hitch receiver bumper

Batman

Seasoned Expediter
Where can I obtain a hitch receiver that has a guard attached to it to prevent forklift truck operators from damaging the bumper on my cargo van when loading pallets?
If anyone knows of any websites or a store in central Indiana I can go to it would be greatly appreciated.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
SOme of the hitch receivers have a piece that slides in and one of our guys has one with the vehicle mfr logo on it. I've seen others the same and it works for him as the forklifts usually hit it first instead of the bumper or box. I have seen one that a guy added on a piece that was wider by about a foot so it caught the forklift across the mast keeping them off the truck a couple of inches.
Rob

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stylin Concepts in Valley View Ohio sells a Step Bar that goes in the hitch it's about 3 1/2 Feet wide. Black or Chrome, I used one in my cargovan it's does the job. Their on the Net., Just google them

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Batman, you might also want to check out a welding shop, they would be able to custom fab one for you. I ended up going to a trailer/welding shop and they fabbed one for me that is almost as wide as my bumper, capped the ends, ground down the welds and painted it black all for $70. It was done to my specs. Take a look in my profile photo album and look at the back of my van, you'll see what I am talking about. Plus by the looks of the hitch steps out there on the market you are gonna pay the same price for a custom one as a 12" one from a store.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
try local u haul dealer they install hitchest

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I just leave my regular ole reciver w/ the ball on it .....that always stops em

skip432

Seasoned Expediter
Batman, I purchased two hitches one for front and one for back from curt manufacturing in GA for 350.00 with free shipping. Rear is very simple to install. Free shipping with purchase of 150 or more. Class 3 is all you need for protection at bumper. Less than 140.00. Need torque wrench for proper installation. Believe they torque at 70 ft. lbs. Do broad search for Curt Manufacturing. Well built and worth the money. I leave a cheap stinger in the rear purchased at harbor freight. Been there a yr. now and gets bumped daily with no damage to bumper. Good luck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone posted on here once about seeing a person using a boat buoy as a bumper guard. I went to walmart purchased one and two flat bungees. I leave the bungees attached to the van interior and the other end hooked to the buoy. I open my doors grab it and put it horizontal across my bumper takes all of five seconds. Have been using it for about six months now. It works great at a fraction of the cost! It also lets the forklift get closer to the van, I have had more than one forklift operator comment how it is easier to load with it than having a hitch sticking further out from the van.

Another advantage is if a forklift hits it a little hard it acts as a shock absorber and gives some and does not jar your tranny like a fixed hitch will.

Last edited:

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Another advantage is if a forklift hits it a little hard it acts as a shock absorber and gives some and does not jar your tranny like a fixed hitch will.

That is indeed a good idea. Here's another:

When loading, always leave your vehicle in neutral with parking brake on. Nothing will ruin a tranny faster than being constantly jolted while in park. Even if the forklift doesn't actually hit the vehicle, just the motion of being loaded can cause damage to the driveline. this applies to all sizes of vehicles BTW.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:) Yes putting in neutral with parking brake set is important. I also chock the tires .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
5 years with my Sprinter and no damage to the bumper...no hitch either..nada..just me between the lift operator and van to slow him/her down...never if you can help it park on a ramp..either at the top or at the bottom...IF you must load/unload on a ramp then have the operator come as close as possible so when they reverse the impact is minimal...

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
The boat bumpers are a great idea! Heck, I may even start wearing those around my neck when I go out drinking! Safety first!