay. Paid 700 plus shipping of 45. Having talked to many expeditors about this unit I was confident it would be in good working order. Seems like they are almost indistructable. I received it and on the second pull it took off and have had no problems.

I just recently installed an under body box on the back door and keep it in there. Have plans of mounting a 6 gal. external tank ontop of box which will eliminate any odor.

Also have installed a Haier 5000 watt AC unit in opposite side back window. However, very disappointed in the output of this unit and looking to change. Are the GE 6000 watt better?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw a Sprinter today with a big generator with frame and wheels and a big ac unit mounted to the roof.
Now I've seen everything:eek:

Just wait until you run across Forest, he has a fire place in his cargo van...then you can say you saw it all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I purchased my honda 2000 on Ebay. Paid 700 plus shipping of 45. Having talked to many expeditors about this unit I was confident it would be in good working order. Seems like they are almost indistructable. I received it and on the second pull it took off and have had no problems.

I just recently installed an under body box on the back door and keep it in there. Have plans of mounting a 6 gal. external tank ontop of box which will eliminate any odor.

Also have installed a Haier 5000 watt AC unit in opposite side back window. However, very disappointed in the output of this unit and looking to change. Are the GE 6000 watt better?

about a 1,000 better....:rolleyes:

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Have seen generators mounted in front of the van behind a grill guard. Anyone know who makes and/or sell them this big?
Thanks

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I saw an extended cab dually pickup yesterday with a home AC mounted in the rear window.....gues the AC went out on the truck and that was a cheap fix:eek::rolleyes:

terrylee

Active Expediter
I've been seeing the vans with those generators on the front for awhile, in those (I guess they're called grill guards, right?) carrier things. Knowing ya'll are staying cool in the summer without running your motor fills me with envy. I've been running my motor with ac on for a long time and it's not the fuel consumption that worries me, but the wear and tear on the motor. By reading these forums, I'm trying to figure out how to set this up for myself. My Sprinter has a sleeper with permanent bulkhead, so I don't have that much to cool. What size generator do you think I need? I also have micro and fridge, but it's built in and I don't have a clue where the wires are for them. I mostly just need to stay cool! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
One member (notanewbie) here had a permanent bulkhead in his sprinter. He had a regular window a/c installed in the bulkhead. A small window unit would be enough for your small space and it could be ran with a 2000 watt honda generator. The a/c would be cheap ($200-$300?), the genrator costs $1,000 or less (i think) and it could be stored inside if you didn't want to carry it on the front or rear bumper.

If you want to carry it on the front bumper, you need a cargo carrier built for the front. There are a few threads here about the different setups. Most use a front mount receiver hitch, then just mount the carrier to that.

So, for a round number.... I would guess $1,500 - $2,000 turnkey.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If you have a rear hitch I can set you up with a swing away carrier and a 3200 watt generator for a thousand dollars. just PM me

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With a small area like that you could use a Honda 2000 just fine. On an 07 or newer sprinter i would never use a rear hitch mount without beefed up suspension. The sag from heavier weights is already bad. Adding weight to the rear is a bad idea. If you have the money stick with a Honda, yamaha or other quite gen. Your parking lot neighbors will appreciate it.

Last edited:

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
use the back door get a small 2500 watt gen from anywhere mine costed 299 then you will need to install a metal platform or cage on back door with for bolts drill hole thru door run cords up the same side of van out of way of cargo space. you will also need to bolt the gen to the metal platform and I use some bungee s just in case. works real good all I have to do is fuel it up and start and stop it as needed

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Honda is the best thing I ever purchased for being on the road.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Im hoping soon ill be buying a 1500 watt roof top ac with heat pump and a honda 3,000 watt gen. would this be too much gen. I would like to buy a sprinter bumper guard and mount the gen in the front. I would like to here what yall think?

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im hoping soon ill be buying a 1500 watt roof top ac with heat pump and a honda 3,000 watt gen. would this be too much gen. I would like to buy a sprinter bumper guard and mount the gen in the front. Weight in everyone

For a 15000 btu roof air that's about right gen wise. If you insulate well 15000 might be overkill but better to big than too small. I think i am going with 11500 and a 2000 watt genny unless i go with the yamaha 2400.

I have heard the heat pumps aren't that great but have no personal experience with them.